Amazon Fake Reviews

Panzer Platform

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2024 Minimum Requirements: STARVIS 2 & HDR
I just watched a YouTube video about Fake Reviews on Amazon.
My take away after watching the video is Amazon’s entire review system is broken, and the average consumer has no way of deciphering between a legitimate review left by a real human being after they actually purchased, and used the product versus a fake review left by an unscrupulous bad acting company that is paid to leave false & misleading reviews.
I have a feeling most of us already knew this, and this is not news.

However, at 10:18 in the video he describes a bait & switch tactic used by sellers that I witnessed when the viofo A119 Mini 2 was released.
On the very first day, (June 15, 2023) the Mini 2 was available for sale on Amazon it already had 237 reviews, (it currently has 248).
I started reading all the reviews, and they were reviews that were left for the original A119 Mini that was released one year ago.
It appears Viofo simply updated the original A119 Mini item listing with the Mini 2.
Basically when the consumer is shopping for the Mini 2, they will see it has 237 reviews.
But those 237 reviews were written for the original A119 Mini, not the Mini 2.
The Mini 2 is a completely different model.
This does not sit well with me, and feels like a false & misleading bait and switch tactic.
I would like to request @viofo make this right, and separate the two Amazon listings for the original A119 Mini, and the A119 Mini 2 to reflect the true reviews for each model.
Here is the listing for the A119 Mini 2; https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0C5MVB7NX
Sorry for the rant.
-Chuck

Last edited:
When I look at reviews I look at the 1* first. If there are only a handful of them then that maybe indicates a small batch of defective units.

If there are a considerable number with a consistent theme then I come out and move on.

These fake 5* reviews are often very brief, no real detail and often along the lines of "arrived on time 5*"

When I look at reviews I look at the 1* first. If there are only a handful of them then that maybe indicates a small batch of defective units.

If there are a considerable number with a consistent theme then I come out and move on.

These fake 5* reviews are often very brief, no real detail and often along the lines of "arrived on time 5*"
This post is not so much about fake reviews.
It’s about a seller using their reviews from one product for a completely different product, by updating the item listing with a new product.

Agree, that is also something to watch when that happens.

There are some reviews where the purchased product is referenced by default.

It's a minefield.

It’s about a seller using their reviews from one product for a completely different product, by updating the item listing with a new product.
In all fairness that's not always the fault of the seller (but not saying that some sellers aren't doing it).

Reviews are attached to Amazon's product ID code. If a product is removed from Amazon there have been instances where the code is reused for a different product (even from a different seller) and, unfortunately, the reviews for the prior product are carried over. I've seen this happen with reviews I've left - as a result I now include the specific name of the product as part of my review.

and, unfortunately, the reviews for the prior product are carried over.
How is the average consumer supposed to tell the difference from the reviews from the old product are not for the new product?
Here is the listing for the Mini 2;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0C5MVB7NX
It “Ships from Amazon, Sold by Viofo”
It has all the 249 reviews.
Something dishonest is going on.
The seller is ultimately responsible for making sure their item listing is true & correct, not false & misleading.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Viofo, and want to see them succeed as a company.
However, I do not want so see them engage in underhanded business practices.
I want them to succeed on their own just merits.
I’m trying to hold them accountable.
Standards must prevail.
-Chuck

Last edited:
How is the average consumer supposed to tell the difference from the reviews from the old product are not for the new product?
The same way they tell the difference between legitimate and fake reviews - they can't, at least not easily.

In many instances, but not all, Amazon reviews will show the specific product or model that is being reviewed. This is less consistent with dash cam reviews but not all that uncommon either.

For example, some of the reviews (but not all) for the A119 Mini 2 will show this model to be the "style" that is being reviewed at the top of the review.

reviews2.jpg

Other categories are more likely to show what exactly is being reviewed.

Here are some reviews for Vortex Optics Crossfire HD Binoculars.

Vortex binoculars come in a range of magnifications under the same model name and each performs differently. 12x50 - 10x42 - 8x42 - 10x50

All of the reviews show which magnification and objective size is being reviewed so you can differentiate between them.

reviews1.jpg

The same way they tell the difference between legitimate and fake reviews - they can't, at least not easily.
Precisely.
That's why the Mini 2 should only have 12 reviews, (the ones written for that camera).
The original Mini should have the original 237 reviews, (the ones written for that camera).
The reviews for both cameras should not be lumped together.
These are two completely different models.
It's like having reviews for the current iPhone, with the last generation iPhone.
This is false & misleading to the consumer.

If you go to the full reviews page, you can filter for only the specific product in the listing instead of the default, which is all related products.

KuoH

rev.jpg

If you go to the full reviews page, you can filter for only the specific product in the listing instead of the default, which is all related products.
Inconsequential.
The main page is false & misleading.

Screenshot 2023-07-20 4.45.12 PM.png

I'm not saying it's the best way to present those, but it's not just an Amazon thing, Newegg and many other online retailers have been doing the same thing with their reviews as well. Yes, the default should be the exact item and reviews for related styles be the option. It is kind of applicable for things like HDDs, SSDs, memory cards and many other items which can be very similar between models and the consolidated reviews can give a more representative overview of the entire line/brand. Most of us have known for years if not over a decade that many online reviews are unreliable, just like the "real customer testimonials" that still are and have been in TV commercials for even longer than that. At least the tools to get at the relevant info are still there and people who make buying decisions without digging any deeper than the main page aren't necessarily making the wisest of choices. I always look at the most recent 1 and 2 star reviews for common complaints and how recent as well as how many there are to gauge the reliability and effectiveness of an item.

KuoH

Yeah this is really common. I used to take this on more directly, a company got upset with me calling them out, and I got my Amazon reviews account shut down altogether. Companies definitely do have an incentive to game the system…

I used to take this on more directly, a company got upset with me calling them out, and I got my Amazon reviews account shut down altogether.
I noticed the same thing when the A139 Pro was released on Amazon.
It automatically “absorbed” all the reviews from the original A139.
This time I decided to call Viofo on the carpet.
This is my version of heavy handed tough love.
I really do not want to see them engaged in unscrupulous business practices.

I’ve only left one review on Amazon my whole life.
That’s because I was asked by the Manufacturer that sent me a product for test & review on my YouTube channel.
It is a fantastic product that really worked, and blew away my previous unit.
And it was only a few dollars more than the knock offs.
When I tried to write the review for Amazon it kept getting kicked back saying I violated the rules.
It took several revisions before it was finally approved.

My friend WJ Handy Dad; https://www.youtube.com/@WJHandyDad
got all of his 500+ Amazon reviews taken down because he was being “too honest” writing an actual review of how well the product worked.

When I start reading a review, and the author is talking about how it was “delivered quickly”, “came in a nice box”, and all this other info that has absolutely nothing to do with the product I know this person knows nothing about the product itself. Lol
-Chuck

Analyzing online reviews, especially on Amazon is an art-form, not a science.

Longtime experience helps one cut through the B.S. enough to at least get a decent feel for what to expect in product. Repeated complaints about the same issue can also be enlightening.

I find that many reviewers have no ulterior motives, they're just clueless and don't pay attention. Like the guy I saw who complained that a Dyson vacuum had no onboard tool storage, except that it does. He just wasn't smart enough to figure out the clever way they engineered it.

Recently, I purchased an item on Amazon where a number of people complained of a toxic smell that caused them to return it. I really enjoyed the item and wrote a positive review and also pointed out that it says right on the box it comes in, "Please wash before first use" and it came out smelling like fresh laundry. (it didn't smell too bad to begin with) I mentioned in the review that a lot of bad reviews on Amazon are from people who don't read instructions or pay attention. It immediately became the top review for the product and it got quite a few, "people found this helpful" hits. :happy:

I just watched a YouTube video about Fake Reviews on Amazon.
My take away after watching the video is Amazon’s entire review system is broken, and the average consumer has no way of deciphering between a legitimate review left by a real human being after they actually purchased, and used the product versus a fake review left by an unscrupulous bad acting company that is paid to leave false & misleading reviews.
I have a feeling most of us already knew this, and this is not news.

However, at 10:18 in the video he describes a bait & switch tactic used by sellers that I witnessed when the viofo A119 Mini 2 was released.
On the very first day, (June 15, 2023) the Mini 2 was available for sale on Amazon it already had 237 reviews, (it currently has 248).
I started reading all the reviews, and they were reviews that were left for the original A119 Mini that was released one year ago.
It appears Viofo simply updated the original A119 Mini item listing with the Mini 2.
Basically when the consumer is shopping for the Mini 2, they will see it has 237 reviews.
But those 237 reviews were written for the original A119 Mini, not the Mini 2.
The Mini 2 is a completely different model.
This does not sit well with me, and feels like a false & misleading bait and switch tactic.
I would like to request @viofo make this right, and separate the two Amazon listings for the original A119 Mini, and the A119 Mini 2 to reflect the true reviews for each model.
Here is the listing for the A119 Mini 2; https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0C5MVB7NX
Sorry for the rant.
-Chuck

Your concern for our company is highly appreciated. Let me explain this to you. We combined the reviews of mini and mini2 just because the mini2 is the upgraded product from the mini. Except for the Starvis2 Sensor and voice commands, they are almost the same products. Therefore, the reviews for the mini can be used on mini2 to a certain degree. Besides, the models are also shown in the reviews so that buyers can distinguish them if they want. These are not fake reviews, but more meaningful information about buyers' experience provided for mini2 actually. Hope we have explained this clearly. :giggle:

We combined the reviews of mini and mini2 just because the mini2 is the upgraded product from the mini. Except for the Starvis2 Sensor and voice commands, they are almost the same products.
Incorrect.
A119 Mini & A119 Mini 2 are two different models.
Just like the A139 & A139 Pro are different models.
Just like the A129 & A129 Pro & A129 Plus are different models.
Just like the A119 V3 & A119 V2 are different models.
Etc.

I’m not saying your reviews are fake.
I’m saying the A119 Mini 2 only has 13 legitimate reviews.
The first 237 reviews are for the original A119 Mini.
This is false & misleading in the eyes of the average consumer.
I wish growth & success for your company, but not with unscrupulous business practices.
-Chuck

Screenshot 2023-07-20 8.29.53 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-20 8.31.40 PM.png

When the star rating comes from 200+ reviews of the A119 mini and 13 reviews of the a119 mini 2, the star rating is misleading.
Different versions of a product should have separate reviews and separate star ratings.
For example, quite often for hard disks all the various sizes available for a model of a hard drive have their reviews lumped together on Amazon. This make it hard to determine that the 5TB model is dog slow because it uses shingled recording, but the 2TB model is fast but has a high failure rate, and the 10TB model is fast and reliable.
But Amazon is notorious for bogus reviews. You find a sauce pan and the reviews are talking about how soft and warm it is.
It is really frustrating trying to find out if a product is worth buying only to discover the reviews are for a different version, or for a completely different product. Reviews are only useful if they are for the actual product being sold.

When the star rating comes from 200+ reviews of the A119 mini and 13 reviews of the a119 mini 2, the star rating is misleading.
Different versions of a product should have separate reviews and separate star ratings.
Thanks for stopping in, check's in the mail. lol
-Chuck

It sucks but it's so prevalent that most Amazon reviews and ratings are practically worthless - I certainly don't base purchasing decisions on them (In fact I've mostly tried to stop buying things from Amazon due to how horrible they've become as a company). At this point, any company not doing it would put them at an unfair disadvantage, so it's hard to get any traction unless it's a company so popular they don't need reviews.

That said, it will be interesting to see what effect this new law coming in to ban fake reviews will have, esp. if the penalties are severe enough!

Back