G1W & G1W-C Motion Detection/G-Sensor

ben.harris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been thinking about buying a dash-cam for a while, and having discovered a large dent in the wing of my car last week, caused by persons unknown, I wish I had bought one already!

If I had already got one, would either the Motion Detection, or G-sensor functionality of the G1W have helped me find out when it happened or who did it? - or do they not work like that?

I'm also deliberating between the G1W, G1WH and G1W-C. I notice that the G1W-C doesn't mention that it has the Motion Detection functionality on FoxOffer's page. It this likely to just be a typo, or would it require a battery rather than a capacitor to utilise that functionality?

Thanks in advance! :)

Ben.

If you want to use while parked it needs to be permanently powered, the capacitor model is the better choice

OK - thanks.

In that case, has anyone measured how many milliamps the G1W-C draws while it's in use, recording, with the screen off? Presumably, it'll be quite a bit less than the battery model, as it won't be trying to charge it. If it's under 50mA, then it sounds quite feasible to leave it on permanently without the risk of killing the car's battery any time soon.

I've been thinking about buying a dash-cam for a while, and having discovered a large dent in the wing of my car last week, caused by persons unknown, I wish I had bought one already!

If I had already got one, would either the Motion Detection, or G-sensor functionality of the G1W have helped me find out when it happened or who did it? - or do they not work like that?

I'm also deliberating between the G1W, G1WH and G1W-C. I notice that the G1W-C doesn't mention that it has the Motion Detection functionality on FoxOffer's page. It this likely to just be a typo, or would it require a battery rather than a capacitor to utilise that functionality?

Thanks in advance! :)

Ben.
I think in your case you will need two because you mentioned your wing was damaged, so anticipating which side the damage might occur is difficult with one camera. So dont be upset with yourself for not buying one sooner, it probably would have been facing forward and maybe missed the incident. Dash cams are not ideal for these things.
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/6...is-best-for-catching-a-vandal-in-the-act.html

OK - thanks.

In that case, has anyone measured how many milliamps the G1W-C draws while it's in use, recording, with the screen off? Presumably, it'll be quite a bit less than the battery model, as it won't be trying to charge it. If it's under 50mA, then it sounds quite feasible to leave it on permanently without the risk of killing the car's battery any time soon.

you'd have to measure it, I'd be surprised if it were less than 300mA though

Back