First dash cam; so far so good but tips and pointers welcome

FYI:

Confirmed working on iOS 11 Beta too. (recently updated my iPhone 7 plus to pre-release iOS)

Good news,
Yesterday's iUSB Pro app update added the missing audio codec. (for NT96650/NT96655 dashcams) I just verified audio can now be heard with direct playback via iUSB Pro iOS App
(no need to transfer the file locally first to get audio)
9axQpczl.png

&
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01LR4HJHO
hS6W41tm.png

If it uses iUSB as the app (nearly all of them do) should work

Also this one should work with the app you've mentioned, right? - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB...er-Writer-cable-For-iPhone-5/32816101894.html

This one seems to be the same one I have. It was originally branded as "Memory Doctor", then it came out as "WIOBOY" and now that iDragon one seems to be yet another re-branded one. Looks the same so hopefully it is the same. (never know sometimes)

Found the first one on amazon.in, uses iUSB Pro.

I'd be careful of the generic USB Type C plug though, I've heard non-approved generic ones have fried Android devices. (if you plan to use that connector at all)

I don't have any USB type C devices, plan on using it exclusively with iOS. Thank you for the heads up.

The short connector might not be friendly to fit if you have a case on the phone. That's why the other one is better too.

pUzZBMB.png

I have mine encased in a DualPro by Incipio. You're right, I may have to take the cover off. Looks like I'll have to order from AE as the iDragon equivalent is more than double the price on amazon.in.

Yeah the Rupee are not doing that great, do thrown me off balance too being used to deal with USD / EURO or Pounds

Here is the current recommended product for iOS devices:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01LR4HJHO
hS6W41t.png

We really dug in trying to contact the various app developers so they can add the audio codec support for what ever NT96650/NT96655 encodes audio in. None of them have returned our emails or various other contact methods yet. As mentioned if you copy the video to the main camera roll, the built in iOS video player plays the audio just fine.

The good news is, the coming SG9663DC (powered via NT96663) Audio is fully supported in all these iOS players for direct playback.

Recently bought several of these and could not get them to work with iOS 11.2.0, has anyone tested these lately on the newer iOS version with the suggested iUSB app? Tried different cables, tried different phones (all with iOS 11.2.0), tried different micro SDcards. None would ever connect to the iUSB app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never tried one, not sure what app they use either.

I’ve had mixed results trying that Lexar reader (it uses its own Lexar App), and had to buy an additional cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019...+to+female&dpPl=1&dpID=31EzC8PbUBL&ref=plSrch to make it work without removing the case on my phone. Additionally this may not be some Lexar proprietary hardware/software, as if you look up the PhotoFast device it looks identical. Everything is so similar these days hard to tell any more who is the real company behind things.

Anyway, a typical 64GB sandisk card, would read ok but did take some fiddling with. I think it works best when you start with the app closed, then plug in the Lexar reader with micro SD card already inserted, then it prompts to allow device to communicate with SD, app opens and it should connect and read. When I tried with a Lexar high endurance 64GB card, the app kept closing and would never read the card. I tried several times on my test dashcam (A119) to reformat using dashcam’s menu format (FAT32), and then record new test video, and it still would not work for me. Did not try on a 128GB card from the new Street Guardian dual camera unit either. Seems like maybe IOS 11 has introduce some issues overall in this SD card reader and app world, as I even went to Apple store and tried their lightening to SD card camera reader and it would not work either. Apple guy confirmed I had videos on my test SD cards on a Mac but the import picture function would never show anything. FYI this Apple one uses the standard SD card so you have to use the adapter to read the micros. Hope this helps, let me know if you find anything stable. I also just ordered several Amazon fire tablets that were really cheap during holidays ($30 each), thinking I could just keep them in car just in case needed to show video roadside, but in my testing last night could not get the video to play on the fire.

Last edited:
[OT]Hi YX5CZW2Y.
Seeing your pseudo, I can't help but be afraid thinking what your password would be.[/OT]

Recently bought several of these and could not get them to work with iOS 11.2.0, has anyone tested these lately on the newer iOS version with the suggested iUSB app? Tried different cables, tried different phones (all with iOS 11.2.0), tried different micro SDcards. None would ever connect to the iUSB app.

The WIOBOY lightening microSD card reader works :) on my iPad Pro with iOS 11.2.1 but doesn't work :( on my new iPhone X with iOS 11.2.1

256GB card (formated FAT32) is working great too by the way

[OT]Hi YX5CZW2Y.
Seeing your pseudo, I can't help but be afraid thinking what your password would be.[/OT]

Yeah lol I’m using a password manager and decided recently to not only use random passwords but unique usernames as well. I’ve seen others on here mention using same username for years across several websites which is not a good idea. Hopefully they’re just using it for forums, but not using that same username for banking, credit cards, etc. Oh and I do wear a foil hat too, to block the brain scanning attempts .

The WIOBOY lightening microSD card reader works :) on my iPad Pro with iOS 11.2.1 but doesn't work :( on my new iPhone X with iOS 11.2.1

256GB card (formated FAT32) is working great too by the way

Thanks, I returned the 3 Wioboy cables I had and gave them my reasoning so hopefully they will do some more testing and get the bugs worked out. In the mean time I will use WIFI on the DC which to me seems more convenient than having to keep up with a cable.

Back