G1W-HC?

Mine are still working and still keep the date/time reasonably accurately for 24 hours; I haven't had them idle for longer than that yet. My 'funky' one is still recording but I don't trust it so this weekend I'm ordering another Mobius as I'd planned for my side cams along. EddieL's fix should work for any of these, but most dashcam users aren't going to have the needed tools, skills, or desire to accomplish that. And the manufacturers aren't going to fix it by any means other than firmware changes because of the added expense/loss of profits that would entail.

It needs to be realized that this is an old generic design whose performance is now considered mostly acceptable at best. And with the many different manufacturers and the intense market competition it's nearly reached it's nadir. Viofo's upcoming G1W-S with a Sony sensor will probably be the last hurrah of the G1W series cams. It's an old veteran who has served us well (and it deserves recognition for that) but whose time to fade out of the scene has probably come. There's not a lot to recommend it anymore- mostly it's low price and it's ability to use cards larger than 32GB and the versatility of the suction-cup mounting. It was a very good option in it's time but those times have changed.

Phil

If Viofo is going to put a Sony sensor in a G1W, something many people wouldn't even consider, so absurd an idea it was, maybe the G1W's design/form factor/whatever is still worth it.

Reactions: Mtz
No doubt it would be the best version of the G1W, not a style I particularly like but there are plenty of people that like the model so I'm sure it will find a market

7 months later and both cams still work reliably, but one still gives odd recording LED blinks (usually but not always like "R" in morse code: ._. ). If it's blinking it working (as verified by viewing the files) so that's good enough for me. :D $36.33 plus shipping right now.
They have a G1W-CB listed for $33.88 but I have no experience with that one.

A darn good price for what's turned out to be a quite decent super-cap powered dashcam so far. Still best to stay with recommended sellers just in case you have problems ;)

Phil

Update: 11 months later and in a hot summer with both cams still doing well :cool:

I had been having some occasional shutdowns with one of these. It was temporarily replaced with a cheapie G1W fake which had similar problems. Changed the PS and both cams worked well after that. The other cam's PS is still doing well. So while this cam is good the PS's may not be.

Phil

FINAL Update: Almost 15 months into the game and one cam still works excellently, but the 2nd one locks up and stops recording after a few hours recording, the LED is on but not blinking. Re-powering will restart it, It seems heat-related as it's worse on hot days. It may also need an in-cam card formatting to start up again- after a few of these episodes that becomes necessary. It's also started to randomly miss files even though the LED remains blinking. I would try to reload the firmware, however this cam is no longer in production and Gearbest hasn't responded to my inquiries probably for that reason.

For a $35 cam this wasn't a bad one but judging by the sparsity of vids and reviews online apparently it didn't sell well enough to remain in production :( Therefore this is my last update on the G1W-HC.

Phil

Back