Garmin 57 review

Amazon cash for comment reviews

Redditors, Amazon, etc.

I have complete faith the @SawMaster does not fall into that category, for sure there are some reviews where the reviewer has some bias, whether they acknowledge it or not, some are just money making ventures and all about affiliate marketing

I do, too. I wasn't implying @SawMaster was a shill. I meant a lot of companies hand out products to "favorable reviewers", who often spend 10 minutes with the product, and then sing praise. Problem is this misleads uninformed buyers into thinking the product is something it's not.

Companies would benefit far more giving their products out for review and soliciting honest feedback in order to make improvements. Over misleading people and winding up with an unhappy consumer base.

I'd say most reviewers on here spend a lot more than 10 minutes with the product and then sing praise...

The majority of us do spend hours, and a lot of petrol money, as we drive around in various conditions and at different times to see the results.

There have been few new models muted in 2021 as yet - I've not been contacted (nor would I expect to be by right) and I have not seen news of any forthcoming dashcams on technical sites elsewhere.

Some reviewers do amazingly in depth reviews - more than I can manage - and I read theirs with great interest -some of the lads here have a technical knowledge far greater than I have and it does make for very good reading.

Phil's review here has had me look back it at 3 time since Saturday to look at it.

Paul.

Thanks to everyone for your support. It means a lot to me and it helps motivate me to try and do better :love:

Garmin sent this for review asking me on their own motivation, no mention was made of beta testing as I think this is the finished product they intended. There is some overlap between those two aspects and of course I'll let them know if I discover any problems, as well as send them a short synopsis of my thoughts and findings when I'm done. I unexpectedly found myself having today off so I should have this review finished today except for a long-term follow-up. I've already got 4 hours into this project so far not counting drive time just to get you what you see at this point and I haven't even begun with it's features. I'm darn sure glad work was cancelled today- I wasn't looking forward to trying to do something decent with this after coming home body and brain dead after a day's work :eek: Now off to getting the rest of this project done :)

Phil

I think for any sane person it would be natural to want to return a favor, like for instance a free camera, or should that be "free"
I do think this is one of the reasons while i still to this day feel like i dont do quite right by the people that have put their trust in me by sending me a product.
On the other hand going off and you can well cut that person / brand more slack and so be biased in your review / work you do for the brand.

What please me the most in what i do is that i get actual brand / model knowledge and can use that to help people, that have the model, or is looking to get something, even if i have a times recommended systems i have had no personal use with, but then i have leaned on other knowledgeable people in here.

Anyway if anyone feel like i could do better in what i do, i trust they would say so, cuz it is also pretty natural some times to be caught up in your own little echo chamber thinking everything is just dandy.

I'd say most reviewers on here spend a lot more than 10 minutes with the product and then sing praise...

The majority of us do spend hours, and a lot of petrol money, as we drive around in various conditions and at different times to see the results.

There have been few new models muted in 2021 as yet - I've not been contacted (nor would I expect to be by right) and I have not seen news of any forthcoming dashcams on technical sites elsewhere.

Some reviewers do amazingly in depth reviews - more than I can manage - and I read theirs with great interest -some of the lads here have a technical knowledge far greater than I have and it does make for very good reading.

Phil's review here has had me look back it at 3 time since Saturday to look at it.

Paul.

Honest, Truthful, and Thorough Reviews on DCT - YES. On Places like Reddit, Amazon, etc NO.

@SawMaster My first post here... Thanks for this review. I also have a Garmin 57 and installed it with the constant power adapter using OBD II port.

Question: When I use a voice prompt like "OK Garmin -- Save video" does it save the video from when I started driving, or does it save a clip from the time I used the voice prompt?

I think saying that is like pressing a event button, so probably just a short buffer from before you say anything and then some seconds after.
BUT ! i am assuming here, not familiar with the brand or model.

I think saying that is like pressing a event button, so probably just a short buffer from before you say anything and then some seconds after.
BUT ! i am assuming here, not familiar with the brand or model.
Thank you! I checked and you are correct. It saves 1 minute before and 2 minutes after.

Will you be watching England v Denmark tomorrow? It will be a good game!

No i have not watched a full soccer game since the late 80ties, that sport and its fans never really did it for me, i am more into motorsports and individual sports, often with a element of precision in it like shooting / darts ASO, i have even been seen watching a game of Golf now and then.
Also i have been without a TV for over a year now as what is available on it VS price for both flow and streaming dont interest me ( i am on a pension )

:) I was 45 when i got my first TV, 9 years later it was gone again ( now carry my friends CCTV system )

1 + 2 minutes,,,,, thats pretty sweet VS the seconds many deal in.

No i have not watched a full soccer game since the late 80ties, that sport and its fans never really did it for me, i am more into motorsports and individual sports, often with a element of precision in it like shooting / darts ASO, i have even been seen watching a game of Golf now and then.
Also i have been without a TV for over a year now as what is available on it VS price for both flow and streaming dont interest me ( i am on a pension )

:) I was 45 when i got my first TV, 9 years later it was gone again ( now carry my friends CCTV system )

1 + 2 minutes,,,,, thats pretty sweet VS the seconds many deal in.
It is just as well then… We will be cheering for England, and we’re all excited since they defeated Germany and Ukraine, but Denmark is a sentimental favorite because of Christian Eriksen.

I used to do a lot of trap/skeet and sporting clays but as I got older I didn’t enjoy it so much. Now I like Formula One. Do you?

@SawMaster My first post here... Thanks for this review. I also have a Garmin 57 and installed it with the constant power adapter using OBD II port.

Question: When I use a voice prompt like "OK Garmin -- Save video" does it save the video from when I started driving, or does it save a clip from the time I used the voice prompt?
It will save previous clip + current + next = 3 minutes.

You mention that it is a fairly small camera. Is the screen hard to read?

Can you turn ADAS off?

You mention that it is a fairly small camera. Is the screen hard to read?

Can you turn ADAS off?
I don’t find it difficult to read. Most things that need to be read appear in large font.
And yes, you can turn off all ADAS functions or pick and choose.

One reason I chose the 57 over the 47 is that the 57 records at 60 frames per minute (fps). At 40 miles per hour, you are traveling at almost 60 feet per second. The 47 records at 30 fps so at 40 mph that's two feet recorded every second. I would rather have one foot recorded every second. Also, I didn't want the distortion or fish eye appearance of the 67w. I hope this helps.

edit: correct spelling

Last edited:
One reason I chose the 57 over the 47 is that the 57 records at 60 frames per minute (fps). At 40 miles per hour, you are traveling at almost 60 feet per second. The 47 records at 30 fps so at 40 mph that's two feet recorded every second. I would rather have one foot recorded every second. Also, I didn't want to distortion or fish eye appearance of the 67w. I hope this helps.

A bit off topic, but it may be beneficial to people who are new to DCT and read this thread to post an image capture of the Garmin 57's field of view versus the "Fish Eye" of the 47. Even if the 47 comparison is a shot from the web vs a shot from your 57. It'll guide people with their future purchases on why the 57 may be a better choice.

A bit off topic, but it may be beneficial to people who are new to DCT and read this thread to post an image capture of the Garmin 57's field of view versus the "Fish Eye" of the 47. Even if the 47 comparison is a shot from the web vs a shot from your 57. It'll guide people with their future purchases on why the 57 may be a better choice.
Sure... so here's a youtube video showing a side-by-side comparison. The video is made with Garmin 56 & 66w however the Field of View is what you asked to see. Garmin Dash Cam 140º vs 180º field of view

Just added some night-time footage/ comparisons. I should have cleaned my windshield first but they're OK. Remember my old van uses halogen sealed beams, not high-powered LED headlights, so your nighttime results may vary. Unless something else comes up with this cam worth reporting I think my review is finally complete :cool:

And thanks to those who've provided answers and assistance while I was away from my computer. It's good people like y'all that make DCT a great site to be a part of (y)

Phil

I've just edited the "Parking section to correct the info there. Basically you no longer need a special cable for parking mode.

Phil

Looks like Garmin 57 have same issues in dark time- grainy videos... forget about details in dark time. Oh well... back to Garmin 56 :confused:

Back