Fail to change lanes for police or tow truck

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2

I noticed drivers are more likely to observe the law if it is for police. Some drivers don't care either way.

Last edited:
Are you supposed to move over ?

Thats not the case here and our EMG/ breakdown lanes seem smaller, and will most likely be turned into driving lanes too.

I would off course pull over, its the least a sane person could do in a situation like that.

After a trooper was killed last week in Denver, police here is enforcing move over law strictly.
There are even fake stops, cops just stop on the shoulder to see if drivers move over or not and ticket them.

However, changing lane is not always safe like the 2nd time in the OP's video here as cars were changing lane from fast lane but slowing down by 20mph or more than speed limit is easily doable in highways.

https://www.google.com/amp/kdvr.com...nes-spotlight-on-colorados-move-over-law/amp/

A cop was shot in the head here yesterday, just outside a police station.
= instant national panic all cops scramble and armed guards at major police stations as if it was a coordinated attack to take out the entire Danish police force o_O

8 Cops have been killed or wounded in shootings within the past 2 years, numbers are scaring some people, im like :rolleyes: what the hell did you expect when you let criminals run wild and dont have any means in the law to either scare them strait or take them out for a long - long time.

Cop seem to be out of danger now, he was shot with a .22 stolen from a gun club a few days before ( assuming shooter just walked out of the door with what i assume is one of those small Ruger .22 thats been around for decades )

Perp was arrested within 1 hour, known criminal aged 26 with a grudge against police as he shot at them before with airsoft gun.

In Ontario, we have had the law for slightly over ten years now. I believe after a female police officer was hit and killed, they made the law. In Southern Western Ontario, there are bridges named for Ontario Provincial police officers killed in the line of duty and I think in many of the cases - it was traffic stops. Last year the law was changed to include tow operators

In the states, a tow truck operator is killed every 6 days

@Sunny, the Ontario law states one should make a lane change only if safe. If unable to do so - slow down.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/emergency-vehicles.shtml

I don't understand why Britain and European countries don't have this law yet. Perhaps there hasn't been the fatalities we have had here.

I never tried to break down, but if i did on a motorway with a EMG lane, i would get out of my car and out on the other side of the barrier.
I wouldn't like to stay in the car thats for sure, so distracted people are today driving i would be bordering a panic attack if i was stuck in the rear of stopped traffic on a motorway.

With road works here its a place cops like to stake out as people dont respect the lower speed limits in such a place, a few days ago i guy was measured to do 176 km/h in a 90 zone :rolleyes:

I would off course pull over, its the least a sane person could do in a situation like that.

What do you mean by pull over? The emergency lane is a pretty dangerous place. I wouldn't pull over for a cop or towtruck. There's already professionals there, what can I do?

I mean pull over / keep to the left so the lane nearest to the EMG lane is empty where people work, off course i would not stop to bother a person doing his job.

But thats just me, seem like most Danes dont give a damn and will gladly pass by people working on the road while they do 130 km/h :rolleyes:

In SC USA the law is either move over or reduce speed for stopped emergency vehicles. I've always given them room when I could but most didn't, so they had to have it forced onto them by law to make their brains work properly. And even with big signs posted on the highways making sure everyone knows this, many people still ignore it :confused:

Phil

The driving attitude 100 kms outside of Toronto is much better than it. Not as many idiots or congestion. I noticed drivers outside of the city moving to the next lane for tow trucks and for cars with hazards without tow trucks before it became law. But I believe it was an accident in that vicinity that got the ball rolling on making this law.

I have shot a few video on this and this is how this video was brought to my attention. One with a clip with tow truck workers on the ground on the drivers side with cars whizzing past at over 100 km. Despite the recklessness in Toronto, haven't word of a worker getting hurt. I guess because from time to time one tow truck driver or a fire truck will close a lane or two to aid in workers or accident victims. Causes congestion, but gives a safe environment.

Problem is there alot of people out there don't care about following safety rules, I don't care who is in the emergency lane (Police, Tow Truck, State Truck, any vehicle that is in the emergency lane that is broken down is a emergency vehicle and will pull over to the next lane and give them the space. But alot of people don't think that way and don't try pulling over to the next lane as they pass them. The real issue that I have is people just pulling in a emergency lane to change a diaper, or a smoke break, etc is NOT A EMERGENCY and should not be in the lane in the first place. They can go to the next exit!!!! It's way to far dangerous in a high speed highway to be doing sh** like that.

These move-over laws simply shift the danger from the guy on the side of the road to everyone else. This is another one of those typical 'feel-good' laws that do nothing to fix the problem they're designed to resolve - and simply make things worse.

Does anyone think for a moment that anyone deliberately smashes their vehicle into emergency vehicles? Short of a suicidal nutbag, that just doesn't happen. It's careless, inattentive, distracted, sleepy, or incapacitated drivers that do. So, how does a move-over law get any of those people to suddenly care more, be more attentive, less distracted, more awake, or less drunk? Simple. It doesn't.

What it does do, however, is cause law-abiding, attentive, and alert drivers to make abrupt changes from normal driving. That means other, less attentive drivers caught in a middle lane, for example, who can't see past the 18-wheeler in the right lane are caught off guard when without warning that 18-wheeler tries to force his way over. In extreme cases, much like rubbernecking, the whole mass of cars will slow suddenly to make room for one another - creating accidents.

It's a well-intentioned law, but it does nothing to stop the underlying cause.

It reminds me of the no-texting laws that have gone mainstream. No one wants anyone to text. So there is little opposition to the law. Yet, all it has done is taken an admittedly dangerous practice of texting in the open (with the phone held up and over the steering wheel where the driver still has use of peripheral vision), and made it exponentially more dangers. Now those same drivers who will text no matter what law is passed, will do so with the phone in their laps (to conceal the illegal activity). Now they have no peripheral vision, and are MUCH more likely to get into an accident.

I don't know what the solution is, but this is not it.

There is the possibility that someone may make an unsafe lane change to get out of the lane next to tow truck. The Ontario law states one is to make a lane change, but only if it is safe to do. I feel the law should be expanded to state cars in the middle or left lane should slow down to allow lane changes for cars to their right.

I have video of cars flying past tow truck operators on the ground on the left side of vehicle. In one case, lying down. If you can't change lanes then slow down.

Although I normally make lane changes when approaching vehicles, there are cases I have not given the speed of the traffic to my left or that fact the cars to my left are tail gating each other.

Most states and provinces have slow down in construction zones, but only twice on provincial that goes towards Detroit from Toronto, in my 27 years of regularly using that highway, have I seen enforcement in these areas. As such, rarely is there a slow down in speed

My wife and I witnessed an accident several years back and stuck around to give a statement to the police. Although the one car that got out of control and then got in an accident was in two lanes, the fire trucks blocked three to provide a safe environment for the emergency crews. I almost think a tow truck should block the right lane when a tow truck operator is on the ground to the left of the vehicle as cars are not slowing down - even with a tow truck operator to the side of the vehicle.

In neighbourhoods where the have been pedestrian fatalities, they are considering reducing the speed limit. Although good intentioned, what it may due is further increase high and low speed differential between vehicles. Some cars may slow down, whereas most will continue to drive fast. Given that many drivers can't seem to judge the speed of the vehicle in their left lane when making a lane change, it will increase the possibility of an accident if you further increase the difference in speeds of two vehicles. Anyway, given there are plenty of rules here, with inadequate enforcement - what difference will it make.

What you're saying is all well and good IF the drivers in middle and left lanes are alert, considerate, and above all, see the hazard on the shoulder on the right. If there is a bus, truck, RV or other large vehicle(s) in the right lane, obscuring the view for everyone to his left, they will not know that there is a breakdown on the shoulder. Sure, the vehicles in the right lane should just slow down - or signal early enough for those in the middle to make way. But the masses are already incapable of avoiding crashing into a stationary vehicle with flashing red and blue lights. Do you really think you'll get everyone (and I do mean 100% of drivers) to be THAT attentive and aware of their surroundings to move out of the way of vehicles coming at them from the right lane. No way. Your intentions are good. But the only way our suggestions would LESSEN the risk to all involved is if we lived in a perfect world. Since we don't, the move-over laws DO NOTdecrease the risk to roadside workers (inattentive, drunks, etc don't move over anyway). But, the risk to the travel lanes INCREASES from all the panicked lane changes.

Just yesterday, I watched several cars skidding to avoid slamming into suddenly stopped traffic. Why was it stopped? Because a cop had pulled someone over (on the left shoulder). Drivers in the left (fast) lane were veering quite abruptly into the middle lane, causing that traffic to panic stop (more than needed). The cascading effect was a bottle neck that resulted in 65MPH traffic dropping to 5MPH in less than 100 yards.

Part of that conditioning to move over quickly has to do with regular stings that the police set up. They'll have a car on the shoulder with his emergency lights on (with no one pulled over). As soon as someone goes by without moving over or slowing (to 20mph less than posted) that same cop car pulls out after them to ticket them. All the while, traffic behind that location is swerving to avoid getting ticketed, or to make way for those who just pull into their lane. It's dumb, and it increases the risk. Again, the intention is good, and I think something ought to be done to increase the safety of those working on the side of the road, but the move over laws are worse than ineffective.

Last edited:
Here in Texas the rule is either move over a lane or slow down 20 mph less than the posted speed limit. With some 70-75 mph speed limits that still makes it legal to go by at a pretty fast clip. I'm glad I don't have that job!

Here in Texas the rule is either move over a lane or slow down 20 mph less than the posted speed limit. With some 70-75 mph speed limits that still makes it legal to go by at a pretty fast clip. I'm glad I don't have that job!
Near Austin there are some 80 and 85 mph limits!

Near Austin there are some 80 and 85 mph limits!
Very true. I was thinking about the freeways around Dallas-Ft Worth. Those you can still drive on with no toll. Never been down there to drive on the 85 mph tollway. Of course they drive 80-90 in the 70-75 zones. Too hectic for this old geezer.

Very true. I was thinking about the freeways around Dallas-Ft Worth. Those you can still drive on with no toll. Never been down there to drive on the 85 mph tollway. Of course they drive 80-90 in the 70-75 zones. Too hectic for this old geezer.
Yeah basically in the 80-85 zones, it's just a place where people can do what they always do (go fast) without a chance of getting a ticket (unless it's raining or whatever)

I have to say, hitting someone in those circumstances is right near the top of the list of things I want to avoid. I couldn't live with myself if I did so.
You can normally see these things when you are far away. I move out as soon as it is safe so the person behind me can see the danger too!
And while you have to move safely, I have no problem inconveniencing people approaching in the distance wanting to overtake me. I'll be doing the speed limit anyway. They can wait until I can move back in safely.

Back