Extending parking mode?

Borntobefree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to give thanks to all who contribute on this site. It is so informative and as helped me enormously. My Viofo A229 Duo has a Neo battery pack for parking mode. In order to obtain an extension to the parking mode time I have been researching for an alternative to the Viofo regulator which would have a lower than 11.8 volt cut off, say 8 volts or so. I have noted a post on this site from member, SPL15, who has removed transistor Q3 from the Viofo unit to achieve this but suggests there may be a possibility of overheating and instability. My question is has this mod been tested out and found completely successful or have any other members a circuit or discovered a unit that will do the job of stepping down the 12 volts and incorporating a lower cut off as I describe? Hopefully some of you techo's may know the answer. Thanks.

That's not a good idea, that's amateurism.
If I read the description of the battery correctly, it will turn itself off if it is discharged. That's why I think, I wouldn't connect the Viofo power unit (which is designed for a different purpose and a lead acid battery) at all

Thanks, so you mean use a step down to 5v regulated unit and let the Neo run till it's flat?

have any other members a circuit or discovered a unit that will do the job of stepping down the 12 volts and incorporating a lower cut off as I describe?
@viofo sent me a prototype HK4 hardwire kit with the capability to disable Low Voltage Cutoff for testing with dash cam battery packs.
I requested the prototype because most EGEN (Korean) dash cam battery packs continue to provide power down to 10.9V before their internal BMS shuts off the pack.
The standard Viofo hardwire kits cutoff power at 11.8 Volts.
This means there is Wh capacity still left in the battery pack.
I’m currently testing the “left over” Wh capacity, and run time from 11.8V to 10.9V with the A229 Pro, but I’m waiting on a firmware update to fix the “Disable GPS in Parking Mode” missing setting.

Attachments

• A119 Mini 2 .jpg
    A119 Mini 2 .jpg
    639.2 KB · Views: 8
Back