What kind of dashcam does an uber driver really need?

ElsaNS7

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
G900, G840S, G850, G840H, i07, i17
What's the ideal dashcam for Uber drivers? Any fellow drivers out there willing to share their honest opinions?

First check your regulations, what features are banned, what is required by the regulations, there are big differences in different places.

Think about voice recording, you may want a good microphone for recording the rear, but in some places audio recording may not be allowed.
How many video channels do you want, are you recording the interior, or is that not allowed?
How long do you want to keep the recordings? Only when you press the button, 1 full day of driving, 1 full week of driving in case someone complains about an incident after a few days? In some countries it may be illegal to keep anything that is not required for more than a few minutes.

What's the ideal dashcam for Uber drivers?
The answer will be different for every driver and for every city!

What's the ideal dashcam for Uber drivers? Any fellow drivers out there willing to share their honest opinions?
Have a look at this video.
I'm happy to answer questions honestly.
It is the classic uber scenario.
This is a Vantrue Nexus 5 or N5 with 4 cameras.

Also the T130 might be an option.
I'll see if I can rustle up some video.

VIOFO A139 seems a good choice as it has front, back and inside cameras, and the inside has night vision. I have one.

Any 3 channels (front + interior + rear; e.g. Viofo A139 Pro, Vantrue N4 Pro) or 4 channel that does front, interior front, interior rear, and rear (e.g. Vantrue N5).

Any 3 channels (front + interior + rear; e.g. Viofo A139 Pro, Vantrue N4 Pro) or 4 channel that does front, interior front, interior rear, and rear (e.g. Vantrue N5).
Many brands are selling 3-channel machines, what are the criteria for choosing these 3-channel machines? I've seen a lot of people recommend Vantrue, where did you hear about it?

First check your regulations, what features are banned, what is required by the regulations, there are big differences in different places.

Think about voice recording, you may want a good microphone for recording the rear, but in some places audio recording may not be allowed.
How many video channels do you want, are you recording the interior, or is that not allowed?
How long do you want to keep the recordings? Only when you press the button, 1 full day of driving, 1 full week of driving in case someone complains about an incident after a few days? In some countries it may be illegal to keep anything that is not required for more than a few minutes.

You make a valid point. Last month, Uber introduced mandatory audio recording in Chicago, which has resulted in dissatisfaction among many drivers due to concerns about privacy infringement and safety protection. Dashcams have indeed filled a gap in this regard. In fact, I am a brand representative for WOLFBOX, and I would like to gather genuine customer feedback here. Welcome everyone to freely express their opinions, whether they are positive or negative. Your input is valuable to us!

Have a look at this video.
I'm happy to answer questions honestly.
It is the classic uber scenario.
This is a Vantrue Nexus 5 or N5 with 4 cameras.
Such a video is really real, may I ask what keywords did you search to know this brand?

The N5 as far as i know is the ultimate ride share camera. ( i am currently testing it as vantrue provided me with a sample )
BUT ! like many of them, if not all, it can be taken right off the windscreen if a disgruntled passenger wanted to.

So if you look at this issue from the most dark perspective, then there are no perfect camera for ride share, well maybe aside dedicated CCTV cameras for taxis, but then in turn it probably do not have a camera out the windscreen.

Also due to its form factor, the N5 is a challenge.
For me to use it with my car as it is, i would have to mount it very low on the windscreen so it can film below the rear view mirror, but having something there is not legal in Denmark.
You could also offset it quite a bit to a side, but that is also not optimal due to the curve of a windscreen, and the N5 not having front camera or front cabin camera that can swivel to the sides, so the footage will be a little crooked.
Not a super big issue due to the wide angle lenses used, but never the less a factor to take into account.

In my car to test the N5, and as i must insist on having it up high on the windscreen, well i have removed my mirror at least for the first months of testing.

#2 ride share camera got to be the Viofo A139, it have its interior camera on a wire so you can place it anywhere along the top of the windscreen, in my car as the mirror come off the roof, i put the interior camera on the mirror stalk, and so it was right in the midle and up high where seats in the car have less chance of blocking view to people on back seat.

On reflection, the Vantrue N4 Pro has the benefit of having a screen, so passengers would clearly see you have a camera. The screen can be switched to display the interior camera, so they know they are being recorded.

仔细想想,Vantrue N4 Pro的好处是有屏幕,所以乘客可以清楚地看到你有一个摄像头。屏幕可以切换以显示内部摄像头,以便他们知道自己正在被录制。

Vantrue N4 Pro WOLFBOX I17 are both mini dash cameras, typically designed to be about the size of an adult woman's palm. I specifically checked their product pages on Amazon, and it seems that customers sitting in the rear seat would notice that the device is recording. However, they should not be able to see a clear, detailed image. Additionally, if a driver wants to draw the attention of passengers to the fact that recording is taking place, they could consider using mirror cameras available in the market. I apologize for having multiple questions, but I truly want to learn from Vantrue's success. I firmly believe that retaining customers is the key to a brand's existence and success.
1694052099176.png1694052146097.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a video is really real, may I ask what keywords did you search to know this brand?
I don't understand your question.
That video i created.
Vantrue approached me and supplied the N5 with only one request, that I make a video. I've made a couple just to show potential purchasers what they can expect.

I don't attempt to sell it I just show it as it really is.

Cheers

I don't understand your question.
That video i created.
Vantrue approached me and supplied the N5 with only one request, that I make a video. I've made a couple just to show potential purchasers what they can expect.

I don't attempt to sell it I just show it as it really is.

Cheers
Oh, I see. It's great to see you sharing such authentic videos. Perhaps, if there's an opportunity, we could collaborate as well.

Oh, I see. It's great to see you sharing such authentic videos. Perhaps, if there's an opportunity, we could collaborate as well.
Your welcome to send me a PM to discuss.

Cheers.

Vantrue N4 Pro WOLFBOX I17 are both mini dash cameras, typically designed to be about the size of an adult woman's palm. I specifically checked their product pages on Amazon, and it seems that customers sitting in the rear seat would notice that the device is recording. However, they should not be able to see a clear, detailed image. Additionally, if a driver wants to draw the attention of passengers to the fact that recording is taking place, they could consider using mirror cameras available in the market. I apologize for having multiple questions, but I truly want to learn from Vantrue's success. I firmly believe that retaining customers is the key to a brand's existence and success.
View attachment 67286View attachment 67287
What image sensors do the cameras use on your product? It is nice to see 5ghz wifi that's always handy.

What image sensors do the cameras use on your product? It is nice to see 5ghz wifi that's always handy.
The WOLFBOX I17 utilizes SONY sensors. We have upgraded the WiFi on the I17 product from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz, resulting in a 4-5 times increase in transmission speed. This improvement enables faster and more convenient video downloads through the app. You no longer need to rely on a computer to view the videos. Once connected to WiFi, you can easily access and view them anytime using the app.

Yes the vantrue camera and it would seem that wolfbox 117 camera are not large cameras, not many dashcams are these days.

But with the shape they have they are more seen than say a wedge shaped camera with the same volume inside the housing, and a wedge camera you can partly install on a stade / dotted area on top of the windscreen and so just have 1/2 of it directly visible.
The N5 i test are also mounted on the dotted area, but that is just the mount the entire camera are visible below the dots, and as it is wider i at lest personal feel it is much more visible.

Fast wifi is a must have as pretty much all of the world have a phone, but fewer and fewer have a PC or laptop at home, and most love their phone almost as much as i hate mine, so my daily phone time most users surpass within 15 minutes of waking up.

Yes the vantrue camera and it would seem that wolfbox 117 camera are not large cameras, not many dashcams are these days.

But with the shape they have they are more seen than say a wedge shaped camera with the same volume inside the housing, and a wedge camera you can partly install on a stade / dotted area on top of the windscreen and so just have 1/2 of it directly visible.
The N5 i test are also mounted on the dotted area, but that is just the mount the entire camera are visible below the dots, and as it is wider i at lest personal feel it is much more visible.

Fast wifi is a must have as pretty much all of the world have a phone, but fewer and fewer have a PC or laptop at home, and most love their phone almost as much as i hate mine, so my daily phone time most users surpass within 15 minutes of waking up.
I must be pretty sad because even with the N4 Pro the wifi was decently fast but I wanted the 4K files to transfer faster. Get us wifi 6!

I wouldn't say that, the only people i immediately allow myself to put stickers on, is politicians and overly religious people of all faiths.
6 gen wifi are indeed snappy :eek: I am not a wifi fan, but the geek inside me still notice things like that.

The dashcam wifi of only a few years back, even if it was also 5 GHZ was just a joke, had i been a fan of it, i would probably even go as far as had called it a insult.
And thats no good, CUZ i always have a gauntlet on me and are ready to slap it across anyones face and demand my honor is restored.

Back