Finally got my Maxi, but it's really grainy in low lights....

Now the interesting bit:

Gitup F1
GitUpF1.jpg

Mobius Maxi:
MobiusMaxi.jpg

Mobius One:
MobiusOne.jpg

@dirkzelf, your Maxi seems as if it "might" benefit from a refocusing.....maybe. Then again, there's only so much you can do with the Maxi as far as IQ is concerned. I've pretty much given up on the thing. This notion that at this point in the development of this type of minature camera technology that lack of visual acuity and seriously bad image grain from over-cranking the AGC purportedly for the purpose of better motion blur capture is somehow a "plus" or a "feature" is nothing more than a rationalization in my book.

Maybe there's some hope for Maxi yet with the forthcoming new firmware, but all in all, I'm not too optimistic. The last Maxi firmware update was six months ago and after waiting so long for that one, at the end of the day it included zero IQ improvements. The overall experience with the Maxi is eerily similar to the M2 debacle. You would think a company like Mobius would have learned their lesson from that one. Sadly, Mobius as a company is like the Walking Dead at this point.

It's a shame because the Maxi seemed to have so much potential.

@dirkzelf, your Maxi seems as if it "might" benefit from a refocusing.....maybe. Then again, there's only so much you can do with the Maxi as far as IQ is concerned. I've pretty much given up on the thing. This notion that at this point in the development of this type of minature camera technology that lack of visual acuity and seriously bad image grain from over-cranking the AGC purportedly for the purpose of better motion blur capture is somehow a "plus" or a "feature" is nothing more than a rationalization in my book.

Maybe there's some hope for Maxi yet with the forthcoming new firmware, but all in all, I'm not too optimistic. The last Maxi firmware update was six months ago and after waiting so long for that one, at the end of the day it included zero IQ improvements. The overall experience with the Maxi is eerily similar to the M2 debacle. You would think a company like Mobius would have learned their lesson from that one. Sadly, Mobius as a company is like the Walking Dead at this point.

It's a shame because the Maxi seemed to have so much potential.

Recognize. I tried the F1.2 on the F1, but as you may have seen it doesn't help me at all. Needs more MP, which is why I bought me some higher MP-lenses lately. I still might try the F1.2 on the Maxi, but.... from F1.5 to F1.2 doesn't seem to have a radical result to me.

12MP:

6MP:

The M2 effect is the exact reason why I actually bought me the F1, but that one yet needs to proof itself, and I'm not very hopefull....

You see, I'm experiencing serious problems with out of sync audio, and very irradical recording while driving. I am using a 512GB Kodak Micro SDXC card (U3), and I suspect the card to be an issue, I'm not sure but I'm going to try another type card. Any tips on that matter? I'm not getting much feedback / help from GitUp. And there's another thing, I figured to get much more support from this company which I thought to have much more "body", but I guess I was wrong about that.. too....

Why 512GB? 4K, that's why..... and as a driving recorder I can't risk loosing the beginning of the day towards the end of the day....

I could use some real good help / tips guys. I don't want to feel bad about my purchases.... I wish I had an A119S in a Mobius housing.... Boy this thing is LARGE.... maybe I can get it out his housing into something smaller... hmm..... new project coming up??? :cautious:

@dirkzelf, I really admire the way you keep experimenting with new lenses and how you continue to carry the torch in a quest for a decent matchbox style camera. We had all hoped that Mobius, who literally created the product category would have given us the updated matchbox style camera we've all craved for so long but it appears they have lost their way and it is unlikely to ever happen. You are absolutely right about the idea of an A119S in a Mobius housing. (or even better an A119 V3 in a Mobius housing). It could have been so simple to stick with a DSP firmware platform they already knew and had put so much work into. But K.I.S.S. is not Mobius' forte I'm afraid.

I remember a conversation I had with @TonyM when he was initially testing the F1 at a time when I was very interested in purchasing one and I said something about how I thought it was an impressive camera for shooting general videos but somehow it just didn't seem to make for such a great dash cam and he basically agreed as I recall.

Yup, nothing to get excited about. At 1080/30, it's usable.

"Usable", another remarkably lackluster word of endorsement. Sad, but true. :cry:

After more than six years since its introduction I'm often amazed at how impressive the original Mobius 1 is, still.

Even in low lighting conditions, where as we all know, it shows its age as a platform it often performs better than expected.

At my latitude this time of year, at 4:17 PM, 8 days before the winter solstice and particularly on an overcast day, it is essentially nightfall as twilight is fading and by 4:30 PM it will be nearly pitch black out.

Yet, this is what I found in my footage from that afternoon during the last few minutes of daylight.

mobius_Rear_lowlight.jpg

Last edited:
@dirkzelf, I really admire the way you keep experimenting with new lenses and how you continue to carry the torch in a quest for a decent matchbox style camera. We had all hoped that Mobius, who literally created the product category would have given us the updated matchbox style camera we've all craved for so long but it appears they have lost their way and it is unlikely to ever happen. You are absolutely right about the idea of an A119S in a Mobius housing. (or even better an A119 V3 in a Mobius housing). It could have been so simple to stick with a DSP firmware platform they already knew and had put so much work into. But K.I.S.S. is not Mobius' forte I'm afraid.

I remember a conversation I had with @TonyM when he was initially testing the F1 at a time when I was very interested in purchasing one and I said something about how I thought it was an impressive camera for shooting general videos but somehow it just didn't seem to make for such a great dash cam and he basically agreed as I recall.
"Usable", another remarkably lackluster word of endorsement. Sad, but true. :cry:

After more than six years since its introduction I'm often amazed at how impressive the original Mobius 1 is, still.

Even in low lighting conditions, where as we all know, it shows its age as a platform it often performs better than expected.

At my latitude this time of year, at 4:17 PM, 8 days before the winter solstice and particularly on an overcast day, it is essentially nightfall as twilight is fading and by 4:30 PM it will be nearly pitch black out.

Yet, this is what I found in my footage from that afternoon during the last few minutes of daylight.

View attachment 50045

I recall some of us predicting these kind of "developments" even before the M2 was out, then we did have the Joovuu X that was promising, unfortunately that was going into the shambles, and where are they now? We can still buy them, but who cares? I guess the real contact between manufacturer/distributor and endusers or at least groups of users will keep these companies alive, and if they don't care why should we?

I really feel betrayed more and more, because I almost always get avoiding answers or no answers at all from many of them, many times even claiming it's my own "fault", or they are still "improving" the product .... it almost never really is true.

But now my A119 does a great job, every time, all the time, so..... it IS POSSIBLE! It's kinda like the 2018 Mobius of dashcams. Question is, how long will they keep up? Is the A129 really that much better? Do we need all the extra stuff and functions/features?

Maybe we just got spoiled... unfortunately HUMANS always wanting MORE, LESS, BETTER, BIGGER, SMALLER. It's never enough for us, that's why humanity always get in trouble, we're never satisfied..... always thinking others have better stuff, and we want that too, and if we can't buy it we go to "war" to get it.

I suggest peace (.... of mind mostly.... ).

25cbcc04d23e211dc08d3604f42f6078.jpg

WE ALL KNEW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, SO DON'T LOOK SO SURPRISED..... :ROFLMAO:

IMG_20191231_201339250.jpg

With a little imagination it coold look like a tank.....

Now I was sceptical as you know, when I see this Maxi-recording with the F1.2 lens I'm a much hapier Dicky.

Why, well, check this comparison of the same time/date, same driving route with Viofo A119S weith F1.2 lens. I'm not even posting the clip from the same ride with the Gitup F1 (4K!!) camera.... that's just sad.

I think a compliment to the Mobius Maxi (and to the lens...) is in order...!

Last edited:
The testbench:

IMG_20200101_214116907.jpg

When we got back in our home town, police pulled us over, needed a breath test from the driver, and yours truly passed the test of course, since I need my license for work, so NO alco for me when driving.

When spotting my "christmas tree" above (it was night, and there was a significant flickering of LEDS...), there actually was a frown upon..... nevertheless, the officers let me through without further investigation, not that they needed to.....

The testbench:

View attachment 50053

When we got back in our home town, police pulled us over, needed a breath test from the driver, and yours truly passed the test of course, since I need my license for work, so NO alco for me when driving.

When spotting my "christmas tree" above (it was night, and there was a significant flickering of LEDS...), there actually was a frown upon..... nevertheless, the officers let me through without further investigation, not that they needed to.....

Looks like some kind of weird weapon system! Surprised the cops didn't drag you out of the car and make you put your hands on the vehicle with your legs spread!! :smuggrin:

Looks like some kind of weird weapon system! Surprised the cops didn't drag you out of the car and make you put your hands on the vehicle with your legs spread!! :smuggrin:

I know right? Police are my friends now.... :rolleyes:

Now I was sceptical as you know, when I see this Maxi-recording with the F1.2 lens I'm a much hapier Dicky.

I think a compliment to the Mobius Maxi (and to the lens...) is in order...!
The Maxi is looking OK with the F1.2 lens, although at 4mm the FOV is a bit narrow for a dashcam.

sorry guys, but I simply can't get passed this:

Viofo A119S vs Mobius Maxi, bothe 1080p/60
I'm not surprised by your results.
A119S drops frames at night to maintain exposure, Maxi sticks to 60fps
A119S has a STARVIS sensor, Maxi does not

I'm not surprised by your results.
A119S drops frames at night to maintain exposure, Maxi sticks to 60fps

Are you sure? Viofo file info says consequently 60fps, at night....

I could use some real good help / tips guys. I don't want to feel bad about my purchases....
I found that the F1 gives excellent results in good light. In low light and at night it can't keep up with a decent dashcam.
The Maxi is grainy in low light. Forthcoming FW might see improvements.

I wish I had an A119S in a Mobius housing.... Boy this thing is LARGE.... maybe I can get it out his housing into something smaller... hmm..... new project coming up???
I agree than an A119S is a Mobius housing would be a neat idea. It's possible to put an IMX291 into a Maxi (@dirkzelf - don't try this at home!!!) but it probably needs a Novatek DSP and FW to get the best out of it.

One option for an IMX291 in a small housing is to use an A129 rear camera, or the one from the SG DC Pro. That's no good if you have no use for the front camera with screen & buttons.

Testing the Maxi with a 12mp lens, 5mm and F2.0 aperture.

Mobius Maxi 1080p/60 (12mp lens, 5mm)
20200105_214035.MP4_20200106_122850.286.jpg

Mobius Maxi 2.7k/30 (12mp lens, 5mm)
20200105_215636.MP4_20200106_122959.536.jpg

Anoying flashes from the dashboard taking the whole picture down, but you get the point.

12mp lens on the F1 now, it was screwed half way in the Mobius, but it barely fits the F1's barrel, the thread is too short actually.

Tonight we'll see what that brings too the F1....

Are you sure? Viofo file info says consequently 60fps, at night....
The video is 60fps, but you will notice some duplicate frames

Back