Dude blows through stop in parking lot

bbbruceintoronto

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Not much to see here... but a close call...

The cross lanes in this parking lot have clearly marked Stop lines.

looked like the driver may have been holding a phone to his head.

also, lots of people seem to think that if there's no stop sign, they don't have to stop. i see that a lot in parking lots.

Parking lots are dangerous! I've been lucky so far (near-misses only), but family and friends have had minor crashes in parking lots.

Advice to especially always remember: if you are backing up, you are 100% at fault for any crash that occurs! Even if you come to a stop and the other car isn't paying proper attention and hits you (*even with dashcam footage showing you were stopped at the moment of the crash*). So whenever possible, back into parking spaces, so that you can pay careful attention when pulling out of your parking spot.

Parking lots are dangerous! I've been lucky so far (near-misses only), but family and friends have had minor crashes in parking lots.

Advice to especially always remember: if you are backing up, you are 100% at fault for any crash that occurs! Even if you come to a stop and the other car isn't paying proper attention and hits you (*even with dashcam footage showing you were stopped at the moment of the crash*). So whenever possible, back into parking spaces, so that you can pay careful attention when pulling out of your parking spot.

I'm sure there are exceptions to that... most of the close calls i've had when backing out of a spot were from people driving WAY too fast in the parking lot. if they'd have hit me, they would have shoved me into the next car. that alone would show them speeding and remove the fault from me. how can i be expected to see someone coming THAT fast in a parking lot? it's kinda like how you trust the cross traffic to actually stop at a 4-way stop, or, you know, turn left in a left-turn-only lane. ;)

driving WAY too fast in the parking lot.
Agreed. But it also depends on how lazy your insurance adjuster is, and whether they'll rule against you, and leave it to you to take it to court to determine fault.

USAA seems to be pretty good. my wife was in an accident where she had completely out backed of her stall and was about to shift into drive, then another driver backed into the side of her. he hit her van just forward of the back wheel with the back corner of his bumper. USAA was very aggressive about getting payment from the other driver's insurance even without a police report. having photos of the damage on the side of our van and our paint on his back bumper really helped cinch it, even without a police report. dashcam video might have helped too (to establish how far she was out of her stall before there was contact), but we didn't have them at that point.

is that a Canada thing? certainly not the case in Australia

another interesting stat for you, collected from a parking lot management company, 80% of cars stolen from the parking lot were reversed in, seems car thieves preferred not having their backs turned when stealing cars, the quicker exit afforded by being able to drive straight out is perhaps something to do with that as well

Or if a fwd vehicle is stolen with a tow truck (which isn't as rare as you might think), rarely if ever is the parking brake set when it's an automatic so they just pick it up and go with zero hassle when it's backed into a spot.

80% of cars stolen from the parking lot were reversed in, seems car thieves preferred not having their backs turned when stealing cars, the quicker exit afforded by being able to drive straight out is perhaps something to do with that as well
Or if a fwd vehicle is stolen with a tow truck (which isn't as rare as you might think), rarely if ever is the parking brake set when it's an automatic so they just pick it up and go with zero hassle when it's backed into a spot.
Sounds like you guys so write a new Gone in 60 Seconds.

I once had to have an older RWD car towed that needed work done. The dispatcher asked me what kind of car it was and I told them. When the guy came to pick it up he he had it with the rear wheels on the ground with the front end up and went to jump in the truck when I realized he never took it out of park.

So I mentioned it to him Don't you know it's rear wheel drive? and he jumped out,asked me if I was sure it was, and then got under the car to look before putting it in neutral. Like I don't know if my own car is rear wheel drive, and this was an AAA preferred tow company.

Sounds like you guys so write a new Gone in 60 Seconds.

I once had to have an older RWD car towed that needed work done. The dispatcher asked me what kind of car it was and I told them. When the guy came to pick it up he he had it with the rear wheels on the ground with the front end up and went to jump in the truck when I realized he never took it out of park.

So I mentioned it to him Don't you know it's rear wheel drive? and he jumped out,asked me if I was sure it was, and then got under the car to look before putting it in neutral. Like I don't know if my own car is rear wheel drive, and this was an AAA preferred tow company.
sounds like a real winner of a tow truck driver. that's a good way to blow up a transmission. even with it in neutral, it's possible for it to bump into drive and thats not good. never tow a car with the drive wheels on the ground unless you have a person inside to make sure it stays in neutral (and often to steer and brake) or unless you disconnect the driveshaft.

some of what i know comes from being a mechanic for almost a decade, but some (like theft via tow truck, and how easy it is to snag a fwd car that's backed into a spot) comes from friends who are repo men/women.

Back