Fake HD dashcam ebay sellerS - "smartbuybar" and "2015happydeal"

Garras

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
The tittle is self explanatory
Bought this 2 dashcams:
Car Dash Camera 1080P 2.4" HD LCD Video DVR Cam Recorder Night Vision K6000 UK from "smartbuybar"
Car DVR 160° 1080P HD Cam Camera Video Dash Recorder CCTV G-sensor Night Vision from "2015happydeal"
One youtuber that i follow bought one with the same design that was actually good.
In my case, i was scammed.
This are not HD cameras (not even close)
There is HD settings on the camera menu but, no matter what setting you select, Maximum resolution is probably 200px/400px.
Image is jagged, jumpy and pretty much CR*P.

Both seller are willing to refund me after returning the products, but still... someone else is going to be scammed by them.

I will leave this here just as a warning not to buy from this sellers.

Cheers everyone
Have a great day

the price should have been a giveaway
True, but i follow a youtuber that bought one of those for around the same price and it was actually HD.

This youtuber is "bigclivedotcom".
He has a teardown channel where he gets stuff from ebay and opens everything to show us how it works.
He got one and said that the image was really good.

maybe he got lucky? LOL

Anyway, you are right... the price should have been a NoNo from the start.
I just dont want to spend a lot of money for a dashcam that will be inside my old micra, permanently fitted.
Micras are SOOOO easy to open and nick. LOL

Cheers :)

He got one and said that the image was really good.

maybe he got lucky? LOL
maybe he didn't qualify the statement, perhaps he meant it was good considering how cheap it was, perhaps he just has low expectations, there's lot of cheapy cameras like this on Amazon that people review and genuinely think they're great, quite often because they just don't know any better, had you have asked here first nobody would have bet on those being any good, they're the lowest of the breed in the dashcam world

Yes, because some people will actually believe the crap he is saying is true

Probably asking the obvious here but is there any kind of fire risk with super cheap dash cams?

yes, if it has a battery there is always that risk, but probably more so with something so cheap.

seems Clive doesn't know much about cameras which is why you got stung I guess

Yes, because some people will actually believe the crap he is saying is true
I also subscribe to Big Clive's channel and he comes across as a very knowledgeable and down to earth guy. He may not be an expert on dashcams but he does say 'its a toy' He buys and dismantles many things just to see what is inside, not to actually use.
He says that he is impressed with the quality for this price and compared to many of the things he has dismantled in the past, this is well made. He doesn't make any recommendations about anyone buying it.

Frank

C600 , K6000 ,,,,

Yeah , its a scam !
But there are some clues , Recording video format: M-JPEG = A very big clue ! ...

I have purchased and owned both cams , and posted reviews ...
And if your not prepared to research , well ...

Look its a cheap lesson .. You didn't get scammed for thousands ..
Yeah it's a burn , but , sometimes you need to get burned .

Next time , do the research , and don't trust youtube .
I have seen my share of good footage with alleged K6000 and C600 cams .. And I do mean alleged !

A huge clue is MJPEG - this is a warning to stay away ...
Video format AVI , just another way off saying MJPEG ...

Unless they clearly spell out the video format and codec used , assume its MJPEG .
And unless you see 1920x1080 + the true video format + codec , assume its MJPEG ...

At 10 British Pounds Stirling , you didn't actually over pay ... But they are bottom of the barrel cams ...
The cheapest cam I would recommend to anyone =
The A118c On sale ATM ... 22-03-2016

seems Clive doesn't know much about cameras which is why you got stung I guess

Well, that is life.
lol
I really like to watch this Guy on the videos as he really knows the electronic part of it and explains it very well.
Clearly, not very "updated" as dashcam quality goes.... but still fin to watch.
Lol

C600 , K6000 ,,,,

Yeah , its a scam !
But there are some clues , Recording video format: M-JPEG = A very big clue ! ...

I have purchased and owned both cams , and posted reviews ...
And if your not prepared to research , well ...

Look its a cheap lesson .. You didn't get scammed for thousands ..
Yeah it's a burn , but , sometimes you need to get burned .

Next time , do the research , and don't trust youtube .
I have seen my share of good footage with alleged K6000 and C600 cams .. And I do mean alleged !

A huge clue is MJPEG - this is a warning to stay away ...
Video format AVI , just another way off saying MJPEG ...

Unless they clearly spell out the video format and codec used , assume its MJPEG .
And unless you see 1920x1080 + the true video format + codec , assume its MJPEG ...

At 10 British Pounds Stirling , you didn't actually over pay ... But they are bottom of the barrel cams ...
The cheapest cam I would recommend to anyone =
The A118c On sale ATM ... 22-03-2016

Well, thank you for all the info.
really apreciate it
As a random person that never had a dashcam, i was just in the hurry of getting one... apparently i wasn't very lucky this time.

(Just saying this time as i buy a lot of crap from ebay and usualy, i have good eye to spot the crappy sellers)

In he end of the day, both sellers are ok to refund me (after i send the cameras back), so if all goes well, i will only waste a couple of pounds on postage.

Thank you for you help around here...
I think i might have a better look around here to fins something that i can actually afford
That link you send me was appreciated but i am lokking for something cheaper,
Like i said before, I don't know if i want a £50 camera permanently fitted inside my cheap crappy micra.

Long story short, the reason I was (and i am) in a "hurry" to get this was due to a lot of idiots suddenly wanting to crash against me... had a bit of an issue with a pick-up truck on a roundabout cutting me off and then trying to claim it on my insurance.

Any cheap solution (other than that camera from that link?)

Cheers
have a great day and thank you all for your time :)

That link you send me was appreciated but i am lokking for something cheaper,...

It's been said many times by many people that 'only the rich can afford to buy cheap', or words to that effect. :D

Like i said before, I don't know if i want a £50 camera permanently fitted inside my cheap crappy micra ... Any cheap solution (other than that camera from that link?)
Welcome to DCT. When it comes to DashCams, one YouTuber to trust is Techmoan. One inexpensive (not cheap) solution is Mobius.

image.png

It's reliable, durable, user-repairable (all parts readily available), tiny, discreet, unlikely to be seen by thieves, with good video & audio quality.

Glad I avoided this one, I was only considering it today! I wondered why this one, which looks exactly the same, was 3 X the price, but now I know (assuming it is actually proper HD) - http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/navgear_hd_****pit_recorder_dash_cam_dvr1503hd/version.asp

I'm new to this site but its already helped me out a lot, thanks guys

You will be hard pressed to find a Cheap cam you will like ...
Perhaps the GT300 Dashcam is one to look at ...
Check out the cams on Gearbest , nice place to window shop ..
And every now and again they drop their prices ..
Ebay is a mine field if you dont know what your looking for cam wise ..
Honestly there is very little bellow the $50USD mark worth recommending .

I will admit that any cam is better than no cam , and in that scenario , ????
The A118c is the cheapest cam I would recommend ..
Decent video quality , good build quality , and so far mine has had no problems ..
Or roll the dice ...
I have owned my share of budget cams , and they are all gathering dust , or have graduated to the rubbish bin ..
But if that is the road you want to ho , hey ! ( I had to as well )
Im not sure if I am done with budget cams , but I'm a little slower to throw away money now ...

Hi All
Thank you very much for all your replies.
I now have a full HD (real one) that my company binned because the wifi was not working and the card reader had some problems.
Ifixed it and its now fitted in my crappy 2000 nissan micra, working perfectly, recording an absolutely amazing picture.

Thank you very much to everyone.

Have a fantastic weekend :)

Back