Failed to record the accident after a crash

jessyh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish it protected mine when i just had an accident!!! 2 minutes MISSING of the most crucial part. nextbase have failed me will look for an alternative as i have lost faith. recorded great before and even after. beware as it seems a very common problem i have since discovered. only good to record other ppls accidents.

Sorry to hear of this, yeah I have seen other nb users have in the past lost crucial footage when involved in an accident and can not retrieve the files.

Have you contacted Tiffany on the forum the rep from nextbase to discuss this matter further?

we have been emailing all day. not got anywhere yet. All i can think is the file was corrupt and written over. Really needed it too car was only 4 days old and cost £24000. So i am super fustrated by it. i hope the insurance goes in my favour as pretty certain it would have with the footage. i could have prooved my speed too. gutted. thanks for your reply.

Lesson to be learned for everyone perhaps ?
Take the SD card out of the cam immediately after an accident to preserve footage.

Absolutely!!! Found that out after too. if only we were told these things. trusted the cam and what it had to offer. But def lesson learnt.

The two files are playing on VLC media player here, albeit they appear to be saved onto a card that isn't storing the data correctly. It seems fragmented, this is also reinforced by the card not being formatted in its use at all.

The file I think you need has been overwritten, can you screen shot your system info page as your file structure isn't consistent of being on 12.4 firmware.

Thanks Jess, speak soon.

thats because it was 9.5 not 12.4.

its been updated to 12.4 now with a different memory card and formatted. but still in 2 mindsnto change to a better brand.

It seems to me, reading the thread, that the SD Card was the issue, not the camera.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that it's best to format the card using the camera, regularly.

well this should be stated more clearly...most ppl would not know this. i didnt.

Manual, page 3, item 2.1

not disputing that...i mean it should jump oit at u. it is a vital peice of info.

also how come it saved all the prior recordings and later ones? all in protected folder. i dont understand that. is it because of the impact from the rear?

I think we can take this as another proof that dashcams are not install and forget, really the more often you can look over the memory card for inconsistencies the better.

@jessyh Good news on the firmware update. Some files were protected from that day and some after, the file wasn't protected in itself.

It was then overwritten as there was only a tiny portion of the card free for new recordings, it was quite full of protected files. This means your file had overwritten by the time you'd gone to check.

I think we can take this as another proof that dashcams are not install and forget, really the more often you can look over the memory card for inconsistencies the better.
It also seems that if the card was quite full of protected files, then the impact sensitivity is set too high. A short while after installing a new camera it is a good idea to review the camera operation for things like event sensitivity, brightness settings and so on, in addition to regularly reviewing the memory card for errors.

that might be the problem too, you want to keep a eye out for too many read only files too i recon ( never personally used parking mode which is all i see in combination with sensor triggered events )
Having g sensor on while driving seem silly to me, you are still recording, and i am sure most of us will feel it if we get hit.

But to be honest i thought modern cameras set aside some space of the memory card for event files, and then did recycling of those as that section filled up
Having no limit of space the read only files can take up seem stupid and will just lead to this scenario or at least have a high chance of it.

Still if you look at your memory card once in a while you should pick up on this, and figure out something are not right.

But to be honest i thought modern cameras set aside some space of the memory card for event files, and then did recycling of those as that section filled up
Having no limit of space the read only files can take up seem stupid and will just lead to this scenario or at least have a high chance of it.

Yes the latest firmware does this, its a good idea.

Last week I was involved in quite a serious road traffic accident involving a driver opening his car door without first checking for any overtaking vehicles. I had no time to react as I was just passing the car, my car hit the door and was deflected into oncoming traffic. Fortunately no injuries occurred, however the airbags inflated and the engine cut out, automatically isolating the electrical supplies.

My dashcam Motorola MDC150 had been faithfully recording all previous events at 5 minute intervals but did not record either the minutes leading up to the crash or the crash itself.

When the rescue services eventually restarted the motor then the dashcam started its recording sequences but only at 1 minute or so intervals.
The power supply is via the plug-in 12v source located in the central consul.

I have sent the SD card for analysis hoping to recover the "lost" files.

I have no idea why the dashcam did not capture either the run up to or the accident itself.

My car is a right-off and without the dashcam evidence it seems that the offending driver isn't admitting liability even though he was clearly at fault.

So beware, dashcams are not always the answer and it seems from other posts on here that failure to record is not an uncommon event.

Back