Formatting Micro SD card for A229 plus? How to.

The A229 Plus/Pro can only support FAT32. If you insert a card with the format in exFat, there will be a card error shown on the camera and ask you to format the card. You need to press OK to format it first, and then you can use the camera normally. According to the screenshot, you have opened the files from the card, so you cannot format it with the tool successfully. Please close the files you opened from the card first, and then try to format it again.

@VIOFO-Support - the manual says otherwise, so the manual should be corrected. Page 9 of the on-line and paper manual.

I have not tried the two exFAT formatted cards yet, but based on what you have stated, I will not expect them to work.

@VIOFO-Support - the manual says otherwise, so the manual should be corrected. I have not tried the two exFAT formatted cards yet, but based on what you have stated, I will not expect them to work.
Yes, would be good for the manual to be corrected.

...If Viofo just put the GPS mount to slide UP, instead of too the RIGHT, it would solve my problem, it would fit nicely in that 2.5 inches space...
But the fact the mount slides right to remove...doesn't make sense to me...
If it slips up then it would have to be mounted lower on the window which some folks might find as undesirable as you find it to be sliding sideways. Viofo can't win in that situation as someone will be unhappy.

FWIW the same type of issue sort of exists with my SG cameras - the DC series has cable connections on the side while the X2 series has them on the top. Different but similar issue that also has a bearing on installation location.

...I could put it to the right of the rear view mirror but the A229 plus is a chunky thing, and feel it would stand out like a sore thumb when in the drivers seat and to the left of the rain sensor is maybe the only place it could go...even though the black matrix screen doesn't conceal the dashcam from prying eyes as it curves upwards...
Just something to think about, but it looks to me that the sensor housing is flat and wide enough (hard to tell from pictures) that you could mount the camera on it. That would also have the benefit of providing some protection for direct sunlight exposure. You wouldn't be able to use the 'static stickers' but I've had no issues using a number of different attachment methods over the years including industrial strength Velcro, 3M Dual-Lock, and VHB tapes - even on sensor covers with some curvature.

If it slips up then it would have to be mounted lower on the window which some folks might find as undesirable as you find it to be sliding sideways. Viofo can't win in that situation as someone will be unhappy.

FWIW the same type of issue sort of exists with my SG cameras - the DC series has cable connections on the side while the X2 series has them on the top. Different but similar issue that also has a bearing on installation location.

Just something to think about, but it looks to me that the sensor housing is flat and wide enough (hard to tell from pictures) that you could mount the camera on it. That would also have the benefit of providing some protection for direct sunlight exposure. You wouldn't be able to use the 'static stickers' but I've had no issues using a number of different attachment methods over the years including industrial strength Velcro, 3M Dual-Lock, and VHB tapes - even on sensor covers with some curvature.
Might look at it...not sure if the Cam will stick out to much to passers by.
It is only 1 1/4 inch wide (33mm)

Attachments

• tt8.png
    tt8.png
    896.7 KB · Views: 12
Yes, seen that post earlier today...thanks for your feedback and suggestion.
However, my problem is a bit more frustrating.
see pictures below.
If Viofo just put the GPS mount to slide UP, instead of too the RIGHT, it would solve my problem, it would fit nicely in that 2.5 inches space...
But the fact the mount slides right to remove...doesn't make sense to me.
My Street Guardian in my other vehicle (5 years old) slides up...and is a more versatile in regards to getting it off the windscreen.

I could put it to the right of the rear view mirror but the A229 plus is a chunky thing, and feel it would stand out like a sore thumb when in the drivers seat and to the left of the rain sensor is maybe the only place it could go...even though the black matrix screen doesn't conceal the dashcam from prying eyes as it curves upwards.

We also drive on the left side of the road and the steering wheel is on the right...lol
If I go to the U.S, it is gonna freak me out..lol

P.S If anyone from Mazda is reading this... Think about where you place useless rain sensors that hardly anyone uses so us dash cam owners can have a better day..lol
Rant over. :sneaky:
Yeah that ADAS hardware stalk is big and annoying, my A229 Pro is almost right in front of me as I'm driving because of the placement. Already have the Vantrue N4Pro on the left side so that's why cramped for space

Yeah that ADAS hardware stalk is big and annoying, my A229 Pro is almost right in front of me as I'm driving because of the placement. Already have the Vantrue N4Pro on the left side so that's why cramped for space

I have my A229 Pro to the right of the mirror and it is almost completely hidden from my view. Only issue is the A229 Pro will not recognise my voice commands unless I lean downward and towards the base of the dash cam and speak loudly. I will need to move it to the left of the mirror which will put it more in front of me on the windscreen.

I have my A229 Pro to the right of the mirror and it is almost completely hidden from my view. Only issue is the A229 Pro will not recognise my voice commands unless I lean downward and towards the base of the dash cam and speak loudly. I will need to move it to the left of the mirror which will put it more in front of me on the windscreen.
I wouldn't bother if it was me personally, I've found the voice commands to be hit and miss with both Viofo and Vantrue. Whether I've set it to high sensitivity on the Vantrue or not, or if I'm shouting or not :(

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Only place to put it. Not ideal but works.

Attachments

• tt10.png
    tt10.png
    331 KB · Views: 14
Thanks for replying, but there were NO files on the card at the time of error. I did not even put it IN the dash camera. It was a brand new card but for some reason it said it had OTHER processes running. Strange because I did not. So, I ran windows format exfat....then all of a sudden I could use the PC GUI format tool to format the card in Fat32.
Thank you for letting me know that the A229 plus and Pro, needs fat32.
Appreciate your response. :)
I had this problem as well. Taken straight from package in to my microSD reader on the laptop and ran the tool.
The process running is explorer.exe holding it. I use Microsoft PowerToys and their tool File Locksmith let's you know what process is preventing your file/disk access and the option to end the process. As soon as I did this I had no issues formatting the disk.

The A229 Plus/Pro can only support FAT32. If you insert a card with the format in exFat, there will be a card error shown on the camera and ask you to format the card. You need to press OK to format it first, and then you can use the camera normally. According to the screenshot, you have opened the files from the card, so you cannot format it with the tool successfully. Please close the files you opened from the card first, and then try to format it again.
hi am new on here, have just received my A 229 plus today and formated card to exfat32 as per user manual, seems to be ok.

Since firmware V1.2_240227, support for exFAT has been added. (pls don't use exfat32, that's a combination of two words, it doesn't exist and is therefor confusing).

Since firmware V1.2_240227, support for exFAT has been added. (pls don't use exfat32, that's a combination of two words, it doesn't exist and is therefor confusing).
So Windows formatted to exFAT will work now? It did not previously when I tried. I wonder if Format in the camera will use exFAT. If the files are 3 minutes, I guess it's still ok to use FAT32? Anyone tested exFAT vs Fat32 for the A229 Plus?

So Windows formatted to exFAT will work now? It did not previously when I tried. I wonder if Format in the camera will use exFAT. If the files are 3 minutes, I guess it's still ok to use FAT32? Anyone tested exFAT vs Fat32 for the A229 Plus?
If you format it on the camera, the card format will default to exFat as designed.

Back