G522 frozen and won’t turn off

Lisa H

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone help? Just come home from work and my dashcam which is hardwired and removable won’t turn off. The rear cam photo is frozen and the record is frozen. As I move the dash cam the front view moves and shows me what is in front of me. It’s not connected to power now as I’ve removed it from my car. I’ve pressed the reset button and this doesn’t work, I’ve removed the SD card, this hasn’t made a difference and I’ve tried to turn it off with the power button and this hasn’t worked. I’m lost now! It’s really warm with being turned on. I’m hoping the battery will run out causing it to turn off and then when I reconnect it’s ok! The parking mode was on

Are we talking about a new camera or is it a few months or years old. So for sure once the inbuilt battery runs out you should expect it to turn off. Have you re-tried it again today?

Hello Lisa,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your 522GW.

Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam using a pen. Then, without the SD card inserted, please turn on the Camera. Does it now start normally?

What brand, size, model and class of SD card are you using please?
When and where was the SD card purchased please?
How often is the card usually formatted please?

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Are we talking about a new camera or is it a few months or years old. So for sure once the inbuilt battery runs out you should expect it to turn off. Have you re-tried it again today?
Hi. The battery ran out and I’ve put it back in my car today and thankfully it works, it is just over a year old. Not sure what happened, it’s been ok until now

Hello Lisa,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your 522GW.

Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam using a pen. Then, without the SD card inserted, please turn on the Camera. Does it now start normally?

What brand, size, model and class of SD card are you using please?
When and where was the SD card purchased please?
How often is the card usually formatted please?

Kind regards,
Millie
Hi Millie. I tried all of that last night. I remove it from my car when not using it as it’s one that slots onto the mount. I removed the SD card, nothing. Pressed the reset button, nothing (This usually works when it freezes), tried to turn it off, nothing. It stayed frozen showing the rear cam picture even though it was removed from my vehicle but showed the view from the camera itself as I moved it around. Thankfully, the battery ran out and I’ve put it back in my car today and it’s working fine. I’ve formatted the SD card. Parking mode was on as I leave it in the car whilst I’m working. It’s just over a year old. Any idea what caused it? Hopefully it will be ok now.

Hi Millie. I tried all of that last night. I remove it from my car when not using it as it’s one that slots onto the mount. I removed the SD card, nothing. Pressed the reset button, nothing (This usually works when it freezes), tried to turn it off, nothing. It stayed frozen showing the rear cam picture even though it was removed from my vehicle but showed the view from the camera itself as I moved it around. Thankfully, the battery ran out and I’ve put it back in my car today and it’s working fine. I’ve formatted the SD card. Parking mode was on as I leave it in the car whilst I’m working. It’s just over a year old. Any idea what caused it? Hopefully it will be ok now.
SD card was bought with the dash cam and is a Nextbase one

Hi. The battery ran out and I’ve put it back in my car today and thankfully it works, it is just over a year old. Not sure what happened, it’s been ok until now
Glad to hear it, just needed a reboot.

Hi. The battery ran out so it turned itself off and thankfully it worked today. Took the SD card our, pressed reset, tried the off button, none would work. Fingers crossed it will stay ok

Hi Lisa,
Have you tried formatting the SD card in a computer please?

1) On a Windows Computer:
a) Plug the SD card into the SD card port, or plug the provided USB cable into the port on the top of the camera (select UPDATE on the cam's screen).
b) When the drive appears, right click on the drive.
c) Select 'Format' (Windows)
d) Ensure the 'Quick Format box' is not ticked. Please ensure it's formatted as exFAt or FAT32.
e) Follow the instructions.

2) On a Mac:
To reformat an SD or micro SD card on your Mac, do this:
Download, Unzip and install the following program
This is a tool to format SD cards properly on a mac.
Ensure you select "Overwrite Format"

Please be aware that formatting the SD card will delete all the data on the card, so if you wish to keep any footage, please copy this across to a computer before you start the formatting process.

Doing a full format of the SD card usually takes 30 minutes to an hour and is great to do periodically to ensure the card is completely formatted (it's a deeper format that is performed via the dashcam itself).

Kind regards,
Millie

You mentioned freezing, do you have the latest update installed ie R23.7

Back