Experience the smooth Dutch highways ;-) Dashcam commute

DutchDriver

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Dash Cam
DDPai M6 Plus

Driving from the South of The Netherlands up to the west coast (The Hague) via Rotterdam.

It's the first time I'm publishing dashcam footage so I appreciate any feedback you might have. I've noticed the video is a bit dull on colours compared to my local version. I'll have to work on that.

Very different to the roads we have to put up with here. You have it good.

Smooth indeed :D

And a great music selection, who is that?

Phil

Very different to the roads we have to put up with here. You have it good.
We were lucky :) The Netherlands is a country with very flat terrain which makes it easier to create and maintain a nice and smooth road network. At least, I would assume it's easier than maintaining roads in the (rolling) hills and mountains of the UK :)

On top of that the country doesn't span a big surface and has a high population density. I think this makes for more tax payer money available compared to every meter of road.

Smooth indeed :D

And a great music selection, who is that?

Phil
They are all from the Youtube Music Library with royalty free tracks. In order of appearance:
Vibe Tracks - Golden
Vibe Tracks - Sugar
Vibe Tracks - Heart Break
Vibe Tracks - TFB9

I'll add it to the description.

Four motorways and not a single toll! Lucky you. Over here every km of motorway is paid. :(

Driving from the South of The Netherlands up to the west coast (The Hague) via Rotterdam.

It's the first time I'm publishing dashcam footage so I appreciate any feedback you might have. I've noticed the video is a bit dull on colours compared to my local version. I'll have to work on that.

Wow, almost my exact route to work. I used to live in Rotterdam and work very very close to where you made that U-turn to make the further Left behind that Volvo. I used to work just after that intersection on the Right - at Dutchtone!

Of course, the last time I did that route was in September of 2001 (because I moved out of The Netherlands then) so this video of yours was a very pleasant re-living off that experience :) Thank you for the memories :)

Cheers

Four motorways and not a single toll! Lucky you. Over here every km of motorway is paid. :(
There are very little toll roads in The Netherlands. I think there's a couple of bridges or tunnels you're charged for but thats it as far as I know. And I haven't encountered those roads in years so it fair to say they're rare.

Toll has its advantages and disadvantages. In The Netherlands, everyone who owns a car or motor cycle is subject to what could be translated as 'car tax'. It's charged regardless of how much you drive. If your car is parked in a driveway all year long, you'll still pay car tax. The amount of car tax depends on several factors, like the weight of the car and the type of fuel. In a sense, we're always paying toll, but for all of roads together :)

Wow, almost my exact route to work. I used to live in Rotterdam and work very very close to where you made that U-turn to make the further Left behind that Volvo. I used to work just after that intersection on the Right - at Dutchtone!

Of course, the last time I did that route was in September of 2001 (because I moved out of The Netherlands then) so this video of yours was a very pleasant re-living off that experience :) Thank you for the memories :)

Cheers
Thanks, I'm glad I jogged your memory a bit :) Dutch tone, yes that would've been a while ago. I looked up the old address and indeed, it's just past that intersection.

This is not my usual route, but there was a lot of traffic on the A2 and A12. Most of my usual route can be seen in my second video.

Last edited:
In The Netherlands, everyone who owns a car or motor cycle is subject to what could be translated as 'car tax'. It's charged regardless of how much you drive. If your car is parked in a driveway all year long, you'll still pay car tax. The amount of car tax depends on several factors, like the weight of the car and the type of fuel.
We have that tax, too, but it's based on displacement and emissions only. It's called IUC and yes, you can pronounce it like the English word, because it stinks. I have a 1.ooo cc bike that has a level of emissions no car can ever reach but because it's a liter bike it pays almost the same as a new petrol vehicle between 1.751 cc and 2.600 cc or a diesel vehicle with over 3.000 cc, when I should be paying even less than a 1.000 cc car.
We're charged by the State because we pollute and we're charged by the companies who explore the motorways if we want to use them. :(

You need some pot holes. A few Canadian Winters would fix that.

We have road taxes. We even pay road taxes for Gasoline at marinas which seems very strange.

I think taxes here are put into the general revenues. It would be nice if fishing and hunting licenses were for used for stocking and resource management or enforcement, but its not.

You need some pot holes. A few Canadian Winters would fix that.

We have road taxes. We even pay road taxes for Gasoline at marinas which seems very strange.

I think taxes here are put into the general revenues. It would be nice if fishing and hunting licenses were for used for stocking and resource management or enforcement, but its not.
no they just need lower building standards. it might dip *just* below freezing a few times each "winter" here in Houston, and yet there's no shortage of potholes.

Road pricing is up for consideration here once in a while, but as far as i know that do not mean the car- tax go away, its just a way to bleed the Danes even more dry.
Just like Taxes for the regular man is not going down either in spite of our welfare society is slowly get cut back.

But this far the only places you need to get the wallet out is the great belt bridge and the Oresund bridge to Sweden.

Great Belt Bridge / Bridge & tunnel for trains, this SOB cost my the best job i ever had so i dont like it at all.
266541,xcitefun-great-belt-bridge-4.jpg

Oresund bridge/tunnel.
oresund-bridge-tunnel-connects-denmark-and-sweden-10.jpg

no they just need lower building standards. it might dip *just* below freezing a few times each "winter" here in Houston, and yet there's no shortage of potholes.

The freezing and thawing seems to accelerate the breakdown of the asphalt, but if water gets in the destruction begins. New station I listen talks about how how wild winters seem to lead to more pot holes, but with poor construction and rain, they are going to happen too. The are numerous reasons such as improper drainage and a breakdown of the surface. I would think appyling a sealant or a thin layer on the existing road would fill in the cracks on a regular basis would prevent water from getting in on the first place. So looking at Wikipedia - your right.

Proper drainage and construction would prevent pothole is something which seems to be lacking in the Toronto on the major highway year. Heck several months after the last snow fall, I notice bumps like speed bumps developing here on sections of the highway which have not been paved or maintained this year.

Its going to be a fun winter as the roads are already in $h1t shape.

Back