DVR-207GS Motion Detection Insensitive?

Chris

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DVR-207GS + GT300W
EDIT: The camera is actually the DVR-207GS from Spytec Inc, but I have been calling it the DVR-207 this whole time.

I just got a new DVR-207GS from SPYTEC and I'm having trouble triggering the motion sensor. I am testing the motion sensor by sitting the camera in a room and walking across the room at distances between 1-4 meters. The problem is that my motion does not trigger the camera! :x The only thing that will trigger the motion sensor is if I quickly wave my hand right in front of the camera, or a slight nudge to the camera also triggers the motion sensor.

Furthermore, motion detection mode does not work at night even if I drive by lighted areas (street lights, lighted buildings) or if cars' lights appear/disappear from behind me (the camera is mounted rear facing near the rear window).

Does anyone else have trouble with the camera being very insensitive to motion? I chose the DVR-207GS only for its motion sensitivity as I plan to use it to watch my car when I park it for a day or two (I have already successfully hardwired the charger to the car for parking mode). My camera settings are 0 EV, 720p, 30fps, 2 min video intervals, motion detection on, IR leds off, audio recording on, date stamp on, gsensor low (also tested with gsensor off).

Re: DVR-207 Motion Detection Insensitive?

UPDATE

I am also having trouble triggering the motion detection in broad daylight. I have changed the video record length to 5 minutes. I can park my car in a parking lot, walk right in front of the camera, and it won't record anything at all! Furthermore, cars drive right by my car and the camera still doesn't begin recording.

In addition, I have been having issues with the DVR-207GS turning itself off during "parking mode" only after a few hours. This has happened three times. On the third time, the DVR would not turn on by unplugging/replugging the DC power adapter nor holding the power button until I reseated the battery! The DVR is connected to a permanent power source in my vehicle (i.e. a stereo amp's positive and negative, powered by the car's battery - it has a fuse installed at the battery so don't worry). I have tested the DVR's power source with a multimeter as well. The car battery is giving the cigarette lighter adapter 14.0V +/-1.5V and the adapter is feeding the DVR 5.9V +/- 0.2V. The voltage reading is slightly above the rated input of 5.5V, but with reasonable error, an extra few tenths of a volt shouldn't hurt the device.

Any solutions (besides stop using motion detection), ideas, or other people having these problems? Otherwise, I may have to resort to turning off motion detection and running the camera 24/7. But then I would have to reduce the video quality because there will be times when I'm away from my car for more than 5 hours (approximately the largest amount of 720p video at 30fps that will fit on a 32gb SD card). There's also the question that running the camera 24/7 as opposed to parking mode may drain the battery faster, but I'm sure it would last at least 24 hours.

Motion detect is not reliable in this model, powering a camera 24/7 that has a battery inside is also a liability

jokiin said:
Motion detect is not reliable in this model, powering a camera 24/7 that has a battery inside is also a liability

Thanks for replying jokinn, I take your answer as everyone has problems with the motion detection on this model...

Buyer beware, don't buy this model thinking you can use it as a parking mode camera!

jokiin said:

When you say powering it 24/7 when it has its own battery is a liability, do you mean it's bad for the DVR's battery or are you implying something else? I am aware of this: powering a device constantly and never exercising its battery eventually kills the battery so it won't last longer than a minute by itself. This is common in laptops when people use them as desktops and never move nor unplug them.

Both, it will destroy the battery but is also a risk in hot environments to have a LiPo battery constantly in a state of charge

jokiin said:
Both, it will destroy the battery but is also a risk in hot environments to have a LiPo battery constantly in a state of charge

Thanks for the warning jokiin, I didn't realize that these DVRs use Lithium Ion batteries. I will make sure to unplug it occasionally (I have been anyways since the camera is new and I've been wanting to see the video results), and I will remove it from the car on very hot days (where I live, temperatures can approach 38C i.e. ~100F during the summer).

Also, I've accidentally been calling my dashcam the 207 model, but it is actually the GS version of the 207. Sorry for the mistake.

wish we only had to deal with 37C, got up to 47C last summer in Sydney

just don't leave it running 24/7 is the best bet if it has a battery inside, that goes for any camera really, not just the cheaper ones

jokiin said:
wish we only had to deal with 37C, got up to 47C last summer in Sydney

just don't leave it running 24/7 is the best bet if it has a battery inside, that goes for any camera really, not just the cheaper ones

I'm thinking because of the poor motion detection of the DVR-207GS, I will use it only as a driving front-facing camera (it will not be powered 24/7). Maybe after I finish my college classes this school year, I will know how to build a logic circuit that will deliver power to a rear-facing parking camera only when the car is turned off.If that day ever comes, I'll post a tutorial on the forum. I'm sure others would love this feature :)

Back