Firmware feature requests?

SndChsr

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Are firmware requests for the 0906 typically ignored or is Meg-Tech receptive to them? It would be great if locked files could be moved into a separate folder. Right now, there is no way to know which file was locked and one has to sift through all of them to find the clip that was saved. In fact, I think splitting Front and Rear footage into separate folders is kind of redundant since the files have an A and B prefix. Why not use the separate folder to store saved files?

Hi [U]SndChsr[/U], for most players, they will not scan the other peer father folders to generate play list, that is why we leave the protected files in the same folder so the players can list and playback all the videos continuously.

you may show the files in broswer in "details" mode, and active "Attributes" tab. If there is videos marked RA properties it is protected.
refer the image below:
1521453419839.png

Hi [U]SndChsr[/U], for most players, they will not scan the other peer father folders to generate play list, that is why we leave the protected files in the same folder so the players can list and playback all the videos continuously.

you may show the files in broswer in "details" mode, and active "Attributes" tab. If there is videos marked RA properties it is protected.
refer the image below:
View attachment 37068
Thanks Rayman!! It never occurred to me to look at the attributes! This actually makes things much easier. I appreciate your help!

Best regards.

Hey @Rayman.Chan, I have a suggestion. Any chance you can fix the error notifications when the SD card fails. Right now it only flashes a "card full" warning then disappears. It's really hard for someone to know that their camera is not recording until it's too late. Right now I have the Aukey DR02D and the Mini 0906 recommended but if the 0906 has great error notifications it's a winner for me. Aukey doesn't have any firmware updates so I figured your company would be more responsive.

Video of what I'm talking about (linked to the section where I talk about the error notifications - 5:40):

----

refer the image below:

Awesome, I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing.

Right now it only flashes a "card full" warning then disappears. It's really hard for someone to know that their camera is not recording until it's too late.

Hi Andrew, with days recording and sos protecting, the 0906 still recording without issue; so i have to use many ZIP file to feed the microSD card, finally i got the "card full" notice when there is only 200MB left in the microSD card. I am convinced it is very hard to find this situation unless you are trying to use a used&full card in the camera.

anyway, we will fabricate some warning windows and voices for the next update.
Thanks.

Hi Andrew, with days recording and sos protecting, the 0906 still recording without issue; so i have to use many ZIP file to feed the microSD card, finally i got the "card full" notice when there is only 200MB left in the microSD card. I am convinced it is very hard to find this situation unless you are trying to use a used&full card in the camera.

Hey Rayman, the video I posted is not of a card that is completely full. Instead the card has failed (broken card) and the controller has switched it to read-only mode. The Mini 0906 is displaying an alert that the card is full incorrectly. If you were to look at the card the vast majority of the memory is free to be written to.

It's empty but not free to use if it has gone read only, could reword the error message to card error maybe rather than card full, from the cameras perspective if the card is full or write protected it's still the same end result

I want a "switch to timelapse mode when no motion is detected for 5 minutes" feature.

I want a "switch to timelapse mode when no motion is detected for 5 minutes" feature.

That is similar with "auto switch lapse" just it switch to time lapse after motion detected, no 5 minutes delay.
The defect is there will be 2 seconds switching time gap, which can't be solved for now.

Hi, my very first post here. Been using mini0906 for abt 8 mths. First 7 mths, i’ve been using cigarette port to power the cam only when engine is running.

Decided to do a bit of hardwiring, gotten the hardwire kit (estore009) and started working on it since yesterday, together with the latest Jan2018 firmware.

My main concern, i think this was mentioned in the other post, is that from parking mode, the cam will power off during engine start up. It will be turned on again after appx 30 secs of driving for my case. I am driving a new car (10 mths old), idle battery reads 12.53 or so volts.

Also mentioned in the other post, this could be due to a drop of voltage while cranking the engine and that it could fall below the set limit (i set at 12.2V) on the hardwire kit.

It would be great if this can overcome with some firmware trick. Is it possible? How do ppl here handle this situation? Pls advise? Thanks!

Changed my dipswitch setting to 12.0V. Still the same symptom. Dashcam in parking mode will shutdown when engine is started and after few seconds, dashcam will usually power up by itself. Parking mode was still recording before engine on, so cam shutdown was not due to voltage draining n dropping to below 12V during parking.

At times, it will not power up. I will have to plug out and in the USB power or push the power button.

If engine is switched off only for appx 2 hours and car is restarted, dashcam shutdown usually does not happen. Shutdown always happen after more than 6 hours of non-active engine (overnight parking) during engine on.

Has anyone a work around to share? Would work be made in the next firmware address this?

Last edited:
this is nothing camera can do.
when the engine cranking, the battery voltage may drop much lower than set value for seconds so the power supply to camera is cut off.
we can try to add cut off delay in hardwire kit, but that may not solve this problem thoroughly.

another method is use the parking guard charging kit we will release soon, which does not take power from car battery directly.

this is nothing camera can do.
when the engine cranking, the battery voltage may drop much lower than set value for seconds so the power supply to camera is cut off.
we can try to add cut off delay in hardwire kit, but that may not solve this problem thoroughly.

another method is use the parking guard charging kit we will release soon, which does not take power from car battery directly.

In that case your design is flawed. I tap my dashcam directly into my review mirror which is powered. The power comes on when the car's power is switched on. The dashcam should have some sort of small battery to keep various user settings or tiem.

I don't use parking guard or any hard wiring kits where the camera is runinng off a shared fuse. It is tapped directly into the rear view mirror which has power that comes on when the ignition is switched on.

Hi,

just wondering if there is a possibility to implement a limit of video segments kept on the card?
For, example, just keep the last (unlimited, 2, 3, 5 or 10) videos, "older" ones would be deleted no matter how much free space is left on the card. Like a true "loop recorder".
The reason for this is some overzealous "data privacy" laws in some countries like Germany where a private recording in public without a particular reason is essentially illegal.
Such a feature would make the dashcam a bit more compatible with such privacy laws, since in case of the accident the card would only contain the video which is directly related to it (like last 3 minutes before event and couple of minutes after).

I guess, it should be fairly simple to implement.

Thanks.

Hi,

just wondering if there is a possibility to implement a limit of video segments kept on the card?
For, example, just keep the last (unlimited, 2, 3, 5 or 10) videos, "older" ones would be deleted no matter how much free space is left on the card. Like a true "loop recorder".
The reason for this is some overzealous "data privacy" laws in some countries like Germany where a private recording in public without a particular reason is essentially illegal.
Such a feature would make the dashcam a bit more compatible with such privacy laws, since in case of the accident the card would only contain the video which is directly related to it (like last 3 minutes before event and couple of minutes after).

I guess, it should be fairly simple to implement.

Thanks.

You can do this yourself without needing it as an option on the camera.
Just use a small capacity memory card such as 8, 16, or 32GB.
An 8GB card in the 0906 would hold around 25mins (maybe a little less)

You can do this yourself without needing it as an option on the camera.
Just use a small capacity memory card such as 8, 16, or 32GB.
An 8GB card in the 0906 would hold around 25mins (maybe a little less)

You are right, this could be a sort of "life hack" if I could find a card with 2Gb or so (3-5 minutes would be ideal).

But then the SD Card wear-leveling won't be able to do much and I suspect the cards will fail quite often.
I am not sure it could be worked around by artificially limiting the partition size, since "unpartitioned" space is not necessary unused and correctly implemented wear level controller should not make any assumptions regarding its contents.

Another drawback: it would be impossible to "lock" more than one "event". For example, if somebody does something stupid (event 1) and then returns 3 minutes later with an intent to "teach proper manners" (no space left for event 2).

Hope @Rayman.Chan will be able come up with any ideas, I would hate having to buy some inferrior dashcam only because it supports those lame data protection requirements.

You are right, this could be a sort of "life hack" if I could find a card with 2Gb or so (3-5 minutes would be ideal).

But then the SD Card wear-leveling won't be able to do much and I suspect the cards will fail quite often.
I am not sure it could be worked around by artificially limiting the partition size, since "unpartitioned" space is not necessary unused and correctly implemented wear level controller should not make any assumptions regarding its contents.

Another drawback: it would be impossible to "lock" more than one "event". For example, if somebody does something stupid (event 1) and then returns 3 minutes later with an intent to "teach proper manners" (no space left for event 2).

Hope @Rayman.Chan will be able come up with any ideas, I would hate having to buy some inferrior dashcam only because it supports those lame data protection requirements.
With the 0906 and a few others I've seen it listed in the specs that a small portion of the storage is reserved for locked files (and to prevent maxing out the card unnecessarily I presume).

There may be a limit has to how small a card you could use and getting good quality high speed small capacity cards can be difficult as their isn't really much demand for them.

You could create a small partition but formatting in the camera would revert to the full capacity (in the 0906 at least I know)

It's an interesting proposition but not sure how great the demand for such a feature will be.

It's an interesting proposition but not sure how great the demand for such a feature will be.

Well, in such countries like Germany it could be a necessity. Up until very recently, private dashcams were essentially useless there if not even "risky" to operate. In case of an accident and following lawsuit courts had no settled opinion if such evidence is even acceptable. And you could easily end up with a fine for privacy law violation.
Recently there was a decision by a high court, that dashcam evidence is legit. But the privacy laws still apply, "wholesale" recording is still forbidden except directly related to the accident.

So, the dashcam market in Germany should slowly start to pick up.

Back