Few Things I've Observed While Using The 3 Mini 0801's I'm Using

Lunar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
3x Mini 0801 / Mio-368WDR+AGF
Just a few observations and small issues which I've experienced myself, having purchased 3 of these mini 0801 camera's.

Firstly, one must appreciate that lots of these dashcams are sold, and most people are reasonably happy with them, forums like this one will always be full of people having the odd problem, so forums can give the impression of being full of woes and moans about a product, when in reality the majority of users don't get any issues. (Something to bear in mind)

Okay then, this camera does give very good results, the daytime video is impressive and nightime clips are not too bad either. The other reason people buy this camera however is because it's one of the most discrete dashcams currently available.

All the issues I've personally had was with my first mini 0801, on delivery it had a faulty down button which did not work, though I found I could make it work sometimes if I applied some side pressure while pressing it. This I repaired myself by opening up the camera, the fault was simple to fix, as one side of the surface mount switch had not been soldered on one side of it. (I did realise this made the warranty void) but I did'nt fancy returning it to China. In fairness the seller did re-emberse a part refund, so I was quite satisfied with that.

The other issue I had with that first camera was much easier to fix. I am using this particular camera for home security, so it tends to run almost all the time 24/7 (Yes I realise it may not last long...lol) anyway after a few days use I noticed when I powered it up that it would stop recording after just a few seconds, I tried another card, with the same results, I then tried a different power supply and cable.. and 'Bingo' it then began working as it should with no stopping. It worked okay for about 2 days, and it did it again.

So I reverted back to the original power supply I had been using, which was already clipped in place, and I gave the contacts on both the plug and usb socket a good blast of isopropyl, I then squeezed in one side of the mini usb plug slightly so it was a much firmer fit when inserted in the socket, and it's continued to work great ever since. So something worth bearing in mind as the usb sockets used are not that brilliant IMO. Most likely due to camera drawing more current at power on, as it would record okay afterwards if I pressed the OK button.

My second camera is identical to the first, both have GPS but no 8GB built-in with both running on 20130913 firmware, this one has been in the front of my car for about 3 weeks or more, and has had no hicups at all, it's worked perfectly.

My third and most recent 0801 also has the GPS but has the 8GB too, this one has the 20130922 firmware, which according to E-Prance is the latest for these camera's, and I'm pleased to state that this one too is working 100% okay too, and like camera 2 this one has no bad pixels on the ccd either, my 1st one does have several, but are not noticable in normal use, unless it's plain white background, so no real concern.

I'm now going to talk a little about microSD cards types as this is often discussed.
In the camera's manual it does state to avoid using class 10 cards saying they are too fast..lol, now I don't know how much you know about microSD or SD cards in general, but it's worth knowing that all cards with a speed rating less than 10 all use what is known as the standard bus speed. However class 10 cards or UHS-1 use a faster bus speed, with UHS-2 standard using even faster bus speeds.

So what does this all mean, well in theory all the faster cards should be backwards compatable so should work... well yes they should, but in practice some devices not specifically designed to handle the faster bus cards can and do occasionally have issues, hence the reason why some manufacturer's advise not to use class 10 cards.

However I have tried 3 or 4 class 10 cards and they all seemed to work okay, though I only tested them for a few hours. In theory a class 4 card is plenty fast enough, all my camera's appear to write video's out with a bitrate of approx 17000kbps, which is equal to writing to the card at 2.1MBps, so in view of the fact that most good class 4 cards can write continously at approx 5MBps and possibly much more with some really good cards, means a class 4 is alright to use ? well again in theory yes, I ran tests for days with a couple of class 4 Samsung cards and they worked great.

My advice would be to use your class 4 cards if you already have some good quality class 4 cards, but if you need to purchase some new cards say from Amazon, and I mention Amazon because there are a lot of fakes and poor cards out there, especially on Ebay, I've not had a bad card from Amazon as yet. So when looking for new cards for your camera I would suggest you buy class 6 cards.

Speed tests with Samsung class 6 cards have produced some remarkable good results, but why choose class 6 when class 4 seems okay.. I hear you ask..lol.. Well.. though a class 4 seems to have a good 50% write speed headroom with these camera's, this will fall dramatically when the card is almost full and the camera starts to loop, (re-cycle) this is when it continually needs to delete it's oldest files to free up space for new recordings. This means while it's deleting it cannot record, so it's internal buffer fills and you may see a error msg. With a good quality class 4 this likely will not occur and you will be fine using them.

However, I do think it would be prudent if you need to order any new cards to opt for class 6 cards, which will give much more write speed headroom, more for assurance really, but in view of the fact prices are not much different then IMHO class 6 cards are the way to go when buying. They are noticably much faster, and importantly they still maintain maximum compatability.

My GPS + 8GB does not have any included software, but I believe they will supply a link where you can download it if you ask your seller. Personally, I've never used the supplied software that came with the first 2 camera's, as I use and recommend 'REGISTRATOR.EXE' which is freely available online, and works extremely well, just make sure you get the latest 5.3 version or later, or your GPS logs won't be recognized.

There is a Mini 0801 FAQ here http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/

Last edited:
BTW, something I observed on the GPS + 8GB internal memory model camera, you will notice that even when you have a external card plugged in, when you go into PC USB mode it only shows the internal 8GB memory, it doesn't show the external card, so you need to remove the card to access or copy any video files to your PC. It appears to do this even if you have selected the external card in the settings, so obviously a bug to be fixed in future firmware releases. (we can but hope..lol)
Just to add my own experience with mine (which is one with GPS + internal 8GB), when I connect the cam to my PC with a USB cable, my PC does pop up both windows for the internal 8Gb memory and my external microSD card. My original firmware was 20130903, it is now running 20130924. Both versions show both internal and external memory on my PC.

Just to add my own experience with mine (which is one with GPS + internal 8GB), when I connect the cam to my PC with a USB cable, my PC does pop up both windows for the internal 8Gb memory and my external microSD card. My original firmware was 20130903, it is now running 20130924. Both versions show both internal and external memory on my PC.

Big thanks efoo, on reading your post I double checked it again, and you are absolutely correct, :) mine is also showing both of them now... very strange, I must have missed it before, but yes your'e right it puts it up as 2 drives which is what I would have expected, duno why I didn't see it before...lol must get my specs changed. Thanks for that matey, I'll delete that bit from my 1st post as it's no longer true...lol

I have a lot of drives in my PC, 2 SSD drives setup as raid 0, 2 large data drives, all partitioned into 5 drives, plus 2 standard cd writers and 1 Bluray burner, then I have a internal card reader which puts up a few drives too, so thats probably why I missed it when I last plugged in the usb to PC cable. very wierd, I'm getting more stupid as i get older..lol

Anyway matey I'm certainly glad you made that post above... thank you very much, it might have been ages before I noticed it, I've only had this 8GB/GPS version a couple of days, and had resigned myself to having to pull the card out to access the video clips..lol Nice one!

Last edited:
Should have gone to Specsavers.
Hehe, just kidding. To be honest I have also missed one of the drives initially when I first connected the cam to my PC because Windows lays both pop-up windows one after the other, so easy to miss one of them.

Seems I didn't need Specsavers after all..hehe I had it happen again, only one drive showing on the camera, instead of the 2, but this time I realised what may be causing it, IOW why I wasn't always seeing both drives on the PC ie. the internal 8GB and the external card.

As always.. it was something extremely simple. The reason it was only showing one drive was because the PC could'nt allocate any drive letters...lol I'm very much an old DOS user, and have my PC setup to duel boot either Linux or Windows, and because I still use dos occasionally, usually when writing some assember code, or playing around with some daft project, I will run stuff from the dos command line. ( I mean true DOS not a command line from Windows) Anyway.. I still had one command in my autoexec.bat file from the old days namely 'LASTDRIVE= X (where X is the last drive letter)' and it was set too low, it's an old dos command that is still supported but rarely used, which allows the user to only allocate space for the drive letters he might use, instead of allocating the lot.

So, if I had a pen-drive plugged in, or I was maybe charging something from the USB, that would in effect pinch one of the drive letters, as a result, when my camera was plugged in which should in effect show to 2 drives there simply wasn't enough letters so it couldn't allocate a letter to it... I'm sure many of the old MSdos or DRdos users will know what I'm talking about. All I needed to do was delete that one line from the autoexec.bat, as it's not needed these days.. simples...lol

Last edited:
Haha, there are 26 alphabets in English language, how did you manage to have 26 drives connected or installed in your computer?

A lot of educational and useful info said which help others.

The only thing I would say that night video is rather fair, but not good in our modern dashcam world. Its no match to nt96550+ar0330 based cheap dadhcams like 52usd G1W or vf300w as my side by side tests show

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...st-mini-0801-vs-dod-ls300w-vs-panorama2.2866/

Of course mini-size is big advantage of this dash cam and it does good job for A2 CPU + OV2710 ( techologically you can not squeez out much more within this price range ). I guess we always need to chose to sacrifice of video quality to size.
Best solutuon I would see for furthure development of this 0801 is if manufacturer would implement nt96650 + ar0330 solution. Otherwise 0801 in this hardware form as its now will soon die due to many others mini size dash cams coming out "day by day".

Nice job on great overview.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know one factory has done an NT96650 + AR0330 version, not sure how close to being ready to ship it is, while this solution offers good video it is very limited in what else it can do so you give a little to get a little I guess

I know one factory has done an NT96650 + AR0330 version, not sure how close to being ready to ship it is, while this solution offers good video it is very limited in what else it can do so you give a little to get a little I guess

That model slipped from my sight somewhere on taobao or tmall, dont remember exact place, but it shows that we see a progress, which is a good sign. I really like tiny size of 0801, can be used front and rear.
Ok, lets wait and see when new hardware based 0801 will be available.

I think the A7 version (if done correctly) has the potential to make the 96650 version not even worth a look, yes the 96650 version would undoubtedly be cheaper, but it would also be very basic, it would still suit some people though no doubt but may be less of an enthusiast type product, may turn out a better option that the plethora of 96650 + AR0330 cameras we have now due to better form factor than some of what we see now

Haha, there are 26 alphabets in English language, how did you manage to have 26 drives connected or installed in your computer?

If the. Dos command LastDrive=D. Then any drive after drive D will not show. It sounds like you have only ever used Windows on your PCs. LastDrive command is not used these days. But was used In Dos to conserve environmental memory. Don't worry, if you have never used Dos You likely wouldn't understand..lol

Last edited:
I have used DOS, but it was long time ago, like 15 years ago or more. I guess since you have discovered the LastDrive command is the culprit, so you can just change it to Z as your last drive, or maybe get rid of that command line.

I have used DOS, but it was long time ago, like 15 years ago or more. I guess since you have discovered the LastDrive command is the culprit, so you can just change it to Z as your last drive, or maybe get rid of that command line.

Yes.. I just removed it. Now all good.

I'm one of the sad old farts that still use Dos occasionally...lol

Last edited:

how did you upgrade the firmware? I have been following the steps of putting the bin file in the root of the SD card but it doesn't seem to ask me to upgrade after I reboot the camera.

Thanks Jokiin. I think I was using the right version I have the GPS version and I ordered it from alliexpress so I was trying to use the givoe file.

Mini 0801 Ambarella Black Box Car DVR With A2S60 + OV2710 + Full HD 30FPS + Optional GPS/8GB for Backup + Free Shipping

is what I bought and I was trying to use the following firmware. 0801 With GPS And Internal-8GB: http://www.givoe.com/upload/file/soft/fw/Firmware-0801-244-2212-GPS-8GB-20130924.zip or here.

I'll have to plug in the cam using the USB cable and see if the 8GB drive is there I guess it is possible that it was the GPS without 8GB internal...

if it has the 8gb then you'd be able to take your memory card out and still use the camera to record
Wow I was overthinking that. When I had the card out and turned it on I got an error stating no card installed. I am guessing I have the GPS model without 8GB. I'll grab the right version and download it and try again in a few days. Thanks for all you help jokiin

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Mini 0801 12
Back