Driver speeds around school bus, nearly hits 3 kids

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...r-who-nearly-mowed-down-3-kids-301715581.html

scary as hell - driver sped past on the shoulder ignoring the bus's flashing lights and signs and kids standing there waiting for the bus. article says parents were there with the kids too and one tried to chase him, but obviously couldn't catch them on foot. sad that nobody got his plate number though. this guy/gal needs to be put UNDER the jail.

OM ****ing G :eek: that was inches from beeing a huge cluster****.

And i agree, the driver of that car need to be relagated to walking or bicycle, and thats after a swift session of asskicking.

Going around on the left of the bus would have been a jerk move but passing on right?? Who does that?

That's just crazy :(

In my province passing a school bus with it's red's flashing is a $1000 fine + instant loss of license for 2 years (15 demerits). Passing that same bus on the right side adds on a charge of "dangerous driving" (15 more demerits + fine + arrest and possible jail time).

I'm guessing in most places what we see in that video is a the very least criminal negligence.

I heard about it on the news as well. Very scary situation.

Seen a few comments elsewhere for this clip.
The 'best' one...
"if the bus driver wasn't parked in the middle of the road then the car would've been able to safely get around correctly."

Seen a few comments elsewhere for this clip.
The 'best' one...
"if the bus driver wasn't parked in the middle of the road then the car would've been able to safely get around correctly."
I'm not sure weather to laugh or shake my head. Is the internet really getting that bad?

I'm not sure weather to laugh or shake my head. Is the internet really getting that bad?
Not only bad but totally wrong as well. It's illegal to pass a school bus when traveling in any direction or lane when it's stopped to pick up or drop off kids (I think most divided highways are exempted).

Well "teh intarwebz" sure isn't helping slow down the dumbing down of the general public...
Saw this today and was immediately reminded of this thread...

11378_10152792979120814_7050733783426727415_n.png

https://www.facebook.com/ThisIsTrue/photos/a.385629845813.164687.71248415813/10152792979120814/

i'm not on FB, but i do read This is True.

It's illegal to pass a school bus when traveling in any direction or lane when it's stopped to pick up or drop off kids (I think most divided highways are exempted).

Well in the UK you can pass a school bus in ANY direction while it's stopped to drop kids off or pick kids up, and I don't remember EVER hearing about ANY kids being injured because of this.

Well in the UK you can pass a school bus in ANY direction while it's stopped to drop kids off or pick kids up, and I don't remember EVER hearing about ANY kids being injured because of this.
it isn't just a US law - Canada is the same, and I believe Mexico as well (which is surprising since they have rather lax laws there). US school buses all have flashing red lights front and back to warn other drivers to stop for loading/unloading, and on the left side of the bus, there are pop-out stop signs to help remind people not to pass. the bus that my kindergarten-age daughter rides even has red LED strobes built into the two stop signs (one next to the driver, another at the rear of the bus) that pop out from the left side of the bus.

maybe this moron thought that since there were no pop-out stop signs on the right side of the bus, he could go. nevermind the flashing red lights that mean STOP, the signs that pretty much every bus i've seen has that say things like "STOP ON FLASHING RED LIGHTS"... on yeah and the group of kids there obviously waiting to get on, and the doors opening...

there's a $1000 reward being offered for info leading to the arrest of the SUV driver. i hope they catch him/her. and crush their SUV. preferably with the driver still inside.

also, this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_bus_traffic_stop_laws

towards the end of that wiki article, it mentions that in the UK, you can pass, but you need to do it slowly and carefully. neither of which this driver did.

Last edited:
Yeah its my undestanding school busses in the US is hallowed ground when they are stopped to pick up kids.

Here we dont have such busses, kids are either delivered by the parents in car, take a regular bus, or like me when i was a kid walk or bicycle to school.
Some special needs kids are picked up in small busses or shipped by taxi, but thats allso it to my knowlege ( dont have kids myself )

I acknowledge the US setup which i think it only fair, you can not trust kids to behave well in traffic, thats why school roads here have 30-40 km/h speed limits, and a lot of signs telling drivers to be extra alert to the kids.

Here we dont have such busses, kids are either delivered by the parents in car, take a regular bus, or like me when i was a kid walk or bicycle to school.
Some special needs kids are picked up in small busses or shipped by taxi, but thats allso it to my knowlege ( dont have kids myself )

I acknowledge the US setup which i think it only fair, you can not trust kids to behave well in traffic, thats why school roads here have 30-40 km/h speed limits, and a lot of signs telling drivers to be extra alert to the kids.

we also have school zones with 20-25mph speed limits but only within a few hundred feet of the school. bus stops are by definition NOT close to the school. if a child lives less than 1.5 miles from the school, bus service is not offered. they can walk or ride their bike, or parents can drive them. when i was a kid i rode my bike to elementary school, since it was only a mile or so away, but starting in 6th grade i rode the bus because it was about 6 miles one way - not practical for walking/cycling. high school was even further away, but by my junior year, i had a car and was allowed to drive myself.

Back