Fender bender

Ja no that grey sedan was proving a point there is no way he could not have seen the SUV?????? Insurance claim here we come, the next thing he will be suing the SUV driver because he sustained whip lash injuries or some other injurie?????

Either way he has no claim, not only did he not yield when turning left, he also didn't turn into the left-most lane (this road has switchable lanes, the empty left lane was available for him)

Either way he has no claim, not only did he not yield when turning left, he also didn't turn into the left-most lane (this road has switchable lanes, the empty left lane was available for him)
if i were the gray car, i wouldn't have hit the SUV because i drive with my eyes open... but i would have turned into the same lane he/she did because of the double yellow lines. that makes it look like that's the centerline and thus i need to be to the right of it. if i'm not from the area, how would i know about switchable lanes? i doubt there's signage on the street they were coming from to warn you of switchable lanes on the road you're turning on to.

everywhere i've seen switchable lanes, there are lights above each lane to indicate whether you can use it, so there's no question. Big red X or the do not enter symbol when that lane is closed, or a green arrow or checkmark when it's open. i went back and i could see some white writing on a digital sign above YOUR traffic lights, as well as a white sign with WAY too much text for quick reading, but i don't see anything for the street the gray car came from.

Ja no that grey sedan was proving a point there is no way he could not have seen the SUV?????? Insurance claim here we come, the next thing he will be suing the SUV driver because he sustained whip lash injuries or some other injurie?????
Why would you think the grey sedan has grounds for a claim? He hit the SUV.

Why would you think the grey sedan has grounds for a claim? He hit the SUV.
one word. fraud. oh and one more: stupidity. but yeah - gray car totally at fault here since the video shows the SUV had a green light - it's not like the SUV turned right on red in front of the gray car.

@ThePro - did you share the video with the SUV driver?

I couldn't pull over because I was with some people who are better off not knowing I had a dashcam on but I did post it on the DC subreddit. Hopefully someone knows him.

in the pre-dashcam days i saw a a near-rollover accident right in front of me on the freeway. a ford expedition was sideswiped in the back corner by some idiot making fast lane changes (who never stopped). the hit threw the expedition into a slide, and when it snapped back around the other way, completely sideways (at about 70 mph!) i saw both left wheels leave the ground for what seemed like forever, but thank god it came back down. I and one other car stopped to be witnesses and make sure they were ok. thankfully the grandparent-type folks in the other car who stopped helped calm down the kids in the back of the expedition while i helped the driver change his blown tire (the slide pulled it off the rim) so he could get off the freeway. i gave him my card and said i would be a witness since the other guy ran. a few days later his insurance company called me and they were surprised when i said that the other guy ran.

if i see anything happen where my footage could help, i'd probably do the same thing again. in your case you could have told your passengers you were just going to give them your number as a witness, then when you do that you can briefly mention the camera or even just write down "i have a dashcam" by your number so your passengers won't have anything to hear in the first place.

so what's the issue with your passengers? are you driving into government facilities where cameras aren't allowed? naughty naughty! :p

I'd call it in to the police department too, while it looks so simple on video to decide who is at fault, it's a different story if the grey car a different story of what happened. It's been 4 months since my last accident and it still hasn't been through arbitration because the guy who hit me had a long fairy tale to tell his insurance carrier.

I'd call it in to the police department too, while it looks so simple on video to decide who is at fault, it's a different story if the grey car a different story of what happened. It's been 4 months since my last accident and it still hasn't been through arbitration because the guy who hit me had a long fairy tale to tell his insurance carrier.
they can make up whatever story they want and repeat it till they're blue in the face. doesn't make it any less false than the first time they said it. here's my first-hand experience with that:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/i-turned-he-didnt-boom-update.13018

in addition - this is why i have uninsured/underinsured motorist on my policy - so if someone hits me who doesn't have insurance (or if their insurance company is crooked/stupid/slow/whatever), i'm still covered. we had to use it when my wife was rear-ended by a high school kid who had State Farm insurance. State Farm was dragging their feet, claiming they needed a statement from their driver, but because he was a minor, it was somehow different and whatever... eventually my own insurance company (USAA) paid for our vehicle (it was totalled), and then went after State Farm to get their money back. I believe the term they used was "subrogation" - basically they sued state farm.

Last edited:
Some folks only carry liability, and some carry full coverage, but that doesn't mean they can or want to come up with their deductible. I haven't read that link yet, but my guess is you had video that was useful. The person you filmed mightn't, which is why I'd provide it to the police department. Sometimes things that are clear cut and dry end up not being.

All the gray car has to say is the other car came into their lane to their insurance company and they are going to go to bat for them - anything to not pay out. That's exactly what USAA is doing to me, they didn't even want to hear my recount of the incident after they were almost a month later finally able to get their insured to call them back to tell them his fairy tale. Their insured was cited on scene, didn't call my insurance company to tell them his story, yet he claimed I hit him and the cop only gave him a ticket simply for not liking him. His car had no damage, mine did. Now it goes through arbitration.

Would have been nice if the half a dozen cars that saw it happen pulled over, but they didn't.

Back