Ford Focus 2019 micro fuse tap

leesider

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I am trying to hardwire a Nextbase 322 GW to the fuse box of my car (2019 Ford Focus) but the fuse lead(s) supplied with the hardwire kit I bought don't fit into any of the fuse slots in the car.
The hardwire kit I got is this one: https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cam-accessories/nextbase-dash-cam-hardwire-kit-159302.html
There are two fuse cables with the kit, one large and one small. I am unable to fit the smaller one into a 10 amp fuse slot. The first pic shows the fuse cable from the kit (coloured black) with the 10 amp fuse from the slot I am trying to put it into. As you can see the fuse cable is too big. I have two other pics with the measurements of the fuse.
There is another fuse in the fuse box (a 30 amp one; called the circuit-breaker) and I am unable to get the large cable fuse into that. All the other fuses seems to be three blades and the fuse cables that came with the kit have two blades.
So the small 10 amp fuse (it is marked no. 3 in the fuse box) seems to be my only hope.
I think I need a different fuse cable; a micro fuse tap. I have seen a this one online but I can't tell from the photo if it is the correct size;
Can anybody advise me? Thanks

Attachments

• 3 amp fuse.png
    3 amp fuse.png
    516.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Fuse measurement 1.jpg
    Fuse measurement 1.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Fuse measurement 2.jpg
    Fuse measurement 2.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 1
Yes, you need the smaller fuse type. And, when I added my add-a-fuse I had to file a bit of the plastic off to allow the add-a-fuse thing to seat properly.

I bought these;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B0BVC1HG1D
Maybe I didn't need to buy all three but I need to get the dashcam installed and functioning before next Saturday because that is the date of the returns policy expires. If I can't get it working via the fuse box by then I will have to return it.

I got the micro fuse tap but it doesn't fit the fuse cable on the dash cam (the dash cam cable is too large).
I am just fed up with it at this stage so I will return the dashcam.

Attachments

• toosmall.jpg
    toosmall.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 3
The dashcam can be wired to the OBD2 input on the car. This is the ODB2 socket on my car. It's where the mechanics plug in the diagnostics tool that gives them all the info on the car. I might try to get a dashcam cable that goes in there. Although it is on the drivers side, which is not ideal for a dashcam to be wired to. The fuse box is on the passenger side which is better.

Attachments

• obd2 input.png
    obd2 input.png
    910.1 KB · Views: 1
Back