Format Thinkware U1000

Eyeball

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would there be any way I could format my Thinkware U1000 and reinstall the software as I believe its software is corrupt and factory reset has no effect?

The reason I think the problem is corrupt software because everything was working perfectly on this formerly amazing camera, then for no reason the camera reset to factory defaults. The problem is it will not connect to cars hotspot, the correct SSID and password are in hotspot connection settings.

Seems like the phone’s hotspot is the default and the U1000 ignores all other hotspots.

what if you put the latest fw on the card again? won't it reinstall it ?
(then again, maybe it sees it as the same version as already installed and do nothing...)

I tried that and it made a strange buzzing sound, so maybe there was some hardware fault after all.
As they say all good things come to an end.

Unfortunately the camera won't power up, so there must of been a serious fault with it, so I've contacted Thinkwares support to see if I can have this repaired.
Maybe this is a blessing in disguise, as I don't think I could of trusted it again as anything that resets itself to factory defaults becomes untrustworthy.

Interesting symptoms, I just experienced something similar. After weeks of working fine, one day during startup announcements it said to “connect to a wifi network that starts with thinkware.” I hadn’t heard that prompt since the camera was new. It also started beeping at medium potholes while driving.

When I did connect to the wifi network, it had enabled impact detection while driving, which I (though) had been disabled. All other settings were the same. But it was strange to me how it happened.

I suppose if the camera keeps resetting itself then that will become annoying, but it's strange why suddenly it would reset to factory defaults. I wonder if its the heat.

I got my replacement camera back, wow what a difference, my old one when recording in 4k, the casing got very hot to touch, even in the winter, while the new one remains cool, also I remember with the old camera when connecting to a hotspot the first time took a while, but with the new one was quick even though both had same firmware 1.00.13.

The SSID on new camera is Thinkware_D3, the old one was Thinkware_C, so maybe the “C” has overheating problems.

It's cool in both park and continuous mode, but where I am it's winter, my old one would've still been hot.

I now know why this camera runs cool, though 4K recording is selected, the file is recording at 2560x1440 @ 30fps, Data rate 12000kbps, Total bitrate 12128kbps. So this camera isn't capable at recording at 4k, but if recording at 2k 30fps keeps the camera from overheating, then I'm happy to accept some quality loss for reliability, the main thing is the cloud works well.

I now know why this camera runs cool, though 4K recording is selected, the file is recording at 2560x1440 @ 30fps, Data rate 12000kbps, Total bitrate 12128kbps. So this camera isn't capable at recording at 4k, but if recording at 2k 30fps keeps the camera from overheating, then I'm happy to accept some quality loss for reliability, the main thing is the cloud works well

A very interesting statement saying the camera isn't capable of recording at 4k! How are you seeing this information? How do you come to that conclusion? I use the Thinkware viewer on my PC, with 32" BENQ QHD,(2560 x 1440 display) with Windows10 and it looks very good. However when I transfer the SD card across to my HP4k (3840 x 2160 ) windows 10 Laptop (and use the Thinkware viewer) that is running 4K natively, then I see an incredibly detailed video that I feel sure is 3840 x 2160.
I am not trying to trip you up, I would just like to know how you reach your conclusion?

This info is from the file properties as you can see from the picture.

Attachments

• U1000.jpg
    U1000.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 12
Yes. Thanks. Mine shows the correct properties front Camera 3840 x 2160 and the rear camera 2560 x 1440.

Does your camera get hot when recording in 4K.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A U1000 13
A U1000 3
H U1000 1
ilovepurple159 U1000 5
TKSX U1000 4
Back