first impressions (nighttime)

An update...

I decided not to mess with the calibration. The risk of screwing something up is, in my opinion, greater than the the benefit I'd get by having a few less bright dots on the night video (which don't impact the actual use or utility of the camera.)

I did end up ignoring Pier28's advice on aiming of the camera, however. Aimed with the front of the hood being 40% from the bottom of the frame, I was finding that I couldn't see some traffic lights in the video when I was driving downhill and approaching an intersection in a flat valley. (There are a LOT of hills where I live.) So, I'm currently aiming for the hood line to be at about 20% from the bottom of the frame. This puts the horizon at around 50% on FLAT ground (which is somewhat rare) and ensures I can see those traffic lights. I've attached a frame showing the aiming.

So far, I haven't noticed any adverse effects. Dimming the AE when the sky is very bright doesn't seem to adversely impact the "non-sky" portions of the video. @Pier28, what negative impacts might this aiming have?

Attachments

• Frame 2016.06.13 17-03-21 (0-25-16.366).jpg
    Frame 2016.06.13 17-03-21 (0-25-16.366).jpg
    370 KB · Views: 25
Back