Formatting Micro SD card for A229 plus? How to.

ozguy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Street Gaurdian, A229 plus
Hey Dash Cam aficionados,
Prob a dumb question, but I am assuming that the formatting for SD card for the A229 Plus and Pro.... is the same as A229 Duo?
Fat32?
As it sais in the manual exfat is also fine?
Formatting IN CAMERA?

I have a sandisk Max endurance 128g card.
1698738836449.png

Thanks in advance...
Dave.
@VIOFO-Support

2. To format on VIOFO Dashcam​

2.1 Auto format prompt​

1. Insert the memory card into the VIOFO dashcam, the dashcam will automatically recognize whether the memory card is in FAT32 format.

2. If the format is not FAT32, the machine will prompt "The format of the memory card is wrong, please format the memory card", then press the emergency lock button to confirm "OK" to format the memory card.

3. The memory card will be formatted to FAT32.

Supports models: A119 V3/A119 MINI/A119 MINI2/A129 PRO/A129 PLUS/A129 DUO/A229 DUO

Last edited:
Prob a dumb question, but I am assuming that the formatting for SD card for the A229 Plus and Pro.... is the same as A229 Duo?
Fat32?
Formatting IN CAMERA?

View attachment 68875

Thanks in advance...
Dave.
@VIOFO-Support

2.1 Auto format prompt​

1. Insert the memory card into the VIOFO dashcam, the dashcam will automatically recognize whether the memory card is in FAT32 format.

2. If the format is not FAT32, the machine will prompt "The format of the memory card is wrong, please format the memory card", then press the emergency lock button to confirm "OK" to format the memory card.

Supports models: A119 V3/A119 MINI/A119 MINI2/A129 PRO/A129 PLUS/A129 DUO/A229 DUO
They can only support FAT32. So the formatting methods are the same as A229Duo.

Fat32?
Formatting IN CAMERA?

View attachment 68875

Thanks in advance...
Dave.
@VIOFO-Support

2.1 Auto format prompt​

The safe bet is to always use the dashcam format tool. However, for the microSDXC card there are standards from SD Association and the standard states that 32gb to 2 TB should use exFAT. Fat32 is for
2gb to 2 TB. It can be a long ugly discussion as to which is best, but my view is that VIOFO should be using exFAT exclusively. The SD Association standards for the size of microSDXC that we generally use means that micro-controllers and dashcam software have to do a bit of magic to make a FAT32 file system work reliably on a memory card that, if it follows the standards, works better with exFAT.

SD Capacity Standards

FAT32 is not as efficient as exFAT and I have to wonder if some of the heat issues are related to the memory card doing extra buffering and steps to 'step down' to FAT32.

If I recall correctly, the format tool from the SD Association once permitted you to select the file format you wanted to use, regardless of memory size. It no longer does that and the tool, as I recall,
will automatically format FAT32, exFAT, etc. based on the polled size of the memory card.

The safe bet is to always use the dashcam format tool. However, for the microSDXC card there are standards from SD Association and the standard states that 32gb to 2 TB should use exFAT. Fat32 is for
2gb to 2 TB. It can be a long ugly discussion as to which is best, but my view is that VIOFO should be using exFAT exclusively. The SD Association standards for the size of microSDXC that we generally use means that micro-controllers and dashcam software have to do a bit of magic to make a FAT32 file system work reliably on a memory card that, if it follows the standards, works better with exFAT.

SD Capacity Standards

FAT32 is not as efficient as exFAT and I have to wonder if some of the heat issues are related to the memory card doing extra buffering and steps to 'step down' to FAT32.

If I recall correctly, the format tool from the SD Association once permitted you to select the file format you wanted to use, regardless of memory size. It no longer does that and the tool, as I recall,
will automatically format FAT32, exFAT, etc. based on the polled size of the memory card.
well @VIOFO-Support said above fat32.
It is all pretty confusing to tell you the truth and a straight damn process would be great from Viofo as they are a bit vague.
If I use the PC format tool, they are saying FAT32 and in Camera FAT32 as well.
Yes, I also agree with your comments.

SD Capacity Standards

doing it in PC now.
as suggested by Viofo.

It's Like watching paint dry...lol

Attachments

• sdcard (2).png
    sdcard (2).png
    17.3 KB · Views: 16
well @VIOFO-Support said above fat32.
It is all pretty confusing to tell you the truth and a straight damn process would be great from Viofo as they are a bit vague.
If I use the PC format tool, they are saying FAT32 and in Camera FAT32 as well.
Yes, I also agree with your comments.

Yep, his/her reply was confusing. My manual for the A229 Pro states exFAT first and then FAT32 second. I have been using FAT32 testing to isolate some weirdness in one of the A229 Pro that I own. I have just formatted a Kingston 512gb and VIOFO 256gb to exFAT ( via Linux ) and will test tomorrow to see if there are any changes in file size, number of files saved, boot times, and any other errors that may pop up.

:Ddoing it in PC now.
as suggested by Viofo.

It's Like watching paint dry...lol

HaHa...know the feeling. A full format is when I go turn on the telly, grab a drink and come back in 30 minutes. :D

HaHa...know the feeling. A full format is when I go turn on the telly, grab a drink and come back in 30 minutes. :D
this is at 10% now for 1 hour....just seems to go nowhere...there has to be a better way.
ohhhh, just hit 12%...
Ohhh, hang on, it goes back to 0% after each section/partition or whatever it is doing.

Last edited:
Yep, his/her reply was confusing. My manual for the A229 Pro states exFAT first and then FAT32 second. I have been using FAT32 testing to isolate some weirdness in one of the A229 Pro that I own. I have just formatted a Kingston 512gb and VIOFO 256gb to exFAT ( via Linux ) and will test tomorrow to see if there are any changes in file size, number of files saved, boot times, and any other errors that may pop up.
so exfat is fine then?

Yes, well, per the VIOFO manual it is a yes, and frankly, I would expect exFAT to work with the VIOFO 256gb microSDXC card. I used exFAT on my A129 Pro and did not have any issues, other than Linux sometimes did not like exFAT, as exFAT is usually not native to Linux.

exFAT is a more robust file system than FAT16 or FAT32. I found reasonably good info on Wikipedia about exFAT, easier to read that than for me to list out the benefits. Of course, the dash cam software
will need to make use of the features, it can ignore features if it wants to. But things like cluster size is larger, file size and partitions are larger, permission information and plenty more. However, a larger cluster size is a disadvantage if you are writing smaller file sizes. If the file size 16kb and the cluster size is 128kb, then you loose space and will write fewer number of files, Ideally you want the written file size to maximise the use of the cluster size in order to get the most files with the greatest size saved on a disk space.

exFAT wiki

this is at 10% now for 1 hour....just seems to go nowhere...there has to be a better way.
ohhhh, just hit 12%...
Ohhh, hang on, it goes back to 0% after each section/partition or whatever it is doing.

You are doing the best format actually, you could select a Quick format, which only rearranges the file allocation table and ignores any written data on the disk. If you check for bad clusters it adds to the time as well.

My format defaults to a quick format on Linux so that is all I did. Only took a few seconds. The proof will be on power up of the A229 Pro if it sees the exFAT file system or not. If not, it will then prompt for a format.

You are doing the best format actually, you could select a Quick format, which only rearranges the file allocation table and ignores any written data on the disk. If you check for bad clusters it adds to the time as well.

My format defaults to a quick format on Linux so that is all I did. Only took a few seconds. The proof will be on power up of the A229 Pro if it sees the exFAT file system or not. If not, it will then prompt for a format.
well doing fat32, with GUIformat tool..we shall soon see.
Havent powered the cam up yet A229 plus.

Thanks

Last edited:

SD Capacity Standards

I'm sure this has been mentioned before
Extended File Allocation Table (exFAT) is Microsoft-patented file system.

However if the OS is Linux then

exFAT as part of the Linux kernel​

In August 2019 Microsoft announced its support for integrating exFAT into the Linux kernel. exFAT is now part of the Linux kernel 5.7 and devices using this code are covered under the GPLv2 license.

So i guess the question is do dash cams use linux and if not that might be why exfat32 isn't used.

I do agree, exfat32 is what i would prefer.

Update,
(Putting here so maybe it helps others)
-----
so used GUIformat tool as suggested by @VIOFO-Support .

128 gig Micro sd card

Fat32

Format tool gave me an error...
"Failed to open device
GetLastError()=32 - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Image below.

., so, I RIGHT CLICKED on the SD card ..... clicked format... formatted the card via quick format to exfat...took 5 seconds... this somehow stopped other processes error.
Then, while the GUI format tool was open, I formatted to fat32.
It took about 2 hours and kept going back to 0% every 10 minutes or so, probably because it was doing its own segments/partitions.

Doing test vids now.

That was half my problem, the other half is mounting it to a Mazda, that has rain sensor on the windscreen (RIGHT WHERE A DASHCAM WOULD GO :mad:) that I am sure the work experience kid designed, just to stuff up and frustrate Dash cam users worldwide and make them lose there sanity and utter a few choice words.. :bored:

Thanks for the sounding board guys, really appreciate it.

Attachments

• GUI-error.png
    GUI-error.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Update,
(Putting here so maybe it helps others)
-----
so used GUIformat tool as suggested by @VIOFO-Support .

128 gig Micro sd card

Fat32

Format tool gave me an error...
"Failed to open device
GetLastError()=32 - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Image below.

., so, I RIGHT CLICKED on the SD card ..... clicked format... formatted the card via quick format to exfat...took 5 seconds... this somehow stopped other processes error.
Then, while the GUI format tool was open, I formatted to fat32.
It took about 2 hours and kept going back to 0% every 10 minutes or so, probably because it was doing its own segments/partitions.

Doing test vids now.

That was half my problem, the other half is mounting it to a Mazda, that has rain sensor on the windscreen (RIGHT WHERE A DASHCAM WOULD GO :mad:) that I am sure the work experience kid designed, just to stuff up and frustrate Dash cam users worldwide and make them lose there sanity and utter a few choice words.. :bored:

Thanks for the sounding board guys, really appreciate it.
The A229 Plus/Pro can only support FAT32. If you insert a card with the format in exFat, there will be a card error shown on the camera and ask you to format the card. You need to press OK to format it first, and then you can use the camera normally. According to the screenshot, you have opened the files from the card, so you cannot format it with the tool successfully. Please close the files you opened from the card first, and then try to format it again.

The A229 Plus/Pro can only support FAT32. If you insert a card with the format in exFat, there will be a card error shown on the camera and ask you to format the card. You need to press OK to format it first, and then you can use the camera normally. According to the screenshot, you have opened the files from the card, so you cannot format it with the tool successfully. Please close the files you opened from the card first, and then try to format it again.
Thanks for replying, but there were NO files on the card at the time of error. I did not even put it IN the dash camera. It was a brand new card but for some reason it said it had OTHER processes running. Strange because I did not. So, I ran windows format exfat....then all of a sudden I could use the PC GUI format tool to format the card in Fat32.
Thank you for letting me know that the A229 plus and Pro, needs fat32.
Appreciate your response. :)

...the other half is mounting it to a Mazda, that has rain sensor on the windscreen (RIGHT WHERE A DASHCAM WOULD GO :mad:)..
A possible solution.

A possible solution.

Yes, seen that post earlier today...thanks for your feedback and suggestion.
However, my problem is a bit more frustrating.
see pictures below.
If Viofo just put the GPS mount to slide UP, instead of too the RIGHT, it would solve my problem, it would fit nicely in that 2.5 inches space...
But the fact the mount slides right to remove...doesn't make sense to me.
My Street Guardian in my other vehicle (5 years old) slides up...and is a more versatile in regards to getting it off the windscreen.

I could put it to the right of the rear view mirror but the A229 plus is a chunky thing, and feel it would stand out like a sore thumb when in the drivers seat and to the left of the rain sensor is maybe the only place it could go...even though the black matrix screen doesn't conceal the dashcam from prying eyes as it curves upwards.

We also drive on the left side of the road and the steering wheel is on the right...lol
If I go to the U.S, it is gonna freak me out..lol

P.S If anyone from Mazda is reading this... Think about where you place useless rain sensors that hardly anyone uses so us dash cam owners can have a better day..lol
Rant over. :sneaky:

Attachments

• tt4.png
    tt4.png
    421.6 KB · Views: 13
  • tt6.png
    tt6.png
    753.9 KB · Views: 12
  • tt7.png
    tt7.png
    544.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yes, seen that post earlier today...thanks for your feedback and suggestion.
However, my problem is a bit more frustrating.
see pictures below.
If Viofo just put the GPS mount to slide UP, instead of too the RIGHT, it would solve my problem, it would fit nicely in that 2.5 inches space...
But the fact the mount slides right to remove...doesn't make sense to me.
My Street Guardian in my other vehicle (5 years old) slides up...and is a more versatile in regards to getting it off the windscreen.

I could put it to the right of the rear view mirror but the A229 plus is a chunky thing, and feel it would stand out like a sore thumb when in the drivers seat and to the left of the rain sensor is maybe the only place it could go...even though the black matrix screen doesn't conceal the dashcam from prying eyes as it curves upwards.

We also drive on the left side of the road and the steering wheel is on the right...lol
If I go to the U.S, it is gonna freak me out..lol

P.S If anyone from Mazda is reading this... Think about where you place useless rain sensors that hardly anyone uses so us dash cam owners can have a better day..lol
Rant over. :sneaky:
Move your mirror? Lol

Move your mirror? Lol
Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Back