G1WH issues with motion recording... I think..

MikeS

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased a G1WH off Amazon from SpyTec. Over all the camera is nice and video quality is decent!!

However, I am concerned I have a defected unit. I have a class 10 32GB Sandisk card currently installed. The resolution is set at 1080 with motion detection on, G. sensor off and loop recording set at 10 mins.

When I am driving sometimes the camera will record for 15 seconds, then stop and continue a few seconds later. Other times it may record for a minute and stop then continue.

Already there have been a couple instances where I would have liked to save a video and it would be cut off and continued too late.

I have a couple videos uploaded on the net. You are welcome to download and see what I am talking about..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B...zdNdWt0RmV2NUEtWnQxS3Bzai10UEkydEE&authuser=0

For instance if you look at video's ending in 39, 40, 41. You will see how the camera randomly stops and starts at recording. Video 67 when I am just pulling out from a field job. The camera starting recording then just stops recording while clearly there is plenty of motion.

Any idea on what could be wrong here?

it's not faulty as such, just motion detect doesn't work properly on these, turn motion detect off and you should find it to be reliable

As @jokiin said, motion detection doesn't work as well as it should.

I recently replaced by G1W-H cams with SG9665GCs and thought I would try out the G1Ws as 'security cams' by mounting them in a window with a view of my front yard, driveway, etc.

To keep from continuous recording I turned motion detection on. Result - after 48 hours of operation absolutely nothing was recorded - zip, zilch, nada.

I did some testing on the sensitivity of the motion detection and, at least with my cams, they required something to be in motion over 1/3 of the sensor for about 1 second or slightly longer before it would start recording. Cars leaving and entering the garage would not do it, walking across the lawn would not do it, mail delivery would not do it. Bottom line is it takes A LOT of motion to trigger - and it's totally useless as a security cam.

As @jokiin said, motion detection doesn't work as well as it should.

I recently replaced by G1W-H cams with SG9665GCs and thought I would try out the G1Ws as 'security cams' by mounting them in a window with a view of my front yard, driveway, etc.

To keep from continuous recording I turned motion detection on. Result - after 48 hours of operation absolutely nothing was recorded - zip, zilch, nada.

I did some testing on the sensitivity of the motion detection and, at least with my cams, they required something to be in motion over 1/3 of the sensor for about 1 second or slightly longer before it would start recording. Cars leaving and entering the garage would not do it, walking across the lawn would not do it, mail delivery would not do it. Bottom line is it takes A LOT of motion to trigger - and it's totally useless as a security cam.

Thank you both for this answer. This has explained much. We must debate if the camera should be returned at this point. Pity, it makes beautiful quality video. Yet, we are concerned turning the motion detection off will defeat the purpose of capturing worry free video..

My under standing is 1080 on a 32GB card will produce 6 hours of video.. That is less than a typical full work day... Or let us think in worse case scenario.. We have something happen on the way to work.. We then have to shut the camera down so it may not over write the footage of that event. Yet, something else worse happens in that day. However, our camera was off, making the camera completely worthless.

Can you see our concern?

Is there another camera in the same price range that has better motion detection recording? We have become exhausted reading all the reviews.. many of which seem.... screwed..

Thank you

are you wanting to leave the camera running all the time?

The camera is "powered on" 24/7 in the truck. However, I would like the camera to record when slight movement is detected. Not, when three quarters of the camera lens requires movement. Like stated before, we were ordering fast food. There was a kid holding up the drive through window. However, when I was in the first window paying. The camera stopped.. only 3 seconds after paying.. then did not start recording again until I was in the apron of the driveway leaving.. The kid being at the pickup window. Completely missing the pickup window interaction and the audio..

It was then, that I noticed an issue..

the motion detect on this model doesn't work anywhere near well enough for this situation

if you want 24/7 reliable recording better to have a camera that supports larger memory and leave it running, 128gb cards are going to be good for around 18 hours in most decent cameras

the performance you need is not available in the same sort of price range though, something to be aware of

the motion detect on this model doesn't work anywhere near well enough for this situation

if you want 24/7 reliable recording better to have a camera that supports larger memory and leave it running, 128gb cards are going to be good for around 18 hours in most decent cameras

the performance you need is not available in the same sort of price range though, something to be aware of

We see what you are say, we apologize, perhaps it was not explained well.

Basically it takes us 15 minutes to get to work, perhaps another 15 for picking up lunch (maximum time). Then 15 minutes drive home.

So we are looking at roughly 45 minutes per day. Just in the motion of driving.. In one day of actual driving, we are lucky if the camera records 12 minutes for the entire day.

Our point being that the camera on motion detection records less then our first drive in each morning.. This is catastrophic in the event we are expecting the camera to capture a serious event moments before it takes place.. Say, are on the highway, the camera stops recording. A car cuts us off, causing an accident. Though the recording does not start recording again until the collision has already taken place. Making the video capture moot..

Is the point better understood?

if you just want it for those situations though why use motion detect, why not just have it recording when you're driving, or am I missing something?

Is the point better understood?

Maybe not, at least for me.

Do you want the camera to record 24/7 whenever it detects motion (even if the vehicle is not running and parked)?

Or do you want it to record when the vehicle is running regardless of whether it detects motion?

if you just want it for those situations though why use motion detect, why not just have it recording when you're driving, or am I missing something?

Yes, we are sorry, but it appears you are missing the concept of motion detection.

"A motion sensor is a device that detects physical movement on a device or within an environment. It has the ability to detect and capture physical and/or kinetic movements in real time."

So, by definition we expect the camera to record ANY movement within the lens view. Then halt any recording when ANY movement is outside the lens view.

Though in this camera's case. motion is ONLY recorded when majority view is obscured..

Not "motion detection" by definition..

TO
Maybe not, at least for me.

Do you want the camera to record 24/7 whenever it detects motion (even if the vehicle is not running and parked)?

Or do you want it to record when the vehicle is running regardless of whether it detects motion?

TO ONLY RECORD WHEN ANY MOTION IS DETECTED! MOTION DETECTION

so you want it doing that 24/7, is that correct, sorry but you're not making it clear and I do understand what motion detect is

Ok, I really don't know how else to make it clearER

I leave the camera powered on in the vehicle 24/7. (That is a complete DAY cycle of 24 hours.. (twenty four) hours. 7 (seven) days of the planetary hour a week system.. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.)** Then cycle begins again. SYSTEM.of 24/7.

So the camera has power and remains ON from the vehicle power system (24/7)**

Expecting the camera to RECORD... ANY... MOTION.. WITH.. IN.. THE.. OPTICAL.. VIEW.. RANGE 24/7 ANY... MOTION.. WITH.. IN.. THE.. OPTICAL.. VIEW.. RANGE 24/7 ANY... MOTION.. WITH.. IN.. THE.. OPTICAL.. VIEW.. RANGE 24/7 ANY... MOTION.. WITH.. IN.. THE.. OPTICAL.. VIEW.. RANGE 24/7 ANY... MOTION.. WITH.. IN.. THE.. OPTICAL.. VIEW.. RANGE 24/7 ANY... MOTION.. WITH.. IN.. THE.. OPTICAL.. VIEW.. RANGE 24/7..

So. overview here. The camera is receiving power day and night AGAIN AND AGAIN.. the G1WH is powered on EVERY DAY AND NIGHT ALL Week long. AGAIN AND AGAIN!

THE G1WH is set to record in "MOTION DETECTION" MEANING: "A motion sensor is a device that detects physical movement on a device or within an environment. It has the ability to detect and capture physical and/or kinetic movements in real time."

That means "ANY MOTION DETECTED WITHEN THE LENS VIEW OF RANGE"

I hope this does not come off insulting.. I honestly don't intend for it to be as such.. Just trying to make a VERY clear point.

So when I state the camera should be recording at least 45 mins MINIMUM in a work day. RATHER records in a range of 12 mins AT BEST! This is not 'motion detection' by definition..

you could have saved a lot time by just answering the 24/7 question, I stopped reading after that as that's the only bit you needed to clarify, seems like your keyboard is broken, caps lock is stuck ;)

anyway you're asking for parking mode/and or proper motion detection, this camera doesn't have it, it's not suitable to be powered 24/7 either so not a great choice to begin with

if you want foolproof capture then recording constantly 24/7 is the way to go but you'll need a camera that supports large memory cards so you have enough stored memory to be able to go back and review any events that occurred, in very low light situations you'll find that even the best motion detect can let you down, these are dashcams, not state of the art security systems

the Panorama S is probably the closest to what you have but that actually works properly, it has pre buffered motion detect that will constantly record but drop if no movement detected, if movement is detected it will record to memory card from 5 seconds prior to being triggered, as I said though in low light situations you still could find this to be a problem, it does however support very large memory cards so you could easily use a card that will record more than one whole day at a time before the camera started to recycle

Back