G1W-HC?

Sure its been around for a while, but there haven't been any major case revisions to the G1W lineup since the G1W-H/G1W-HC styled cases (w/ squared edges) came out, so it is technically the 'newer' style case vs. the original G1W/G1W-C/G1W-CB styled cases (w/ rounded edges).

Still looking for information regarding functional differences between this new revision (G1W-HC) and the older G1W-CB.
I have had the brushed-metal faced round-edge case G1Wc with chrome lens trim and satin chrome buttons sold by Spytec, which I presume is correct as they are a known recommended seller. I've seen pics of other versions here. I also note that the G1Wh wasn't spoken of on this site until a few years ago while the G1W has been around much longer, and the C model seems to predate the H model as well. The G1Wh never had supercaps and according to those who should know, was not compatible with them. This definately has caps.

The firmware is different as is the text font, but the menu selection is the same as best I can recall. The buttons are different on the right; on top is a combined 'lock' and 'shutter' then down the back is 'menu' above 'mode', but each performs the same way as my Spytec model.

So there are visible and button-placement differences, but functionally both cameras are equal in every way right down to chipset and CMOS so as far as I'm concerned they are essentially the same. I started this thread seeking input and answers but now all I seem to be getting are people wanting to bash me so I'm done with this thread and I shall post here no more. If you want to know any more about this camera go buy one for yourself.

Phil

Yes- exactly. That's identical in appearance.
Oops... Then I have to apologize. :oops: I really thought that we were finally going to see a G1W-H with capacitors but I guess I was fooled by the picture. :(

I don't understand what you wrote here guys... Can you please post asap here a picture of G1w-HC with mount which u got from GearBest? Is this device have Novatek 96650 chipset with AR0330 CMOS sensor?

I don't understand what you wrote here guys... Can you please post asap here a picture of G1w-HC with mount which u got from GearBest? Is this device have Novatek 96650 chipset with AR0330 CMOS sensor?
As far as the hardware goes, it's the real thing. As far as how it looks, according to @SawMaster it's a normal G1W-C.

I thought that it looks like G1Wh :/ I dont like these silver buttons...

I thought that it looks like G1Wh :/
So did I and I was hoping it was a capacitor version of the H, but apparently no.

So they basically just sent you a G1W-C? Strange- that picture and description sure are misleading, if not entirely false.

So they basically just sent you a G1W-C? Strange- that picture and description sure are misleading, if not entirely false.
I can't say I'm surprised by that, knowing how "creative" Chinese sellers are. Gearbest even included a picture of a real H with capacitors (post #2).

So did you get G1W-C or G1W-CB instead of G1W-HC? Im asking because I want to order G1w-HC and I won't be mad for getting black ring, but I will if I get silver ring :p

So did you get G1W-C or G1W-CB instead of G1W-HC? Im asking because I want to order G1w-HC and I won't be mad for getting black ring, but I will if I get silver ring :p
It was @SawMaster who bought it, not me. ;) You'll have to ask him.

Does anyone (especially @SawMaster ) know, whether against G1W-HC, it's possible to update firmware, based on G1WH firmware, or G1W-C firmware? Or G1W-HC is something completelly different?

Does anyone (especially @SawMaster ) know, whether against G1W-HC, it's possible to update firmware, based on G1WH firmware, or G1W-C firmware? Or G1W-HC is something completelly different?
The G1W-H firmwares won't work because the HC has a capacitor, the C's firmwares might not be compatible because I think the HC's mainboard is different, but why would you want to change the firmware if the one that comes with the camera works fine?

Just wanted to update some things about my 2 cams. Both are still working, but both had loosening of the USB power socket and one became intermittent because of that. A simple fix once the case is opened and it's a common issue with many cams so no real complaint; just wanted to mention it so others could keep an eye on theirs in that spot ;)

But one of these now has several issues. The SD card socket doesn't align well with the case, so when I went to pull the card for maintenance there wasn't the usual springing-out you usually have. I managed to break a nearly new 64GB card removing it with a penknive even with me being very careful- "ouch" goes the budget :oops: That one is also acting weird with the red recording light; instead of evenly-spaced sequential single flashes when recording, it boots then flashes in 3-flash segments, then about ten seconds later the light goes to solid red. The card shows the recorded files which are all viewable but something isn't right here anymore and I would not be much surprised if that one fails soon :( I've ordered some new cards and will post here if that fixes things or if the cam dies.

The other one is rock-steady now other than the lens getting dusty from being in back of my dusty work van :p Totally happy with it.

Phil

I received a G1W-HC as a Christmas gift (ordered on Amazon). The first thing I noticed was the dubious re-branding on the package. You can see from the image that the original label reads "G1W-H" and has been covered with "G1W-HC". I can confirm that a capacitor is installed and not a battery. The only thing wrong with the dashcam is that it does not retain the date/time settings after a couple of hours or so. After combing through this forum and reading many posts, I flashed newer firmware. The installed version was dated from 2013 from Kamo Electronics. Apparently, they're not in business any longer. That's where it gets interesting. There is no firmware available for download specifically for the HC. So, I flashed the latest -C firmware from both Black Box and Spytec (both are similar is execution). The only thing different is that the Record and Menu buttons are swapped--not a huge deal. Nevertheless, the date/time settings issue was not resolved. Some have posted that the capacitor is probably bad, so being the fixer-upper that I am, I have ordered a replacement Kamcap SE-Z 5.5V 1.5F super capacitor on eBay. I will post an update as soon as the package arrives from somewhere in China.

Xu7v5Ro.jpg
CmRIpm5.jpg

I replaced the capacitor last night; however, the date/time issue is not resolved. Looks like I'll just keep it connected to an always hot connection in my car. It's become habit for me to power on/off when driving anyway. It was worth a shot.

@hero2zero
Both G1w-c/cb and G1w-HC have the same problem - they don't have time-keeping battery. In battery version real time clock was kept operational by the main battery, but when they changed it to supercap - the RTC doesn't get power during power-off. It only keeps time/date for few hours by some parasitic capacitance. The simplest way to fix it I described in https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/capacitor-standby-power-mod.26196/page-2#post-314150 (post #26). If you have some soldering skills - you also can try this simple mod. I hope that PCB version is the same...

Thanks, EddieL. I've read through the forum and understand the absence of a time-keeping battery on all the -C variants. What's intriguing are the posts wherein the owners of some of these devices do not have the same problems with the date/time settings considering the parasitic drain of the capacitor. I am also interested in Black Box's firmware fix that states here:

"A fix has been released for the date time issue where the date/time setting is not maintained after powering off. 3/03/2016

Please download if your G1W,G1W-B,G1W-C, or G1W-CB camera is not saving the time and date when powered off."

Nevertheless, their firmware did not work for me either. Considering all the input, I am inclined to believe that you are correct. It is still interesting, no?

Thanks, EddieL. I've read through the forum and understand the absence of a time-keeping battery on all the -C variants. What's intriguing are the posts wherein the owners of some of these devices do not have the same problems with the date/time settings considering the parasitic drain of the capacitor. I am also interested in Black Box's firmware fix that states here:

"A fix has been released for the date time issue where the date/time setting is not maintained after powering off. 3/03/2016

Please download if your G1W,G1W-B,G1W-C, or G1W-CB camera is not saving the time and date when powered off."

Nevertheless, their firmware did not work for me either. Considering all the input, I am inclined to believe that you are correct. It is still interesting, no?

there are multiple versions of this same looking camera, the fix may work for cameras they use but may not apply to others

My notes show that I tried three versions of -C firmware. I naturally assumed that the Black Box firmware would work as the device was packaged as such.

My notes show that I tried three versions of -C firmware. I naturally assumed that the Black Box firmware would work as the device was packaged as such.

unfortunately there is generic packaging with the Black Box name on it that many different versions have used, at last count there were eight different suppliers of PCB for these that were all different, not something I've looked at in a while so there may even be more than that, while there was a lot of similarities there was enough differences that the firmwares from some wouldn't work on others

Back