SoCal Drivers in Rain

DigitalCorpus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Vantrue N4 Pro
Prior to my current car, I was involved with the TDI community and as such, we’ve had some GtGs locally and across the US. From this we’ve exchanged horror stories of driving in different regions and, objectively, SoCal has stood out as being one of the worst.

We’re currently into about 28-30 hrs of constant rain, which is extremely unusual. It’s not particularly heavy, but even 1” of rain per storm is a lot as we’re near 3” atm. Anyhow, with unusual weather comes unusual driving.

Denmark also setting precipitation records, and funny enough no one talk about the mildly speaking strange " summer " of 2023 which ended in the end of June which is normally the first of the 3 summer months here.

Now if you give ANY Dane a reasonable power RWD car, chance are you will see rear ends all over the place, for sure with the kids that would of course disable traction control CUZ the kids are all that drivers.

PS: i like that turn right / fake go strait move,,,,, do the cops really fall for that BS ?

PS: this site just will not " mirror " your video i have to go to youtube to see it, all i have here is a spinning circle.

For those who’ve watched plenty of dashcam footage, you’re probably used to an intuitive interpretation of speed for what is perceived when behind the wheel. I don’t have this translation in my head yet.

That fake-out-right driver was lost. There are *many* people who miss that the dual drive turn lane that I was in has the left on going straight and right and the right one is right turn only. I could see their hesitation for turning back left to go onto the freeway because they didn’t see the sign and/or changed their mind half way through the intersection.

PPS: probably hasn’t propagated to Google/Alphabet/YouTube’s CDN across the pond yet. I usually try to give it 30 min before posting for that reason.

Just read Los Angeles County got 25 CM / 9.8 Inches in 24 hours, and so far 3 dead, landslides ASO, i hope the state water reservoirs also caught some of it CUZ chance are in 3 months the state will again be a tinderbox

Video above still just a spinning arrow, i think it is the issues plaguing the site lately that is ongoing.

Okay just found out on your video, if i just hit the play bar a few seconds into the video it play from there just fine, it just will not initiate when i hit play and just get the spinning circle

1 / 0.5 Gbit internet here, measuring fine ATM

BTW right now, we are getting a full February month of rain in 24 hours, all rivers ASO here already running pretty high.
Actually as i am a little North in the country ( green circle ) here the precipitation fall as wet snow, so my red car right now is white.

This is the weather radar right now, yellow & red = snow / different shades of blue is rain the darker the harder it rain.

percipitation.jpg

Just read Los Angeles County got 25 CM / 9.8 Inches in 24 hours, and so far 3 dead, landslides ASO, i hope the state water reservoirs also caught some of it CUZ chance are in 3 months the state will again be a tinderbox

Video above still just a spinning arrow, i think it is the issues plaguing the site lately that is ongoing.
No, we did not get *that* much rain. At most, 2.5”/6.3-6.4 cm in 24 inches. Now parts of our geography make areas basins so we could have had that much runoff, plus not all places have good drainage, but I was watching the radar (need to for work) every hour or too and nothing was indicative of rainfall that heavy. Our fire season is usually July/Aug/Sep, and forest/land management + illegal pyro is a problem around the region.

Stay safe in that weather. I’ll poke some international loading of YT video when I get home to see if things want to behave. Any other vids I posted from that channel have an issue?

The video is fine now.

For those who’ve watched plenty of dashcam footage, you’re probably used to an intuitive interpretation of speed for what is perceived when behind the wheel. I don’t have this translation in my head yet.
Perceived speed depends on the dashcam field of view, so is different for different dashcams. Your dashcam seems to have a fairly narrow angle lens, so it looks like you are driving a bit fast to me, with a wider lens you would appear to be at normal speed. This is a good reason for keeping the GPS speed on the screen, so that people used to different dashcams can correct their perception before finding you guilty!

That slide wasn't controlled very well, was it that the car is difficult, the tires not designed for those conditions, the road, poor maintenance, or maybe driver inexperience?

Now if you give ANY Dane a reasonable power RWD car, chance are you will see rear ends all over the place, for sure with the kids that would of course disable traction control CUZ the kids are all that drivers.
I wan't to see what happens here when we get some decent snow and all the front wheel drive drivers who have switched to electric rear power have to adapt. We haven't had decent snow for a few years, and we always use summer tyres in the snow...

Back