External mic- massive fail by git

Hondu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the camera mic is active when a external source is plugged in.

Makes its useless for my use. Recording on a motorcycle in the path of wind.

I think it's a big boo boo from git. They just patched into the main mic.

Starting to look back at the git2. Will it zoom in on settings to narrow the FOV on standard model.

Hmm, me too
Hope Gitup release it soon. External micro is really important for vlogger :(

I just purchased a Git2 90deg. Will be fine for my use until the G3 gets the hardware update.

You can contact us to replace the fault one for free.

There is a updated version to support stereo MIC, will be released soon.

There is a updated version to support stereo MIC, will be released soon.

When is released soon exactly? Weeks or months? Will there be any other hardware updates to the camera or just this MIC?

When is released soon exactly? Weeks or months? Will there be any other hardware updates to the camera or just this MIC?
Soon means: "When it is ready", normally around 1 month, sometimes 2.

Hope the new version is also a little more sensitive, the extra sensitivity of the Git2 is very nice. The G3 sound isn't bad though, a nicer and clearer sound than the Gitup F1.

Recorded this last weekend using the Git2 sound for the right stereo channel, Git3 for the left stereo channel, Gitup F1 for the video from the ground and DJI Phantom 4 for the video from the air. You can adjust your speaker balance to compare G3 and Git2, but not using a phone speaker - you need something big, or headphones, F1 sound wasn't anywhere near as good, hence using all four cameras!

Nice video... brilliant panning skills

The mic is a massive oversight imo. I ended with the Git2p 90deg lens and sound is excellent. External mic works flawless.

Vid quality is abit over exposed or sharpened tho. Don't know if the settings in the cam can fix it.

Nice video... brilliant panning skills
Thanks, it does take a bit of effort to control aircraft forward/backward/left/right/up/down + camera left/right/up/down to follow a passing 75mph (120Km/h) train when they are all variable speed controls on sticks/dials. Simplest is to just fly flat out, but you still need to point the camera at the train and make sure you fly over the microphones at the point that the train is making so much noise that the drone wont be heard!

The mic is a massive oversight imo. I ended with the Git2p 90deg lens and sound is excellent. External mic works flawless.

Vid quality is abit over exposed or sharpened tho. Don't know if the settings in the cam can fix it.
G3 definitely has the better image quality, but on the Git2 you can set a bit of -EV to avoid the overexposure and you can turn the sharpening right down and then sharpen it better on the computer. The G3 also has the better stabilisation, it corrects the roll axis which the Git2 doesn't.

Last edited:
Thanks, it does take a bit of effort to control aircraft forward/backward/left/right/up/down + camera left/right/up/down to follow a passing 75mph train when they are all variable speed controls on sticks/dials. Simplest is to just fly flat out, but you still need to point the camera at the train and make sure you fly over the microphones at the point that the train is making so much noise that the drone wont be heard!

G3 definitely has the better image quality, but on the Git2 you can set a bit of -EV to avoid the overexposure and you can turn the sharpening right down and then sharpen it better on the computer. The G3 also has the better stabilisation, it corrects the roll axis which the Git2 doesn't.

I can appreciate it as I have a mavic pro and attempted the same shot with less affect lol

I'll probably get a G3 once they sort the mic out as need a wider angle second cam.

I can appreciate it as I have a mavic pro and attempted the same shot with less affect lol
You need a bit of assistance from course lock mode so that panning the camera doesn't affect the flight direction - I was flying full throttle forward all the way through until the climb at the end, transitioned into sports mode during the ground clip for extra speed (46mph on the P4).

I recently purchased the Gitup G3 duo and got bitten by 2 major problems:
1) External Mic Issue: Even whene you connect an external mic to the camera, the camera picks up audio from both Internal & External. So it serves no purpose for motovlogging. Upon further research got to kno that this is a hardware issue and cant be fixed by software updates. Well if this is the problem, then dont GITUP tests their products before releasing. On top of that, they market it also as a USP for this camera. Will we get any fix for this problem? I think i wasted my money on this camera and the external mic i purchased for motovlogging. It would have been better if i would have gone with GoPro which is bit pricey than these but offers noise cancellation and reliability.
Does someone have any picture where we can see from where the Gitup internal mic is picking the audio from, so that we can block it through some tape or something?

2) Andorid APP wifi connectivity: If you connect the camera with the app through wifi, you can only use the camera through the controls available in the app, NOT through the buttons on the camera. The camera hardware buttons will get disabled the moment you connect it to the phone via wifi. This is very bad. If iam riding a bike and my phone is in my pockets and i wanted to start the recording while riding, then i cant do so because the buttons are disabled. I need to stop, take out the phone and then hit the record button on the app to make it work. Any fix for this?

Any changes to the circuits for the external mic ? Is this worth buying as a 2 camera rig as dash cam .

OK so I know this is an old thread - and I sure as hell wish I'd found it BEFORE buying my G3Duo camera.
This is the best place for my post though.

I bought the camera from the official website which said it was US stock, and the additional charger I purchased was UK stock (I'm in Australia). I any event it all came from Hong Kong...

I (as did others in this thread) also bough the camera with a view to using it as a motovlogging camera, on the back of some glowing reviews of the camera (such as https://pevly.com/gitup-g3-duo-review/ ) which includes the following "I for one, am very satisfied with the way this camera records ambiental sound. And external microphone just makes things better." overall review gave it 4.5 / 5 stars

I'd have thought that there should be a way with a firmware update for Gitup to provide the functionality to disable the internal mic (but not the external one if plugged in)

I contacted gitup via their website and asked the following:
Q re the use of external microphone. I bought the G3Duo camera.

In the manual it states "when you enable and connect an external microphone, the camera records audio from both the external microphone and built-in microphone"

Does it do this on separate audio tracks, for editing purposes, or does it mix both mics down to a single audio track? If it puts both together on a single track that rather defeats the purpose of avoiding wind noise by having an external microphone?

There is a setting in the camera menus for 'microphone sensitivity' - does that apply to a plugged in external mic as well or only to the internal microphone?

Thanks for your help.

The answer I received answered only one of the questions I asked.

Hi Landyvlad,

Some users remove internal MIC to avoid this wind noise problem, if possible please have a try?
Attachment red circel is G3 MIC part, any other question please come back, thanks.

Best Regards,
Support Team

GitUp LTD
Phone: +86 755 8527 8089
Email: support@gitup.com
Website: www.gitup.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/gitup.ltd
Address: 201, Building 1, Guanghui Science and Technology Park, Minqing Road, Longhua, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China

The document they attached was a photo of the camera circuit board highlighting the internal microphone.
They are implying that I should disassemble the camera and cut the microphone off.
View attachment 5200
I'm not keen to do this for a number of reasons - the potential for damage being one reason, and as per my subsequent response to Gitup:

I don't wish to disassemble the camera as I may wish to use the internal mic for other situations.
Surely you ought to be able to roll out a firmware update with an option to turn the internal microphone on and off ?
Thanks and kind regards,

I'll let you all know what response I receive to that.

To say I'm annoyed at the moment is a significant understatement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Git3 9
B Git3 7
Back