FW 2.18 vs 0.59 for night use ?

I think you're right, this is an action cam first and the majority of users are RC flyers. With that said, the development team hasn't ignored the large dash cam group. Somewhere in the process of making the Mobius do all it can do, night performance degraded. The team worked hard to fix everything, just not sure night performance was ever a priority fix on the way to all the major Step 3 changes. The DSP codes from v0.59 are really old at this point, so it's not so simple to go back and pull parts out and plug them in with all the other changes made.

Question is wether or not it's worth tweaking v2.18 and keep Mode 2 as night settings or just run v0.59. The answer is in whether or not the extra tweaks and features of the higher firmwares, like Motion Detect are important to you. I had Mode 2 as "Low Light" which was easy to switch to in v2.10, if and when I remembered. So for me it's v0.59 for now, because set and forget is important as well as having the best night performance. As I said before, thanks to the development team (@Isoprop, Tom Frank and therau2000) none of which are dash cam users for keeping the improvements coming. The ultimate desicion comes from the developer

We are lucky that Tom Frank is so kind, and so involved. Big thanks to him. I don't know therau2000 yet. Without them, for sure the Mobius cam would't be what it is. The truth is that I am very glad with this little piece of technology, avaible for a low price, reliable. I would not pay more. Last year when I looked for a dashcam, it was necessary to pay more on Ebay for a bad video quality. When I looked again for a dashcam, some weeks ago, I was lucky to discover the Mobius via google and the forums. And I don't regret at all.
The only improvement I need is the 25 Hz option. It doesn't seem so nice yet. So I can stay FW0.59. But if next FW fix this option, I will be very hard to me to choose

Yes they are all great, though @Isoprop is the man to thank. The only one to join and support our dash cam group.

Oh! Then a big thanks to him :)

I did many tests today. I wanted to know about the 25 Hz option of the FW 2.18. First, contrary to what I thought a first, the 25 Hz option seems perfectly fluent. I switched my laptop monitor to 50 Hz instead of 60 Hz. And the video is quite smooth. This is a very interesting thing for me. More, filming à 25 Hz instead of 30 Hz increases a little bit the brightness. Very little of course, but FW2.18 25 Hz is rougly equivalent to FW0.59 30 Hz (both with wdr)

I think you're right, this is an action cam first and the majority of users are RC flyers.
RC flyers are still the majority of users? I don't think so. are you sure?

RC flyers are still the majority of users? I don't think so. are you sure?
Let's hope we are large enough for future dash cam specific models from the developer

I really hope they fix night performance on next release, 2.18 night is very grainy and gloomy

Am I the only one not able to see license plates at night?

Running 0.59

As suspected, which is why I feel v0.59 is the Mobius firmware sweet spot.
i have to agree with you, i had installed the latest FW version 2.18, and now having the chance to test it out, i downgraded to .59, and i can definitely say the blacks look more solid and the picture is brighter, too much grain in the 2.18 version...

i have to agree with you, i had installed the latest FW version 2.18, and now having the chance to test it out, i downgraded to .59, and i can definitely say the blacks look more solid and the picture is brighter, too much grain in the 2.18 version...
Keep in mind that the development team fixed a ton of problems like color shifting, start up issues and added a huge amount of features on the way to v2.18. V2.18 is nothing short of amazing with all they fixed and added; sticking to the basics, v0.59 is the sweet spot, especially at night.

Your killing me, so you still feel that FW v.59, is still better for night time use..or do you think the v2.18, with the added features outweighs the night time advantage of v.59....which are you currently running...

Your killing me, so you still feel that FW v.59, is still better for night time use..or do you think the v2.18, with the added features outweighs the night time advantage of v.59....which are you currently running...
Ha ha what I am saying is don't be confused, while v0.59 is the sweet spot, the firmware updates fixed a ton of problems and did some amazing things. It's not as if the updates were unnecessary and v0.59 is the best. I don't want to take anything away from the development team and all the hard work they did to advance this camera and truly make the Mobius first class.

Night time performance is key for me, so I'm running v0.59. Everyone's needs are different and there is a firmware for each persons needs.

Me too, I would prefer the better night time image, just great that the developers allows us to downgrade FW, a lot of developers don't, like Apple, once you update, you are screwed...

I know, IOS 8 made my iPad 2 almost useless.

Back