F70G 720P Dual Lens DVR Dash Camera (with GPS option)

blue_q

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went ahead and bought the F70G, which is the standard F70 with a GPS attachment. I'm attaching a picture to show what was included in the box.
www.quintonet.com_temp_dashcam_contents_small.jpg

It's below freezing this weekend, so I haven't installed it in the car yet. When I do, I'll post sample videos to youtube and link to them from here. What I noticed so far is that the front camera is not infrared sensitive like the rear camera. I'm worried that this means the night-time quality will be very poor because it didn't seem to adjust for low light while testing in the house.

Here's the link where I bought it from:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-New-F70G-H-264-HD-1280x720-w-GPS-Logger-G-Sensor-Car-Black-Box-Recorder/731618637.html

BTW, I noticed the seller added a few pictures demonstrating the connections after I asked about them. :D

Very cool, I am interested in seeing the videos and hearing your opinion on it. I just risked it and ordered the F70N from the same seller (since they were recommended for the F70 on this site) so once that comes in we will see how it works out. How long did it take to ship? I can't wait to start playing.

Hi there, I am interested in the same model.

Could you please give some further info:

- Is vehicle speed and/or position recorded on the video footage?

- Does one need special software to access the videos and/or GPS logs, or can they simply be copied via USB mass storage or from the SD card?

Thanks & have fun with your new camera.

I can answer a few of those now.

jimbo-tron: I ordered it on a Saturday and received it the second Thursday afterwards. About 9 business days. That was using the basic shipping which claims 5-10 days, but the seller listed a 5 day processing time.

dashcamjunior: In my test, I didn't see the speed or GPS info on the video. I'm also not sure it's possible to overlay it. I believe what they're doing is creating a separate data stream that goes to a specific text file. It's a .map, but I can't read it using a text editor. The video can be played or copied like a normal file on a memory card, which is great. The only issue is that you need the software to read the GPS logs. Not a big deal, but the software isn't exactly user-friendly. I tried running it on a laptop with a 1024x600 resolution, but the bottom was cut off because the program seems to have a specific window size. When I used a separate monitor at 1450x1280, the rest of the window was displayed. Unfortunately, that's all I can offer so far until I get it mounted. The GPS doesn't work too well in the house. :)

blue_q, thank you for your feedback so far.

The background for my question is this post, where DashCamMan supposes the hardware to be similar to this device. That would be perfect for me.
I cannot use the software provided with other cameras, as I refuse to use Windows, or to install Windows software under Linux. Of course, this is my problem and not one of the camera...

However, might I ask you for some more information: Could you please check if it is possible to directly access all files on the SD card with the file explorer (connecting a PC to the camera, or the SD card to your PC). The format of the GPS files is not that important; even if it is not a readable text file, there should be some way to extract the GPS data.
In some video reviews of different GPS logging DVRs I have seen devices that don`t even let you see the video footage without the software, but only show a small partition with the special software to install in order to access video footage and GPS log. In my opinion a bad restriction, at least for an average user. What if the software won`t run on future Windows versions? Note that the guy in the other thread has problems with the software as well.

edit: reading your above post again, it seems that you tried that and actually were able to access all files. If you don`t mind, I would be interested in having a small GPS log file (email, don`t post it to the internet), to examine tha data format. Of course, I promise to delete it immediately thereafter, as it will contain personal data of yours (geographic locations).

Please allow me another question: The connection cable of the GPS receiver seems very short to me. Can you confirm it is a standard 3,5mm stereo plug? Then it should be possible to use an extender, to hide the receiver somewhere or place it on the dashboard instead of sticking it upside down to the front window.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
dashcamjunior said:
blue_q, thank you for your feedback so far.

The background for my question is this post, where DashCamMan supposes the hardware to be similar to this device. That would be perfect for me.
I cannot use the software provided with other cameras, as I refuse to use Windows, or to install Windows software under Linux. Of course, this is my problem and not one of the camera...

However, might I ask you for some more information: Could you please check if it is possible to directly access all files on the SD card with the file explorer (connecting a PC to the camera, or the SD card to your PC). The format of the GPS files is not that important; even if it is not a readable text file, there should be some way to extract the GPS data.
In some video reviews of different GPS logging DVRs I have seen devices that don`t even let you see the video footage without the software, but only show a small partition with the special software to install in order to access video footage and GPS log. In my opinion a bad restriction, at least for an average user. What if the software won`t run on future Windows versions? Note that the guy in the other thread has problems with the software as well.

edit: reading your above post again, it seems that you tried that and wre able to access all files.

Please allow me another question: The connection cable of the GPS receiver seems very short to me. Can you confirm it is a standard 3,5mm stereo plug? Then it should be possible to use an extender, to hide the receiver somewhere or place it on the dashboard instead of sticking it upside down to the front window.

Thank you in advance.

find one that gives you the files as H.264 MOV files and you won't have an issue with any Linux versions, I can pull the MicroSD card out of my cam plug it straight into my Android phone and play the files straight up, the GPS data for these is in a text file which you should have no trouble viewing in any editor

the ones that do AVI format very often has some sort of playback software that only runs on Windows and you need to export to view elsewhere, cams like this are not user friendly at all, the software they provide (that I've tried) is also very buggy, steer clear of those is my suggestion

jokiin said:
find one that gives you the files as H.264 MOV files and you won't have an issue with any Linux versions, I can pull the MicroSD card out of my cam plug it straight into my Android phone and play the files straight up, the GPS data for these is in a text file which you should have no trouble viewing in any editor

the ones that do AVI format very often has some sort of playback software that only runs on Windows and you need to export to view elsewhere, cams like this are not user friendly at all, the software they provide (that I've tried) is also very buggy, steer clear of those is my suggestion

Thank you for your advice, jokiin. That is exactly what I am trying to find out about the F70G. :)

Most probably there is a way even to access "hidden" files of cameras with Linux (I suppose they are on a hidden partition of the SD card), but I would like to avoid the hazzle in advance. Data should be at least accessible without any further steps.

I have browsed some of your last posts, but was not able to find out what type of camera you are actually using? F70G?

@DashCamMan: Maybe this info (proprietary software needed, or not) might be worth being listed in the comparison table for the cameras?

Regards,

Hans

yeah sorry, I don't have one of these cameras that you're looking at here, my comments were just general in nature based on what's out in the market and hoped you might find useful

if you can't get the detail you're looking for here I'm happy to share a video sample and associated GPS log file that you can look at and see how you go using in a Linux environment

Hi Hans,

Really for most cameras with GPS, you typically need proprietary software. GPS data is stored in a variety of different formats which is the primary issue.

DashCamMan said:
Hi Hans,

Really for most cameras with GPS, you typically need proprietary software. GPS data is stored in a variety of different formats which is the primary issue.

The software for viewing the GPS data and making sense of it is generally Windows environment only, the data itself though is very often contained in a flat text file, Regsitrator Viewer while still a Windows platform software has the ability to export this data in a number of different (possibly more useful) formats that are not Windows specific, whether you could use that for anything useful depends on what you intend to do with the data I guess but there are some options

I'd love to see something like Registrator Viewer ported to the *nix platform, have been asked for Mac playback software a few times recently

Details on viewing the files on *nix/*nux may be slightly off topic here. When I have a logging DVR, I will surely investigate further and post in a separate thread. I still have to read the forum`s general section to see if there is anything yet.

So much for now: when the data is accessible in some way, at least creating a kml file for viewing on Google Earth, gpx for Garmin Mapsource or similar programs should be no big issue. gpsbabel or Perl will do the job (I did that with my old Garmin nüvi 200 that I have used as a logger; logs in proprietary binary format but relatively easy to decode).

However I would appreciate knowing some the F70G details before I buy, to avoid any hazzle.

Regards, Hans

dashcamjunior said:
Details on viewing the files on *nix/*nux may be slightly off topic here. When I have a logging DVR, I will surely investigate further and post in a separate thread. I still have to read the forum`s general section to see if there is anything yet.

So much for now: when the data is accessible in some way, at least creating a kml file for viewing on Google Earth, gpx for Garmin Mapsource or similar programs should be no big issue. gpsbabel or Perl will do the job (I did that with my old Garmin nüvi 200 that I have used as a logger; logs in proprietary binary format but relatively easy to decode).

However I would appreciate knowing some the F70G details before I buy, to avoid any hazzle.

Regards, Hans

Registrator Viewer works with my cam (and plenty of others) http://registratorviewer.narod.ru/features_en.html and can take the included GPS data files *.gpx, *.plt, *.nmea and export to a number of different formats. Export tracks to formats: KML (for Google Earth), CSV (for Excel), GPX (GPS eXchange Format), PLT (Ozi Explorer). and can even use the data to create subtitles

all of this is I'm sure reasonably straightforward and something you should be able to accomplish in a Linux environment as the data files are just text

Yes, it should be straight forward, given file access.

I am very curious to learn about blue_q`s impressions.

No problem on the info. This should help:
So far, I've viewed the videos on Ubuntu by taking the memory card and putting it in a USB card reader. They played fine on my Linux desktop. (I prefer Linux too). On the Windows laptop, I don't have a MicroSD slot, so I had to use the camera as a USB card reader and that seemed to work fine as well. I could play the videos in VLC and the software appeared to read the files easily.

You're right about the GPS cable. It's probably about 6 inches/15 cm, but it looks like a standard 3.5 mm jack. I don't have it right now, but there may be 4 pins instead of 3. I'll have to check and let you know.

The temps here are going to be above freezing tomorrow, so I'm going to try and mount it when I get home from work. I plan on being able to get some sample videos for posting by the end of the week. I might drive into the mountains on the weekend and get some more interesting video. :)

Thank you for the information, blue_q. That sounds promising.

I have ordered today. Curious if the $35 express shipping is worth the charge. We`ll see.

According to the pictures I have seen on the internet, the GPS plug has three connectors; probably Vcc, GND and data transmit. If I buy one, of course this will be subject to further examinations :)

Regards, Hans

Hi,

I bought one of these from China.

It took 2/3 weeks to arrive - but I've yet to pay for it due to the lack of software provided.

The DVR arrived without a CD - so I've scoured the internet looking for something that will work. All I've managed to do at the moment is get the video playing, but only one cam at a time. I've seen youtube videos showing people playing the video as it appears on the DVR monitor ie mostly front cam with rear cam in top right hand corner.

But the bit that I'm really having problems with is the speed, g sensor and gps readings. I can't get these to work at all. I've noticed that there are a series of .map files that I assume contain this data, but try as I might I can't get anything to play these, nor can I get anything to convert them with.

I've emailed the seller and am awaiting their response. I'll allow a little extra time due to it being the Chinese New Year, but if I don't get a satisfactory answer it'll be going back. Shame as it otherwise works well at a good price.

Regards

Simon

Hi,

watching the description on aliexpress, there is no disc containing software. Did you try to connect the main unit itself to your PC as mass storage device? As far as I understand, the GPS enabled cameras often contain the software in the device itself.

In other threads you`ll find recommendations for this piece of software:
http://registratorviewer.narod.ru/index_en.html
Your model is not on the compatibility list, but you could try it. Maybe you will be able to play at least the videos together.

As you can read above, I would have no use for the software anyway. So if you don`t get the software, instead of sending it back to China on your own cost and pray for a partial refund, I might be interested in buying yours (aliexpress has cancelled my F70G order for unknown reasons). If this is an option for you, and the device is otherwise okay, working and complete, then contact me via PM.

Regards,

Hans

Hi Hans,

I've tried Registratorviewer, but it doesn't help with the .map file problem and also it only shows the video from one cam, not both together.

Re disc for software - if you look at the photo at the start of this thread you will see a disc. I have looked to see if the cam has the software on it - but can't find anything. It didn't write anything to the SD card either.

I have emailed the seller and am waiting for a reply.

I will report back.

Regards

Simon

Here we go: sample videos. LOTS of them! I'll start with a small review. I am very satisfied with the performance so far. It hasn't rebooted at random times (like my last cam). The picture quality is excellent, considering the price. I'm even happy with the rear camera's resolution. You can see in one of the videos at a stoplight that we can read the front license plate, plus read a speed limit sign on the other side of the road at 60 mph. I haven't tried the software yet. I'll do that this weekend when I drive into the mountains and record some more interesting roads.

Simon - I find it strange they didn't include a CD with the software. They included it for me. I had an issue with the software (which turned out to be my computer) and within 12 hours of emailing them, I had a reply with the latest version posted on a Chinese download site. Admittedly, I didn't actually download it because you have to sign up and I can't read Chinese to do it, but the support was definitely there.

Videos:
Here's a link to the playlist with all of the videos available: F70G sample videos
NOTE: The rear camera is looking through a 20% VLT (visible light transmission) tinted window.

The first set are edited videos where I joined 2 sequential videos together to demonstrate the gap at 2 minutes. There's a very minor blip in the video, but the audio is continuous.
Daytime, joined, overlay of rear onto front.
Daytime, joined, front only
Daytime, joined, rear only

Morning, front, westbound
Morning, rear, westbound (sun in full view)

Night, front
Night, rear

I hope this is helpful to other people. Suffice it to say, I'm keeping the camera. :D

Thanks to blue_q I now have the software that goes with this DVR.

BUT I have to say it is very poor - shame because I think the DVR is very good.

Problems that I have found

Takes ages to load files
Only plays one file at a time
Doesn't show front and rear videos together
No G Sensor readings
GPS is miles off the correct location

Shame that registrator viewer can't handle the .map files as it's way better as a piece of software. If anybody on here knows how it may be possible to overcome this please let me know. It needs to be fairly well explained though - I'm a bit of beginner when it comes to computers.

Back