G1W Focus issue/Damaged Lens/Dust?

IbanezRG777

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just received my new G1W yesterday, and while the video is 1080p, 30fps and in .MOV format, it's oddly blurry. Almost as if it's out of focus.
I'm a little hesitant to open the camera up in case I end up damaging it completely.
Does this look like an issue that can be fixed by playing with the focus or is there something else I can do to improve the image quality?
These are screenshots from the video:

Attachments

• g1wcjpg.jpg
    g1wcjpg.jpg
    711.8 KB · Views: 22
  • g1wajpg.png
    g1wajpg.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
if you bought locally send it back, if you bought from China open it up and refocus it, will be less drama than trying to return it

The focus issue you describe is a well known, long standing problem with the G1W that many people have encountered. It is discussed and illustrated in the DashCamTalk write-up on the G1W series.
You can open up the camera as described in the above linked write-up and try refocusing the lens. In some cases the problem appears to be a flaw in the lens itself and one solution would be to replace the lens with a better quality one as described HERE. Even a cheap replacement lens (with an IR-cut filter) from eBay should perform better than the one that came on your G1W.

Back