Does proper parking mode require the ACC wiring kit?

ty04

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro Duo + A119 + BlackVue DR750S-2CH
There’s been a lot of changes with Viofo’s parking mode in the last year and I’ve had a hard time keeping up to date.

I’m really interested in the A129 Pro Duo to replace my Blackvue DR-750S 2-ch.

The reason I’ve got the DR-750S a few years ago was because it was the only camera that would determine if the car was parked with GPS and motion rather than wiring it to the fuse box (my car doesn’t have a fuse box).

Does the current parking mode in Viofo cameras operate like the BlackVue or does it still require the wiring kit to automatically change modes? The manual doesn’t detail how the camera switches to parking mode.

Also if anyone knows, how is Viofo’s return policy if I order directly from their website? They have a nice sale going on right now.

Thanks.

Viofo requires the wiring kit.
It connects to Batt and ACC, it takes power from Batt and uses ACC as signal to trigger parking/driving mode.
You don't need to wire it to the fuse box, you can physically tap the wires from the ignition starter.

The wiring kit comes with physical slider to choose cutoff voltage.
3-wires-hk3-acc-hardwire-kit-parking-mode-cable-for-a119v3-a129-a129ir.jpg

If you use the HK3 then it will switch to parking mode instantly the acc is turned off and switch back instantly it is turned back on.

Without the HK3 it takes around 5 minutes to switch into parking mode and switches back to normal when you reach about 6mph leaving about a 2 second gap in the recording while driving instead of while starting the engine.

The HK3 also has the advantage that if you don't want parking mode while it is inside the garage overnight, you can turn the camera off using the power button and it will automatically turn back on when the engine is next started.

Reactions: gse
You don't need to wire it to the fuse box, you can physically tap the wires from the ignition starter.

Okay yeah I should have specified I drive an electric car so it also doesn’t have an ignition haha

Without the HK3 it takes around 5 minutes to switch into parking mode and switches back to normal when you reach about 6mph leaving about a 2 second gap in the recording while driving instead of while starting the engine.

Thanks, that’s about how the BlackVue works so that should work for me. And this works with all the different different parking recording modes? And is it also smart enough to know that opening and closing my door to get into the car while it’s parked shouldn’t lock that file? BlackVue won’t lock events if it switches out of parking mode within ~2 minutes of the event.

There’s been a lot of changes with Viofo’s parking mode in the last year and I’ve had a hard time keeping up to date.

I’m really interested in the A129 Pro Duo to replace my Blackvue DR-750S 2-ch.

The reason I’ve got the DR-750S a few years ago was because it was the only camera that would determine if the car was parked with GPS and motion rather than wiring it to the fuse box (my car doesn’t have a fuse box).

Does the current parking mode in Viofo cameras operate like the BlackVue or does it still require the wiring kit to automatically change modes? The manual doesn’t detail how the camera switches to parking mode.

Also if anyone knows, how is Viofo’s return policy if I order directly from their website? They have a nice sale going on right now.

Thanks.

All cars have a fuse box. Check your manual. Hardwiring to fusebox with 3 wire hardwire kit will make it switch from acc (accessory with car being on) to battery (parking mode).

Not sure if you use a battery park, but I presume same concept.

And this works with all the different different parking recording modes?
I think so, but normally I only use low bitrate parking mode, guaranteed to record every incident and the full lead up to it.

And is it also smart enough to know that opening and closing my door to get into the car while it’s parked shouldn’t lock that file?
No, however the g-sensor is normally not sensitive enough to trigger from door opening, unless you are violent when you shut the door again. The visual motion detection will record everything it sees move to another loop so it doesn't matter if it does trigger, it is there if you go looking for it but it wont fill up the locked file space. Note that it doesn't currently tell you if there has been an event anyway, it is up to you to go looking for it when you spot damage on your car.

Thank you for the information, Nigel. I think I’ll pick one up and give it a shot then.

All cars have a fuse box. Check your manual. Hardwiring to fusebox with 3 wire hardwire kit will make it switch from acc (accessory with car being on) to battery (parking mode).
Not sure if you use a battery park, but I presume same concept.

My car (Tesla Model 3) definitely does NOT have a fuse box, at least not in any sort of standard, accessible way. I have the camera hooked up directly to the car’s 12v (with in line fuses) which is supplied by the car’s main battery. That is the only source of continuous power I’m aware of that doesn’t involve cutting into the car’s internal wiring.

Thank you for the information, Nigel. I think I’ll pick one up and give it a shot then.

My car (Tesla Model 3) definitely does NOT have a fuse box, at least not in any sort of standard, accessible way. I have the camera hooked up directly to the car’s 12v (with in line fuses) which is supplied by the car’s main battery. That is the only source of continuous power I’m aware of that doesn’t involve cutting into the car’s internal wiring.

You have a fuse box. I guess it's a solid state box and not a traditional fuse box from googling.

Doesn't a Tesla have a built in Dash Camera function?

Doesn't a Tesla have a built in Dash Camera function?

Yes, and its video looks like a '90s VHS recording. It's better than nothing, but not by much.

Model 3 Camera.jpg

Yes, and its video looks like a '90s VHS recording. It's better than nothing, but not by much.

View attachment 49837

Well if someone side swipes your car, attempts to vandalize the car, etc this camera is quite effective. No other Dash Camera will come close, since they are window mounted. Sometimes more is less. You get less image quality with the Tesla Cam but far more coverage. I'd use them both in tandem. Viofo + Tesla Cam. Give you complete protection.

Back