Fake Mini0801 internal views (red menus)

How do you put it into USB mode? I've never actually tried putting it to USB mode, I was thinking that proper cable is the only thing needed. :oops:

Depends on the hardware design (all are different), the original ones needed a special cable to go into boot mode, this is not standard Ambarella procedure though, usually it's a key combination when connecting to PC, whichever developer did that PCB design would know the detail, outside of that probably nobody knows, your seller may not even know it's a copy, it's very common

Reactions: beo
very unlikely to run, even minor hardware differences are enough to stop it working correctly and a quick look at your PCB pictures shows enough differences to be a problem, if it works ok then be happy with that, the original 0801 wasn't that great anyway, you could well have one that works better anyway

if you can extract your firmware then you could look at doing some work on that, that's likely to be more beneficial than using firmware off another model camera
I think it's not worth the time... if I had a second one I would make some expirements, but as I waited for this over a month to come, and finally works ok, (as long as works), I will leave it as it is... I am just like to mess with all these stuff, programming, tweaking, etc...

Are you involved somekind, of the developing, or producing the original minis' cameras?

at the bottom line , I really don't care so much to run other firmware even the original one, as mine is pretty functional and does what I want to do... But if I had a firmware of my type for backup, definitely I would try!
Well this is mine screenshot at night :) As you see this looks like screenshot made from 15$ crappy camera.

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 14
Ojocam owner
Thanks for the info... as you mentioned above, the seller probably didn't know anything about clones and originals... he gave me no info on supplier or ANY possibility to find a firmware for this... Copying without permission is really not a good thing..

Well this is mine screenshot at night :) As you see this looks like screenshot made from 15$ crappy camera.
wow!... it seems like a 300K camera!!... but this "noise" makes me think of a bad sensor.. (wrong threshold voltage, or bad solder?)...

BUT... the OSD is exactly the same with mine!

Even that I haven't experience on A2 I think that the bootloader sequence is not possible to bypass from serial, so maybe you connect to the wrong UART or you have inverted rx,tx pins?
I made cable using this forum instructions. Seen in two different threads.

I agree it's not worth the time, like I said if it's working fine leave it alone

I know the manufacturer of all the original 080x series cameras and have done some work with them but I don't do that product myself at all

notice in the eBay ad the screenshots they show are from another camera altogether, not a trustworthy seller that's for sure

I agree it's not worth the time, like I said if it's working fine leave it alone

I know the manufacturer of all the original 080x series cameras and have done some work with them but I don't do that product myself at all

notice in the eBay ad the screenshots they show are from another camera altogether, not a trustworthy seller that's for sure
You are right!... yes the photos and the charger are the first things I noticed and also told him and sent my cameras external photos... but he didn't want to say anything on these or he really didn't know nothing... Probably sometimes they just sell things... thank you very much for all this useful info anyway... when I buy my next camera I will definitely check the source!

best thing when you're in the market for a camera check the forum here for recommended sellers, if the seller is good you'll see plenty of mentions of that, too many bad ones out there unfortunately

@beo, if your camera is so crap... actually not work.. and cannot do more, I would check the PCB for bad soldering as it's really common and can cause the problem that you show..

@beo, if your camera is so crap... actually not work.. and cannot do more, I would check the PCB for bad soldering as it's really common and can cause the problem that you show..

the problem he has is likely CMOS related, not something you'd be fixing with a soldering iron unfortunately

the problem he has is likely CMOS related, not something you'd be fixing with a soldering iron unfortunately
Yeah probably a really bad fake. Well it was just a wasted time for me and another lessons learned.

Yeah probably a really bad fake. Well it was just a wasted time for me and another lessons learned.

I suspect it's just a dud unfortunately, this is always the risk when buying online out of China

maybe our favorite Estonian @niko needs to set something up for you guys when he's on one of his trips back home so you can have some sort of reliable supply channel you can trust

Reactions: beo
Just searched for and watched some videos of night recording of mini0801... wow ... I am surprised as mine seems to have the same performance indeed... I wonder is there anyway to find out the type of the sensor? (of course without desoldering it! :) )

found out that I have the same unit as yours while browsing for software updates. I bought mine last december when I was working in China.
I just got the no-gps/internal memory. issues that I experienced: lcd screen becomes white when recording.

As what others have said, better to use it as long as it is still working. :(

I just bought one off ebay which looks to be the fake shown in this thread. It has the same red menus and opening screen as others have shown. I was really disappointed as I had planned to but an 0805, but got distracted and bought the wrong one (this is not the first time I have done this). I took it out for a drive today and I'm generally satisfied.
I'm providing a screenshot from my drive today. I brought the card in and downloaded registrator viewer which works good with this camera. I'll give it a few weeks and decide if the 0805 would be worth the upgrade.
Please note that in this screenshot my window is filthy and the camera is looking through an area not covered by the wipers.
upload_2015-3-9_19-54-22.pngiiii

Back