G90 A7LA70 unfocused videos

I used the clip from @Hilts (1920 x 1080 50fps HDR Off) to make a new comparison with another video in conditions with more light.
The following result is obtained from cropped images (1200x500) of original videos (the centres of the images correspond to the centre of videos)
c4wEluLIGw42bJcX

full image: https://copy.com/YZEEyN6BNqQ30qIM
The results from @Hilts are more sharp. All my videos are a little foggy. Also, the sound is different: @Hilts more low frequencies, mine more high frequencies.

Ideal is to have something like this:
but I'm not even close to that result.

Are you in discussion with your supplier about this focus issue?

I was quite happy today when I received my dashcam, but my happiness didn't last long. Today it was a slightly cloudy day (but without rain), outside temperatures 19-20C/ interior temperature 20.5C.

I was expecting better results. For example searching among the videos posted by @Hilts
for a resolution of 1920x1080_25fps HDR Off , slightly cloudy day, and running at higher speed than me, the results are far better
CtHkkC0ltoWoZIoB

full image: https://copy.com/yKACAzNCkEyHvdF4

What do you think ?
  1. it's a faulty unit
  2. crappy dashcam
  3. my fault, and I have to do something

How are your 1920x1080_25fps results (~15Mbps) ? And how is the focus within the first minute? I think the internals are "over" heating and the cmos/cpu "throttle down" when that happens.

Lens is fixed focus and is adjusted by hand during production, human error means they can be out sometimes, it can and does happen regardless of make or model unfortunately

If what's on the GPS on your dash is in focus but what's up ahead is not (can't see this on my phone) then it's because the lens focus is incorrectly set, you could open up the camera and refocus if you're keen and returning the camera isn't a practical option

This video has 79,000 hits:

"GoPro claim a 33% increase in image sharpness. What they fail to tell you is that image sharpness comes from having the subject closer. Anything within 4 to 5 feet of the camera appears sharper. Anything further is much less sharper then the previous Hero 3"

Published on Nov 22, 2013

How are your 1920x1080_25fps results (~15Mbps) ? And how is the focus within the first minute? I think the internals are "over" heating and the cmos/cpu "throttle down" when that happens.
For the moment I don't have any clips recorded at 1920x1080_25fps (I'll test).
I left the dashcam to charge from the USB port of my laptop and when I wanted to remove it I found it warmer than I was expecting. But, then again without a proper measurement of the temperature, it's impossible to say.

What they fail to tell you is that image sharpness comes from having the subject closer
Your example is another device. I compared my clips only with samples recorded by other users and the same dashcam.

Tobby I just took my G90 apart and started hacking at the glue without trying to twist - I got a little bit of the glue off but it turns out the lens turns freely anyway!!!!

Tobby I just took my G90 apart and started hacking at the glue without trying to twist - I got a little bit of the glue off but it turns out the lens turns freely anyway. No wonder mine drifts about!

For the moment I don't have any clips recorded at 1920x1080_25fps (I'll test).
I left the dashcam to charge from the USB port of my laptop and when I wanted to remove it I found it warmer than I was expecting. But, then again without a proper measurement of the temperature, it's impossible to say.

Originally recorded at 35.5 Mbps in 1080p/30fps ( trimmed using Youtube's editor) ...

Yes, the video quality is poor ( heat related?).

Original recorded at 34 Mbps in 720p/60fps ( camera stopped recording after one 5 minute clip) ...

Last edited:
It looks out of focus to me - I've got to wait for my case to dry before I can test this but I've sharpened it up a little bit I think from what I can see on the small screen here.

I ran the camera for four hours at 48Mbps and yes it was hot but survived so far :)

Tobby I just took my G90 apart and started hacking at the glue without trying to twist - I got a little bit of the glue off but it turns out the lens turns freely anyway
Thanks @reverend. I haven't yet disassembled my dashcam, but I hope it will be the same.

I've got to wait for my case to dry before I can test this but I've sharpened it up a little bit I think from what I can see on the small screen here.
What kind of glue did you use to fix it back ? If necessary to fix the dashcam by myself, I'm thinking of using a silicone stick.
TZwPKNPrkiWi1WTf

Originally recorded at 35.5 Mbps in 1080p/30fps ( trimmed using Youtube's editor) .
My videos were recorded at 1080p/50fps (because it's PAL and I have the A7LA70). Your examples have really bad quality (even at close distance):
DrAbM9axadZ0TUcA

heat related?
Do you think the battery becomes warmer (to hot) with the time/age ? (and this affects the lenses)

To be honest I've not got to the point of locking it back on yet as I need to adjust it further (I've brought focus too close at the moment!)

I'm actually thinking of replacing the plastic mount completely and replacing with a locking screw - however I don't know if the new combination is going to fit in the housing. Hopefully it should arrive by the end of next week so I can have a proper play :)

OK I just focussed it - it's actually a very small adjustment to get it just right and much easier if you just hook up a mini HDMI cable so you can do the focus adjustment live.

I try to refocus my camera also since it's so popular hobby, but i'm not convinced that i got it any sharper than it was. One thing though i noticed, focus setting is very precise, it would be a good idea to attach some kind of lever so you could use like clock face minutes to set it right.
I don't know what would be best focus spot, 10, 20 or 30 meters?

Yeah you're not kidding - I thought I'd read that you could turn these things a quarter turn for a small adjustment but it's far from that!

I think some of it comes down to personal preference - mine was initially very sharp really close up from the dashboard onwards, whereas now it's much softer up really close but better longer as I've moved the focal range like you say.

It's not a massive difference but definitely a bit better than it was.

I notice there's still a lot of chroma noise - whether that's a trait of the sensor, lens or image processing I don't know yet - I guess I'll know more if the other lens and mount fit :)

focus setting is very precise
you could turn these things a quarter turn for a small adjustment but it's far from that!
If I'll need to make this adjustment, the only solution I can think of is a big tv screen (with zoom option), good light and focus charts (but I don't have a big screen ...in fact I don't have any TV at all :p . It doesn't worth paying 130€/year for the license. So, step 1: find a big screen.)

I don't know what would be best focus spot, 10, 20 or 30 meters?
Probably the best is to adjust the focus as far as possible, but in the same time to easily read the license plates at 2m far from the dashcam (the length of the bonnet+ some space)

To be honest I aimed mine further than 2m - I actually used the house opposite to get my focus in the right sort of ballpark as I was trying things out. At first I focussed until the picture on the G90 screen looked sharpest and this resulted in amazingly sharp footage of my shorts but anything else was blurry. It's definitely a bit of trial and error until you're happy.

Does your PC monitor have an HDMI input you could use?

It's a shame the lenses don't have some very small ridges on the front so you could adjust easily from the outside - on the flipside I'll never clean another lens in a clockwise or anticlockwise fashion as I understand how you can incorrectly adjust focus easily!

@reverend put some markings on the edge of the lens and on the plastic around the lens, it'll make the focusing trial and error process easier. I use white tyre marker pen, or you may scratch them with a pin or something.

Back