F770 Hardwiring

Woddeh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heyo,

I'm having difficulty hardwiring an F770 to my BMW 3 Series (F30). The car is RHD and the fuse box is located in the trunk just behind the right wheel. All in all, the measuring run totals about 4 meters (13.12 feet) after I've run it through all its hiding places. The only cable provided by Thinkware (and as such the only compatible one?) is a measlily 2.5m (8.2 feet).

Are there any longer cables or am I condemned to throwing a iVolt mini-battery in my car somewhere? What is the mileage on this product? Not many people seem to have one.

P.S Sorry if I'm moody in this post, it's just a right hassle hardwiring in a car where the seats don't go down - Ha!

I installed my F770 in my LHD F80, which is effectively the same as your F30. For BMW, you should install a battery for your F770 as BMW's computer will complain if there is a power virus sucking up power when the car is off and throw a code. I bought my dashcam and other parts from blackboxmycar.com in Canada. The kit I bought includes a blackboxmycar hardwiring cable. I think I used that instead of what came in the F770 box.

I installed my F770 in my LHD F80, which is effectively the same as your F30. For BMW, you should install a battery for your F770 as BMW's computer will complain if there is a power virus sucking up power when the car is off and throw a code. I bought my dashcam and other parts from blackboxmycar.com in Canada. The kit I bought includes a blackboxmycar hardwiring cable. I think I used that instead of what came in the F770 box.

I actually didn't think about this. I'm driving a 330e which is very, very sensitive with the abundance of sensors they crammed in it.

Honestly I'd much rather have been able to just throw a long-run cable through the car, but hey-ho, I'll stick a battery in. Do you have any good ideas for positions? I'm currently debating putting it down the side of the driver's seat, as putting it on the floor would cause the seat to crush the battery, and the wire won't reach much further into the cabin from the rear fuse box.

I put my Cell link B battery in the tub in the trunk (boot :) ) close the fuse box. F80 doesn't have a spare tire (tyre :LOL: ) so there is a lot of room under the floor board.

We have the Thinkware iVolts in stock - http://thinkwaredashcam.store/product/ivolt-mini-external-battery/

This will power the F770 2ch for around 20hrs on a full charge. To be honest we don;t seem to have any issue with the 3 series flagging up battery drains seems to be the 5 Series upwards but this will still give better parking recording times.

Back