F800 Pro rear camera mount and Tinted windows

Michael J

Reaction score
Country
United States
All, I have a 2018 Charger Hellcat and trying to figure out where to mount the rear. The rear window is a Llumar ceramic tint (its a 35% tint). Can I mount the rear camera directly to the tint or do I need to try to cut the tint?
There is a 6" x 6" square where the rear light is at. Im think every time I hit the break, I will get red coming from the back though..so its probably not a good idea to mount it there I thinkCapture1.JPG

I think you can safely mount onto the tint, and should be able to remove it carefully without issue

worst case scenario, would a retint of the rear screen be costly if you cut it wrong, or if it got damaged removing the cam?

yes costly. I think they would have to retint the entire back window. Probably $150

I agree as long as it's a good quality tint all should be fine, the problem is you won't know until the day comes to remove the rear cam! (Or just leave it fitted tot he vehicle and purchase a new rear cam as an accessory!) Some customers turn up the brightness of the rear camera too to allow for the Tint.

You need to make sure the tinted area where the camera is located is free of air bubbles or any sort of imperfections. Imperfections will include but not limited to: air bubbles, lint, dirt, streaks of oil. If there is any imperfections, get the dealership to fix it first.

Double check after cleaning by doing the following: Sit in the driver seat and look at the rear view mirror. Are the cars or objects in the rear view mirror in focus or are they are bit blurry? Get it fixed if it is blurry (it may be caused by contamination from the glue or glass during tinting).

Once you are happy and everything is clean, you can put the rear camera on the tint. Furthermore, you can put a small piece of black electrical tape or black tint to keep the brake light from getting into the video. It might be worth while to use 3M scotch tape and "try fit" first before you use the double sided adhesive to permanently stick it on.

It is safe to put the rear camera on the tint. Just be aware that more effort might be needed if you want to remove it later.

Oh lastly, do not cut a hole on the tint just to mount the camera. It looks silly and the wide field of view of the camera might pick up on the cutout and mess up all your videos.

Furthermore, note that footage from the rear camera will be a bit more dark compared to the front.

Back