Garmin dashcam mini quality terrible!?!

Luno Papi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So it’s meant to be 1080p, but when I plug it into my pc and download the video it looks horrible like it’s 360p.

I’ve got a decent card in there Samsung evo, updated the thing set to 1080p what am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are you sure you DL the right file / files, some cameras have a SD video they generally use for wifi to a APP.
But it have been a while since i have seen that i must admit.

are you sure you DL the right file / files, some cameras have a SD video they generally use for wifi to a APP.
But it have been a while since i have seen that i must admit.

Yeah I did check that not the preview quality file (I think that’s why that file exists) definitely the mp4 file.

I’ve actually had it for nearly a year, and this is the first time I’ve actually wanted to download a video because of what it captured and it’s such poor quality. Definitely not 1080p that’s for sure.

Alright so I bought two of these things one for my car and one for mrs car. I went and got hers out and to my surprise it looks like 1080p quality video!!

I went through both multiple times checking and unchecking settings doing the exact same thing and mine is still looking like 360p video. Interestingly enough mine says made in Taiwan on it while hers says made in China?? So either the Taiwan made on is dodgy and that’s why they swapped to China or mine is simply just faulty? Maybe an auto focus or something.

But atleast I can stop pulling my hair out and just take it back and swap it over to another. It’s less than a year old and came from a good store who should swap it over.

All later Garmin dashcams record HD and low res (for preview) videos.
I suspect you are viewing the low res ones. Eject the SD card and put it in your computer and you will see both sets of files (mp4 are hi res and glv low res)

All later Garmin dashcams record HD and low res (for preview) videos.
I suspect you are viewing the low res ones. Eject the SD card and put it in your computer and you will see both sets of files (mp4 are hi res and glv low res)

Na man not sure if you read my above posts? I detailed that part that I looked at the correct file. I am definitely looking at the supposed hi res, not the low res. I have compared both minis and one is recording terrible and one isn’t so I can’t just be looking at the wrong file randomly on one. I am looking at the mp4. I believe that one isn’t focusing correctly.

Right click on a mp4 and check the resolution in properties.

Na man not sure if you read my above posts? I detailed that part that I looked at the correct file. I am definitely looking at the supposed hi res, not the low res. I have compared both minis and one is recording terrible and one isn’t so I can’t just be looking at the wrong file randomly on one. I am looking at the mp4. I believe that one isn’t focusing correctly.

possible it has lost focus, post some screenshots from each camera

Right click on a mp4 and check the resolution in properties.

Will give it a go when I get back in 15 thanks. But surely i am doing it right if one of the minis looks like 1080p and the other looks like it’s 360p?

possible it has lost focus, post some screenshots from each camera

Yeah I will do in 15 when I get back home thank!! I did loose most of its previous stuff, because of trying to reformat the memory card to see if that was a problem but have small clips from sitting in the driveway looking at a work van with writing on the side of it parked across the street. One cam you can definitely read the writing the other is just a pixelated blurry mess.

pretty much the same image both cams both stills from the mp4 file of both cams. both use the exact same memory card and I even tried using the same memory card in both to see if that made a difference it didnt.

Ok just plugged the one from mrs car into computer had it in my car this morning. The original from my car is definitely faulty. It’s just blurry so probably an auto focus thing the footage from this morning is as I would expect from 1080p

night video is never good for judging focus but it does look like the focus is way off, there's no auto focus, they're fixed focus so it looks as though the focus has shifted (assuming it was previously ok)

night video is never good for judging focus but it does look like the focus is way off, there's no auto focus, they're fixed focus so it looks as though the focus has shifted (assuming it was previously ok)

Yeah I really don’t know I set it up and have never looked at the video until now. I think it’s gotta be something weird and it’s under warranty so I’ll just take it back. I may even upgrade the mini to something with say 2k camera as well if the store will let me do something like that.

if you never checked it then it's possible that the focus was never set correctly to begin with and it has always been like that, either way it's not right and you should get it replaced

if you never checked it then it's possible that the focus was never set correctly to begin with and it has always been like that, either way it's not right and you should get it replaced

Yeah I only checked the preview on the app, it was a bit blurry but assumed that’s just the wireless connection to the app and a quick preview. Thanks for your replies!

Back