Drivers really wanted to go around me.

kirby34

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR650S-1CH
(No Audio) This vid has 2 clips from a couple nights ago. In these instances, I wish I had a rear-facing camera as it would show that neither driver had been tailgating me nor was I obstructing either of them by going slow. The start of the first part was chosen to illustrate how long I had been at the red light before the truck passed me. Not that it really matters, but there are 2 left turn lanes, so at least the truck driver was in a turn lane when they went through the red. It's one of those times when I had to reassure myself that I hadn't completely zoned out and that the light hadn't turned green.

The 2nd part is really odd because the other car had been catching up to me at a relatively slow pace for the previous 2 blocks and was still at least 5 car lengths behind me when I signaled to enter the center turn lane and then they suddenly decided to zoom around me in the oncoming lane. Again, I wish I had the backward-facing footage to better show that.

well for some drivers there are only 1 place to merge, and that is in front of someone, and they totally neglect that most often that is still behind someone else further out ahead.

In dense traffic and say 2 lanes becoming 1, well i always leave a gap between myself and the car in front of me, even if it is not always needed, but some times someone behind me see it, and then floor it to make that gab, and then brake or get into that gap and brake hard to not slam into the car in front.
And that is pretty bad form in my book, personally i feel if my driving cause anyone to unneeded use the brake, i have failed in my driving.
And i personally feel if you need to use the brake for anything but stopping for a sign or a red light, or slowing down to make a turn, well then traffic suck,,,,, needless to say i feel traffic suck all the time.
A few times i can drive 10 -15 miles on highways here, with traffic - intersections and roundabouts and turns onto other roads, and not use my brake a single time, only use the gearbox to lower speed for lights or roundabouts,,,,, then i am a happy driver, cuz aside for others it mean i have been awake and been able to downshift and read the traffic ahead of myself good.

The 2nd part is really odd because the other car had been catching up to me at a relatively slow pace for the previous 2 blocks and was still at least 5 car lengths behind me when I signaled to enter the center turn lane and then they suddenly decided to zoom around me in the oncoming lane. Again, I wish I had the backward-facing footage to better show that.
Were you allowed to cross that solid white line?

Were you allowed to cross that solid white line?
Sorry if the darkness makes it look white, but the solid and broken lines are yellow. Yes, you use that center lane to make a left turn into your driveway. Those center lanes are very common so that you can wait to make your left turn without impeding traffic.

I'm having a hard time deciding which incident was worse. I'm going to go with the second one because I think a head-on collision would be worse for the non-idiot driver rather than a non-idiot driver t-boning a truck. My rating solely takes into account the effects on the other driver because when driver's behave like this it shows they don't really care for their own well-being or those around them.

well i always leave a gap between myself and the car in front of me, even if it is not always needed, but some times someone behind me see it, and then floor it to make that gab, and then brake or get into that gap and brake hard to not slam into the car in front.
My favorite is when they cut into your safety gap, slow down, and proceed to make their own safety gap. Obviously they have a concept of a safe following distance and choose to take advantage of others leaving a safe following distance. I had this happen to me and I was tempted to do the same thing back to them, but you never know when another driver might go psycho/crazy on you.

Speaking of poor merging skills or, more likely, simply in a hurry and not caring about anyone else, here's what happened early this morning as I was driving home from work. Note, this is also in a construction zone. As usual, there is no audio.

In the Bay Area, that's normal driving technique! There's ALWAYS someone who thinks they're more important and in a bigger hurry than you... thanks for sharing!

Speaking of poor merging skills or, more likely, simply in a hurry and not caring about anyone else, here's what happened early this morning as I was driving home from work. Note, this is also in a construction zone. As usual, there is no audio.

and that driver will likely be one who yells about the 'zipper' merge.

Nice icon. I have the 442 as my license plate!

The exact same spot on the freeway from my last clip bears fruit yet again. This time in addition to the construction, there's also an accident up ahead that causes the backup. I know it's hard to see because it's dark, but in the first clip, the car from the right is entering the onramp but sees the traffic jam and the driver changes their mind. I sped up the middle part because of how long it took the driver to complete the (illegal) U-turn which also crossed over a low median island. (Edit: No audio on either, as usual.)

This second clip starts immediately after the previous one ends. I think you can see the issue for yourselves. Oh, and how much precious time did this person save? I was past the accident and back at speed about 5 minutes later.

I had to watch the second video twice before I saw it. Pretty funny what people do because of traffic.

(No Audio) In keeping with the subject theme, this just happened a little while ago as a Tesla driver passes me illegally, only to get stuck at the next light. Mind you, I freely admit that I was over the speed limit already at the start of this clip - it's a 25 mph zone - and another situation where I could've used a rear-facing camera because this Tesla was riding my rear bumper for the previous 2 blocks. The zoomed-in part is to illustrate how the driver speeds up to beat a subsequent red light, though I'm fairly certain it would be interpreted as running the red, which proves to be pointless as they get stuck at the next light. Also, apologies for the "white washed" look - I have the brightness turned up by default because I drive quite a bit at night - as may have been gathered by my previous clips.

I'm seeing more and more Tesla drivers joining the "Self-Entitled Club" of moronic BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and Cadillac SUV onwers already there. Maybe they think their car's AI systems will keep them from actually crashing :ROFLMAO: Regardless, those who drive in urban environments or congested suburban highways should really have a rear cam too as a lot of your driving actions and decisions can be influenced by what's happening behind you, and just like having a front cam it's wise to be able to document that. A basic cam suitable for rear coverage is cheap nowadays, and even adding some wiring to power it isn't hard to do. I wouldn't be without one.

Phil

I'm seeing more and more Tesla drivers joining the "Self-Entitled Club" of moronic BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and Cadillac SUV onwers already there. Maybe they think their car's AI systems will keep them from actually crashing :ROFLMAO: Regardless, those who drive in urban environments or congested suburban highways should really have a rear cam too as a lot of your driving actions and decisions can be influenced by what's happening behind you, and just like having a front cam it's wise to be able to document that. A basic cam suitable for rear coverage is cheap nowadays, and even adding some wiring to power it isn't hard to do. I wouldn't be without one.

Phil

If my current cam ever fails, I'll definitely get a "2 channel" camera. I had another clip which I was going to share where a car in front of me completely ignores the fact we were in a Right Turn Only lane and goes straight through an intersection (luckily no one was in the left lane), but it didn't have as much impact because I couldn't show that the care that was behind me did the same thing and also went straight.

Considering I live in Silicon Vally which may have one of the highest concentrations of Teslas anywhere, I could probably dedicate an entire thread to Tesla footage. Most of it when I'm driving my Lotus. It's like the bright green color brings out the worst in drivers. Haha.

If my current cam ever fails, I'll definitely get a "2 channel" camera. I had another clip which I was going to share where a car in front of me completely ignores the fact we were in a Right Turn Only lane and goes straight through an intersection (luckily no one was in the left lane), but it didn't have as much impact because I couldn't show that the care that was behind me did the same thing and also went straight.

Considering I live in Silicon Vally which may have one of the highest concentrations of Teslas anywhere, I could probably dedicate an entire thread to Tesla footage. Most of it when I'm driving my Lotus. It's like the bright green color brings out the worst in drivers. Haha.
I'm sure one could find dumb/careless drivers driving every make of car... Dodges, Chevys, Fords, Toyotas, trucks (which think they own the road), etc...

There are dumb, careless drivers everywhere! Hopefully by the use of dashcams, drivers from this forum are kept safe.

Back