F200 Pro SD card, FYI

Harmon20

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wanted to post my experience in case it proves helpful for someone else. I couldn't find a good thread for this, but if the mods know of somewhere more appropriate, please move.

I recently installed a new F200 Pro with rear camera. It came with a 32GB Thinkware branded SD card. Everything works mostly fine other than many of the recorded movies are not viewable for some reason. The various players I try to use say they're corrupted or can't be played or some such thing.

Anyway, I had a random unbranded 128GB card laying around so I tried to use it. Of course it wouldn't work. The cam says 'card format needed' over and over and eventually 'card format failed'. (These are approximations since I can't recall precisely what was said.) I couldn't turn on wifi to connect and format. Holding the Rec button caused it to act like it was recording, but of course nothing was being recorded.

I examined the Thinkware card and attempted to match the formatting, partitioning, partition flags, etc. etc. on the 128GB card. Nothing was working. No matter how identical the cards seemed to be in every way but capacity it wouldn't work.

So I used dd in linux to make an exact clone of the working card. I put the working card in the SD slot of my laptop, the 128GB in a USB card reader after having wiped the drive of any info or partition info, and in a terminal windows ran sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/sda bs=512 conv=sync,noerror status=progress

This uses the dd command to take the data in one drive as a source (if=) and write that data out exactly as it is read into another drive (of=) as the destination, using 512b blocks (bs=512) (value determined by running fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0 against the working 32GB card to see what sector size was being used), ignoring any bad blocks (conv=sync,noerror) so the process doesn't get interrupted by the near certainty of bad blocks on the source drive and to give some feedback about the process (status=progress) so it doesn't run silently, giving you no indication of whether or not it's working.

It takes a looooooong time. Kick off the process then go build a boat or something. You'll get done about the same time this process does.

I took the 128GB card that has just been written out with the 32GB card data and put it in the camera...IT WORKED! Woo hoo! But, of course, there was only a 32GB partition on the card and around 90GB of slack unusable space on the drive. I put it back into the laptop and used gparted to expand the partition out to the end of the drive, leaving the alignment at the front of the partition unchanged. (There was about 4M of slack space at the beginning of the 32GB drive, 4.5M at the end.) Back in the camera...didn't work. Back in the laptop, shrink the partition back down the the exact same size as the partition on the 32GB card with unchanged front alignment. Back in the camera...it works!

Hmmmm. This 128GB card with a 32GB partition works, with the full 128GB it does not. Nothing changes with the formatting, partition flags, or alignment from one size to the next. The size is seems to be the sticking point. But the F200 Pro is supposed to be good with 128GB.

Then I got an idea. I left the 128GB card with a 32GB parition, put it in the camera, got it going, connected to wifi, opened the app, then formatted the card from there. Voila! The 128GB card now works with the full size available. The app shows the available space as being 124GB, but the difference can be chalked up to file system overhead and slack space fore and aft of the data partition that might be the result of the camera's formatting alignment.

Wanted to post my experience in case it proves helpful for someone else. I couldn't find a good thread for this, but if the mods know of somewhere more appropriate, please move.

I recently installed a new F200 Pro with rear camera. It came with a 32GB Thinkware branded SD card. Everything works mostly fine other than many of the recorded movies are not viewable for some reason. The various players I try to use say they're corrupted or can't be played or some such thing.

Anyway, I had a random unbranded 128GB card laying around so I tried to use it. Of course it wouldn't work. The cam says 'card format needed' over and over and eventually 'card format failed'. (These are approximations since I can't recall precisely what was said.) I couldn't turn on wifi to connect and format. Holding the Rec button caused it to act like it was recording, but of course nothing was being recorded.

I examined the Thinkware card and attempted to match the formatting, partitioning, partition flags, etc. etc. on the 128GB card. Nothing was working. No matter how identical the cards seemed to be in every way but capacity it wouldn't work.

So I used dd in linux to make an exact clone of the working card. I put the working card in the SD slot of my laptop, the 128GB in a USB card reader after having wiped the drive of any info or partition info, and in a terminal windows ran sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/sda bs=512 conv=sync,noerror status=progress

This uses the dd command to take the data in one drive as a source (if=) and write that data out exactly as it is read into another drive (of=) as the destination, using 512b blocks (bs=512) (value determined by running fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0 against the working 32GB card to see what sector size was being used), ignoring any bad blocks (conv=sync,noerror) so the process doesn't get interrupted by the near certainty of bad blocks on the source drive and to give some feedback about the process (status=progress) so it doesn't run silently, giving you no indication of whether or not it's working.

It takes a looooooong time. Kick off the process then go build a boat or something. You'll get done about the same time this process does.

I took the 128GB card that has just been written out with the 32GB card data and put it in the camera...IT WORKED! Woo hoo! But, of course, there was only a 32GB partition on the card and around 90GB of slack unusable space on the drive. I put it back into the laptop and used gparted to expand the partition out to the end of the drive, leaving the alignment at the front of the partition unchanged. (There was about 4M of slack space at the beginning of the 32GB drive, 4.5M at the end.) Back in the camera...didn't work. Back in the laptop, shrink the partition back down the the exact same size as the partition on the 32GB card with unchanged front alignment. Back in the camera...it works!

Hmmmm. This 128GB card with a 32GB partition works, with the full 128GB it does not. Nothing changes with the formatting, partition flags, or alignment from one size to the next. The size is seems to be the sticking point. But the F200 Pro is supposed to be good with 128GB.

Then I got an idea. I left the 128GB card with a 32GB parition, put it in the camera, got it going, connected to wifi, opened the app, then formatted the card from there. Voila! The 128GB card now works with the full size available. The app shows the available space as being 124GB, but the difference can be chalked up to file system overhead and slack space fore and aft of the data partition that might be the result of the camera's formatting alignment.
Wow interesting work. Is it Blackvue locking down cards

This is interesting. Just put the 128GB card into the laptop to check some video and found that it has been formatted as exFAT by the camera instead of FAT32. That may be the source of the size problem.

They state that 128 Gb is the max size, but I've been using 256 Gb for almost a year now with no problems.

They state that cards 64 Gb and larger should be formatted ExFAT.

They state that 128 Gb cards should be formatted ExFAT with 128kb blocks.

After getting the generic card "working" I had a problem with most of the files being zero filled. They were created, they had the appropriate size indicated on the disk, but the files wouldn't play and a hex editor showed that they were all blank.

I grabbed a SanDisk 128GB I had, formatted it in Windows using Disk Manager as exFAT, and started the Viewer app on the laptop. The app said there was no card. I closed the app, copied the Settings folder from the existing card onto the SanDisk, then started the Viewer app again. This time it recognized the card and I was able to format it from within the app.

This card performs as expected. I haven't found bad files yet.

Back