F770: please format your memory card for data integrity

Koolvin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This message comes up every time I start the camera even after having performed the below.... very annoying

• I have formatted the card using the camera FORMAT button itself (3 second format button)
  • I have also used the Thinkware App on my smartphone to format.

Thinkware say no PC needed so why should I take out the SD card from the camera when it should be done in situ?

F770 and yes it did say format complete

Thinkware genuine as supplied with my unit 32gb

seems odd that their 'Format free technology' would be bugging you constantly to format the card for reasons of data integrity

There must be a problem with the unit and/or card. I don't know about any format-free technology but mine only asks for the reformat every 2-3 weeks.

It's only the F50 model that's format free.

The other models should remind you to format the card every 2 weeks.

Can i ask if this camera is a Cigar Plug connection or Hard Wired please?

It's only the F50 model that's format free.

actually they seem to have back pedaled on that claim anyway, website now says "This reduces the potential of data corruption which in turn reduces the need to regularly format your memory card." for the F50

Do you use parking mode? Or does it work? I haven't come across this fault before so far but i was wondering if the camera Permanent power supply and the ignition power supply may be the wrong way around? Parking mode wouldn't work if it's wrong.

On the memory card in the settings folder there is a SDCARD_FORMAT_TIME.bin file if you open this file with Notepad on the PC what does it say please?

actually they seem to have back pedaled on that claim anyway, website now says "This reduces the potential of data corruption which in turn reduces the need to regularly format your memory card." for the F50

It must depend where you look as on Thinkware.com it says:
The F50 utilizes the TAT (Time Allocation Table) save system instead of the FAT (File Allocation Table) system. This allows THINKWARE’s proprietary Format Free Technology to eliminate the need for periodical manual formatting of recorded video files on the microSD memory card. It also helps extend the life of your memory card. You can view recorded video files on any PC or smartphone without having to worry about converting files. THINKWARE DASH CAM F50 saves the hassle of manually clearing memory space.

Anyway, either way the data has less chance of corruption than normal!

I do use parking mode and the unit has been flawless up until now. It's the first time the format card alert has come on as the unit is only 2 weeks old.

I will extract the bin file later tonight when I get home.

Cheers.

P.S. I have sent an email to our contact in Korea to see if he has any suggestions on this problem. I will report back once i have a reply...

Do you use parking mode? Or does it work? I haven't come across this fault before so far but i was wondering if the camera Permanent power supply and the ignition power supply may be the wrong way around? Parking mode wouldn't work if it's wrong.

On the memory card in the settings folder there is a SDCARD_FORMAT_TIME.bin file if you open this file with Notepad on the PC what does it say please?

The bin file contains: 20161018

the bin file time stamp from properties is 270916 (today)

The bin file contains: 20161018

the bin file time stamp from properties is 270916 (today)

I now have formatted using the windows based client, when I re-looked at the structure the bin file had been deleted. I then re-inserted the SD card into the dashcam and the annoying message has gone.

I re-initiated a format using the dashcam and the message has stayed away. I have not yet looked at the file structure to see if there is a bin file and or what the entries are within.

perhaps a glitch? perhaps a bug? I will not know now until the card re-asks for format.

Hopefully a glitch as it's not something i've heard of before! I got a reply from Korea but it wasn't great, unusually i think i had a bit of a language barrier in that email as the reply didnt make a lot of sense. I won't worry for the moment....

Back