Firmware?

BDrums1971

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, I finally got my SG9665SX up and running. I was wondering if there are any firmware updates available. I see in the other threads that there are beta updates, but I can't find an official one on the Street Guardian website. Let me know how I can get the beta updates if an official one is not available.

Also, when I plug my cam into my desktop, windows 7 says hardware cannot be installed at this time. Anyone else have problems hooking up this cam to your computer? I guess I'll just use the sd card in my card reader and I shouldn't really need to hook the cam to my computer, right?

Thanks in advance for you help!
Brian

Devs are working on a firmware update now. Beta and or release firmware will be made available once ready.

Don’t hook up to the computer. Use the included microSD Card reader in the box.

Anyone else have problems hooking up this cam to your computer?
i think it may damage the cam if you do this too often, i know a couple of people have fried the SG9665GC by doing this i think.

V1 or V2?

V1.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I get so busy and haven't had time to check back here til now. I assume the firmware update will be available on the SG website? Been using the micro SD adapter with a card reader, so that's all good. I just wasn't sure if I would need to directly hook the cam up to my computer for the firmware update, but I am assuming I can just put the firmware on the SD card, and the cam will read that?

I really like the camera overall. It's very simple to use and has good quality video, except for green lights being bluish. I am going to buy two more of these as Christmas gifts for my family. I really appreciate being able to contact SG representatives directly here through the dashcamtalk web forum.

Thanks,
Brian

Yes just put the firmware on the empty card, and put it in the camera and then turn on your car so the camera start.

My flaky memory seem to recall something about a firmware upgrade to the V1 XS soon.

You might want to look into the V2 XS cameras for those presents, it will have even more capable hardware inside, but otherwise the same simple package.

I think so.
I know its a test firmware i run on my V1 XS so there should be something to move forward.

I think so.
I know its a test firmware i run on my V1 XS so there should be something to move forward.
I hope so. I was under the impression that the V1 was completely abandoned in favour of the V2.

No the V1 have been succeeded by the V2, and rightfully so as part of hardware and prices evolving, but i dont think @jokiin would like to use the word abandoned about any of the products that have gone live.

I think i recall him saying that if there can be done anything good with a upgrade to a older product it is worth the effort, so really only long term progress in hardware will eventually mean a SG product will stop seeing updates.

No the V1 have been succeeded by the V2, and rightfully so as part of hardware and prices evolving, but i dont think @jokiin would like to use the word abandoned about any of the products that have gone live.

I think i recall him saying that if there can be done anything good with a upgrade to a older product it is worth the effort, so really only long term progress in hardware will eventually mean a SG product will stop seeing updates.
I read somewhere (I looked in the obvious threads in this section but couldn't find it) that there's only so much they could do with the hardware of the V1, hence the V2 with a more "workable" sensor, and they'll probably leave it like it is now.

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the shorter vertical FOV, the picture's curved bottom, the clicking noise in the audio (yup, it's still there, despite the decrease in the audio volume with the last update I got, and it's still very noticeable in slow motion clips) or the capacitor, but damn, it's a good camera, it can be much better than my AT11DA with the tweaks it needs, but it's been sitting inside the box for a lot of months now because the picture quality at the moment is inferior to the AT11DA's. I don't believe they can't make it better than it currently is but if they did, I could learn to live with all the "flaws" for the sake of having better picture quality.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, whatever happened with this? I have a v2, but I don't see anything at all for the XS under https://streetguardian.info/support

For me, one major flaw in the design is that there is no dedicated button to initialize a manual event/record. I finally found it in the manual that if you hit the down arrow button it will perform that function--but only if it's already been woken up and is showing the screen. One small firmware change that would be nice is to eliminate that first step of waking it up. Let me just hit the down arrow button once on the lower right hand corner to trigger manual event recording.

I think most come down to the big guy ( jokiin ) have been somewhat out of order for a while.
But i think he is on the up now, so i expect to hear the sound of burning rubber soon as he hit the ground running.
Also with the expansion of models and brands maybe taking in help have been a little slow due to the health problems mentioned above.

We will see even the best can fail some times, the base mentality of SG i still think are in top gear.

I know i would have folded long ago, i dont do well under stress, at least not when it is work related.

I wasn't aware of health issues, but I hope that gets resolved quickly and positively. It seems like SG is a small enough company that his absence may have a massive impact.

engineers haven't had time to get the firmware done as we've had bigger issues that they've been working on, it is still on the roadmap and will post back once it's sorted, most likely won't be until after the Chinese New Year break though

Yeah priorities also a must do, and its not like the XS camera/s are garbage as is, so if something need it more i fully support diverting efforts towards that.

I even think when a SG product get to its EOL or EOS ( End of Life / Support ) then SG would also say it in here, after all, all good things come to a end one day, and there is no shame in that.

Back