DVR207gs: How do I turn this thing off???

torch

Reaction score
Country
Canada
After researching this forum and other sources, I bought a pair of these from eBay, together with a pair of name-brand 32GB class 10 cards. I had some head-scratching moments figuring out the Chinglish manual, but once I realized the Record button doubles as "Enter" in the menu system it went pretty well. I set things up as recommended elsewhere (eg: LEDs off, motion off, etc.) I have one in each car, each plugged into an ignition switched outlet. The cameras start when the key is turned and shut down when the ignition is shut off. Video quality is OK for the price (a bit dark unless there are streetlights, but exposure is fine up to sunset) and there is no loss between each file/video segment.

I decided to buy these over the DVR-027 because of the 1080P capability, but after discovering that the field of view is considerably narrower, I reverted to the 720P resolution. I think the wider angle is of greater benefit than the increased resolution. The mount is a bit long -- I think I will be changing them for something shorter, to keep things tucked up out of the way better.

However, I can't turn them off manually. The aforementioned Chinglish manual states "Two Power options
A) Use lithium-Ion battery
DVR can be activated alter it has been placed on the vehicle by
pressing the Power Switch and tum off by pressing it again.

The power button turns them on just fine, running them on the internal battery. However, after that I can press the dang thing until the cows come home and it won't shut off again until the battery dies or I cycle the key. That is to say, it will turn off if I turn the ignition on and then turn the ignition off again. I tried restoring to factory defaults and removing the card to no avail.

I wrote the vendor and they replied in their very best attempt at English:

Sorry for bringing you the troubles,;-(
Please don't worry,we can help you.
Just press the power button then you can turn off the device.
Please kindly help us to have a try and tell us the result.
Thanks.
Look forward to getting your reply .

The firmware is v 1308080, if that makes a difference.

torch said:
Video quality is OK for the price (a bit dark unless there are streetlights, but exposure is fine up to sunset) and there is no loss between each file/video segment.

Having played with it a bit more this evening, I have to correct myself somewhat. While the image on the camera's screen is pretty dark under those low-light conditions, the camera itself is recording far more than is immediately apparent. If I pop the card into my laptop, play it using Media Player Classic and crank up the brightness and contrast, a lot more detail appears. It's black-and-white and somewhat grainy, but certainly fills in the gaps and is not unduly affected or washed out by oncoming light sources.

I still can't figure out how to turn it off though...

Edit: One other thing: the LEDs make no difference at all, except to illuminate something very close to the camera, like putting my hand in front of it. There's no reflection off my windshield as has been reported by some.

UPDATE -- problem "solved"

After a few troubleshooting e-mails back and forth, the vendor suggested the following:

Thanks for your help and telling us the result.;-)
We have contacted the factory and told them your problem , they told us two tips.
1, Move the SD CARD.
2,Press and hold the power button for about 6 seconds .
Could you kindly help us to have a try in this way again and tell us the result?
Thanks for your understanding.

This works. To clarify, I stop recording (with the Record button), eject the SDHC card, then push and hold the Power button. The camera turns off within 5 seconds. It works with both cameras.

Hi torch,

This morning on my way to work I tried turning off my DVR-207GS with the power button under several scenarios, trying to replicate your problem. Here are the various scenarios I tried and the result:

1) Camera on, plug power on, not recording - Pressed the power button for 3 seconds and it turned off.
2) Camera on, plug power on, recording - Pressed the power button for 3 seconds and it turned off.
3) Camera on, plug power off, not recording - Pressed the power button for 3 seconds and it turned off.
4) Camera on, plug power off, recording - Pressed the power button for 3 seconds and it turned off.

My power button seems to shut off the camera like it's supposed to with no change whatsoever whether it has external power or is running on internal battery. Also recording or not recording doesn't seem to matter. I'd have to try with different SD cards or with no SD card to see if the behavior changes.

Anyway, if you plan on recording your whole trips, this power-button issue shouldn't matter that much.

Cheers!

torch said:
The mount is a bit long -- I think I will be changing them for something shorter, to keep things tucked up out of the way better.

Oh, and regarding the mount, I also changed it for something smaller and more discrete. The 3M adhesive mounts like the one described here work like a charm. On a Mazda 6, they place the DVR-207GS pretty well hidden behind the rear view mirror when the screen is closed. But there's also enough room to open the screen and see what's recording if needed. The only problem is having to move the rear view mirror if you want to press either the record or the power button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information. I wonder if it's the firmware. Mine is v1308080, which apparently decodes to the release date of 2013, August, 8. The last digit is a version code -- I guess in case they release more than one on the same day! Any idea which version firmware yours has?

My cards are Transcend brand, 32GB, Class 10. I don't see why the brand, size or class should make a difference to the power button, but stranger things have happened!

I would not return the cameras over this issue, because the plan is to leave them permanently installed and automatically started/stopped with the ignition (I even added a switched outlet to the car of She Who Must Be Obeyed just for the camera). But I have grandkids of an age where they love to push buttons, or I might want to quickly review something on the built-in screen or whatever. It's a PITA to go find the car keys just to shut off the camera!

Thanks for the tip about the mounts. I already ordered something very similar from eBay, and it's nice to hear they should work as I thought they would.

torch said:
Thanks for the information. I wonder if it's the firmware. Mine is v1308080, which apparently decodes to the release date of 2013, August, 8. The last digit is a version code -- I guess in case they release more than one on the same day! Any idea which version firmware yours has?

There you go, that must be it. I'm running v1207311 so you might be experiencing a bug introduced with the latest firmware.

torch said:
My cards are Transcend brand, 32GB, Class 10. I don't see why the brand, size or class should make a difference to the power button, but stranger things have happened!

Mine is a SanDisk 32GB Class 10. Have had no issues with it since I first got the camera a couple of months ago.

torch said:
(I even added a switched outlet to the car of She Who Must Be Obeyed just for the camera)

LOL :lol: I tried "suggesting" getting a second dash cam for the wife's car but she immediately dismissed the idea. She thinks I'll make a mess while installing the add-a-circuit and cable going inside the a-pillar.

I will probably be getting something a bit more high end this holiday season for the front. If she still doesn't want a cam in her car, then I'll try using my DVR-207GS as a rear cam.

Gabolinche said:
LOL :lol: I tried "suggesting" getting a second dash cam for the wife's car but she immediately dismissed the idea. She thinks I'll make a mess while installing the add-a-circuit and cable going inside the a-pillar.

If it was a friend objecting, I would immediately think "Why, did you make a mess of your car?". But wives don't have to make sense and they know it. :lol:

In my case, SWMBO was the instigator of sorts. She was run off the road twice this summer and I figured the dash cams would be cheap insurance in case someone did sideswipe her one of these days. (We live in a rural area and the only road in is a narrow twisty road that hits every cardinal point on the compass. People figure there's no traffic so they whip along in the middle of the road around the curves.)

But maybe your wife's objection really has nothing to do with making a mess of her car. Yesterday I popped out the card of She Who Must Be Obeyed to see how the camera was working on her shopping trip to town. I noticed she ran 4 stop signs and 1 red light ("rolling stops"). I made the mistake of pointing that out to her... :oops:

I mentioned the firmware to the seller, and apparently they contacted the factory about it:

Thanks for your help and telling us the good news.;-)
But sorry to tell you, the factory told us that, they don't have the update software
However , they are studying this software.
Once we got it from them, we will send it to you soon, is that ok?
Wish you can understand.
If you need any other help when you use the device,please be free to let me know.
Have a ncie day.

I think that means they will send me an updated firmware when they get this sorted out. Gotta love that Chinglish, eh? :lol:

Well, Chinglish aside :D, it seems like they're open to sending you an updated firmware whenever it becomes available. If true, that would be a first since I haven't read about anyone who has been able to update their firmware on any of the DVR-XX7 models... To the best of my knowledge, with this models you're just stuck with whatever firmware was shipped.

Let's just wait and see. If they do send you an updated firmware, please post the news here, letting us know how they send it to you and the flashing instructions.

PS: It's good to know wives apparently behave the same regardless of country of origin :p

Back