Does not start recording automatically on engine start

Flip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This used to start automatically until the dash cam was detached from power and then reconnected. It gets the power from the USB socket and used to start as soon as I opened the car door - a Ford Kuga.

I can see no settings for ensuring automatic record start, as it states in the manual that it does. I've seen this posted before as a query, but never with a resolution. Hope someone can help please. Nextbase 312GW firmware R06.9 installed

The basic idea is that the dashcam fires up when it gets power and shuts down when power is lost.

Apart from the obvious dead circuit, another main reason for a dashcam not powering up is that power is cut almost, or immediately after, connection. This prompts the dashcam to go into shutdown sequence.

During this time, even if power is restored, the dashcam fails to acknowledge the 'no power to power' so stays off.

The best way to test if it's wiring or the dashcam is to power it up indoors using a mobile phone charging adapter. That will provide uninterrupted power.

The basic idea is that the dashcam fires up when it gets power and shuts down when power is lost.

Apart from the obvious dead circuit, another main reason for a dashcam not powering up is that power is cut almost, or immediately after, connection. This prompts the dashcam to go into shutdown sequence.

During this time, even if power is restored, the dashcam fails to acknowledge the 'no power to power' so stays off.

The best way to test if it's wiring or the dashcam is to power it up indoors using a mobile phone charging adapter. That will provide uninterrupted power.
Thanks Kremmen, I should have perhaps explained better. There is no issues with the power, it automatically connects fine, but does not automatically start recording like it always used to. I have to manually chose the options to start recording.

It has worked fine for years and with the same SD card which I have reformatted since the problem was noticed, but no change. Puzzling.

It has worked fine for years and with the same SD card...
Might be time to test the card to insure it's still functioning as it should. A failing card can cause a plethora of oddball symptoms.

Also, how did you reformat the card?

Might be time to test the card to insure it's still functioning as it should. A failing card can cause a plethora of oddball symptoms.

Also, how did you reformat the card?
Thanks DT Mi. Hi from Michigan. Usually I reformat in the car - no problem. This time, after the problem occurred I reformatted in the car and at my Mac, with no change. So I can discount the reformation issue.

But I will check whether the card is recording. Many thanks

Thanks DT Mi. Hi from Michigan. Usually I reformat in the car - no problem. This time, after the problem occurred I reformatted in the car and at my Mac, with no change. So I can discount the reformation issue.

But I will check whether the card is recording. Many thanks
Sorry, Hi to Michigan

Problem solved. I checked what had changed and it appears that when I reconnected to the USB power I plugged the DC supply into the Nextbase webcam direct and NOT into the socket on the dashcam window mount.

When I plugged into the mount then all was as before - the webcam automatically starts recording.

So hopefully this can help others who may have a similar problem and also hopefully allow Nextbase to understand why this might be an issues and if so include in advice in the mannual.

Back