Gator dash cams

Here's a couple of attachments to see what you think of it.
Well I can't see anything on the 4K that isn't on the 2K, while the 2K is making use of most of the pixels, so seems likely that it is a 2K sensor.
There should be twice the detail on the 4K, so clearly it is failing as a 4K dashcam.

A real 4K image using all the pixels from the Viofo A129 Pro:
y4mCRFphALnpTzsec_R9LYTfqHBWgBog_w6wlgsFmk-5m9Pt6O2bxL2h1MS-BfSGfz4WPGHUtBkgd05bkZXa7kQxAk4bbEMD1uXCYBlzOVadWUZRxiIiqh6--RYoML9PnCP7ougyibyQCl-biYLdfNJx_fUKC0QKdBLSgH210XUWJTQWl_Z-oWdGZ7b9-zDFUZs

If you're happy with the results, then it doesn't matter if the cam lives up to it's 4K claims or not. If you're not happy with the results then try a return, but don't expect it to be easy and quick as they will probably want to see something visibly wrong with the cameras before approving the RMA.

Phil
Well, I bought it for the 4k claim and of course the fluff that would say I would get crystal clear definition recording.....and if it turns out its not *exactly* 4k in the traditional sense, and is just upscaled 2560x1440 resolution(or whatever its upscaled from), then that's false advertisement.....

Well I can't see anything on the 4K that isn't on the 2K, while the 2K is making use of most of the pixels, so seems likely that it is a 2K sensor.
There should be twice the detail on the 4K, so clearly it is failing as a 4K dashcam.

A real 4K image using all the pixels from the Viofo A129 Pro:
y4mCRFphALnpTzsec_R9LYTfqHBWgBog_w6wlgsFmk-5m9Pt6O2bxL2h1MS-BfSGfz4WPGHUtBkgd05bkZXa7kQxAk4bbEMD1uXCYBlzOVadWUZRxiIiqh6--RYoML9PnCP7ougyibyQCl-biYLdfNJx_fUKC0QKdBLSgH210XUWJTQWl_Z-oWdGZ7b9-zDFUZs
Hmmmm, your shot is no different to mine when I resize yours down to 2560x1440 and zoom in to comparable levels and compare...see my attachments. Maybe you also have fake 4k too (or we both have real ones) or I'm blind to see any extra detail loss from the 3840x2160 to 2560x1440 transition....
cross.pngcross2.png

Hmmm, flicking back and forth and only noticeable difference between the two resolution sizes is a slight change in the bottom right corner area.....? Does that count or not really?

Last edited:
I see considerable difference all over the place between those two frames. Much more detail in the one on top.

Dashcams and false claims go together. Few of the claimed 'features' work as they should if they work at all. Happens even with the highest priced cams, all the way down to the cheapest. So while you may be right about "false advertising" regards this cam being true 4K, they might counter with telling you that they consider interpolated 4K to meet their advertising standards since many other cam companies do that too.

With dashcams it's best to not believe claims until you see independent truth from others who own and use the cam in question ;)

Phil

I see considerable difference all over the place between those two frames. Much more detail in the one on top.

Dashcams and false claims go together. Few of the claimed 'features' work as they should if they work at all. Happens even with the highest priced cams, all the way down to the cheapest. So while you may be right about "false advertising" regards this cam being true 4K, they might counter with telling you that they consider interpolated 4K to meet their advertising standards since many other cam companies do that too.

With dashcams it's best to not believe claims until you see independent truth from others who own and use the cam in question ;)

Phil
Ah yes you're right, I see some too now now that I'm awake! ...I must have been too tired to see the difference last night...sorry.....:shy:

So you reckon I should just suck it up as a "Should have researched your **** instead of oogling the pretty box and claims of features, before laying out the dough" lesson? Or should I try and see what happens? Hahahaha... And then maybe get myself one of the true 4K UHD cams on here....like the A129 Pro since it has an optional 1080p120 option whenever I feel like adventuring...heh...?

Actually, how great is the 120fps recording at 1080p, Nigel? Should probably research this before I jump it again....and get disappointed...hahaha

I think mine might be upscaled 720p.....coz I dont see any detail lost between the original 2160p shot and the resized 720p shot:

Upscale720.pngUpscale720`.png

I dont know, I need some fresh eyes, someone with more of a pixel peeper than me.......what do you guys think? Top one is original 2160p shot, bottom is resized 720p shot.

Actually, how great is the 120fps recording at 1080p, Nigel?
For dashcam video, 30 fps is sufficient, especially with higher definition cameras where you don't need to wait until things are within 1 meter before you can see them clearly.

The vast majority of cameras that provide 120fps do a poor job of it, doesn't matter if it is a dashcam, an action camera, iPhone, or a DSLR.

I dont know, I need some fresh eyes, someone with more of a pixel peeper than me.......what do you guys think? Top one is original 2160p shot, bottom is resized 720p shot.
I think you need to clean your window and start with a nice sharp image with plenty of detail and good lighting!
You have lost details at 720, although they are surprisingly close!

The vast majority of cameras that provide 120fps do a poor job of it, doesn't matter if it is a dashcam, an action camera, iPhone, or a DSLR.
....soooooo, you're 120fps mode is crappy? Do you have a sample to upload on here so I can check it out for myself, please?

I think you need to clean your window and start with a nice sharp image with plenty of detail and good lighting!
You have lost details at 720, although they are surprisingly close!
Yes....I do.....lots of bird crap all over....ewwuuuggghhhhhh....

Need to do some night time driving to test out how my upscaled 2160p goes at night....with and without WDR if it even makes a difference....

Unless you have a Formula 1 car, you don't need 120fps, and even then you don't really need it! More resolution is more useful.

Again I'm seeing noticeable differences. Look art the sidewalk to the left of the SUV and the back of the car on the far right. The blockiness of 720 is clear there. Sharpness is most visible where there's a line between darker and lighter colors, in tree limbs, signposts, number plates, etc. Windshield cleanliness is mandatory before any real comparisons or evaluations can be made- think of it as a lens element. You wouldn't use a smudged or dirty lens expecting good results would you?

You're free to try whatever you wish, but my approach is to begin with default settings, with bitrates and resolution middle or mid-high, then go upward from there. If you start anything on the highest settings it makes it hard to have anything to compare the losses or gains to. So if you're looking to see what 120FPS can do, first get everything set best at 60FPS , then bump the shutter speed up from there. Once you've done that, play with the other settings one at a time and in smallish increments to see what happens. And don't forget to check again at night, as you might need a compromise setting to get good vids both ways.

I also agree with Nigel- 60FPS is probably all you need and with many cams it often doesn't work as good as 30FPS does. It gives the pixels less time to gather light when you raise FPS, so you can get darker images or oversharpened ones. Adjustinmg exposure to compensate can make things look worse in shadows and at night. And TBH, these kinds of cams just aren't made for such high-performance work- they're not high-cost DSLR's even though the principles may be the same. Once you pass the optimum point of any cam component things get worse. That's why many of us are running lower resolutions and shutter-speeds than the highest settings we have available to us. About the only thing which works better when 'run hard' is bitrates, and even that can lead to cam overheating and unreliable recording when pushed too hard.

Phil

Unless you have a Formula 1 car, you don't need 120fps, and even then you don't really need it! More resolution is more useful.
I have a drag car, does that count? :p

Nah, but I still am curious as to what 120fps looks like on your unit.....so if you could kinda please post a sample.....for a couple of minutes duration, to quench my thirst for 120fps goodness..... :shy: Probably use mega or google drive or any file hosting site that doesnt limit as I dont believe youtube has an option to playback 120fps mode....

Again I'm seeing noticeable differences. Look art the sidewalk to the left of the SUV and the back of the car on the far right. The blockiness of 720 is clear there. Sharpness is most visible where there's a line between darker and lighter colors, in tree limbs, signposts, number plates, etc. Windshield cleanliness is mandatory before any real comparisons or evaluations can be made- think of it as a lens element. You wouldn't use a smudged or dirty lens expecting good results would you?

You're free to try whatever you wish, but my approach is to begin with default settings, with bitrates and resolution middle or mid-high, then go upward from there. If you start anything on the highest settings it makes it hard to have anything to compare the losses or gains to. So if you're looking to see what 120FPS can do, first get everything set best at 60FPS , then bump the shutter speed up from there. Once you've done that, play with the other settings one at a time and in smallish increments to see what happens. And don't forget to check again at night, as you might need a compromise setting to get good vids both ways.

I also agree with Nigel- 60FPS is probably all you need and with many cams it often doesn't work as good as 30FPS does. It gives the pixels less time to gather light when you raise FPS, so you can get darker images or oversharpened ones. Adjustinmg exposure to compensate can make things look worse in shadows and at night. And TBH, these kinds of cams just aren't made for such high-performance work- they're not high-cost DSLR's even though the principles may be the same. Once you pass the optimum point of any cam component things get worse. That's why many of us are running lower resolutions and shutter-speeds than the highest settings we have available to us. About the only thing which works better when 'run hard' is bitrates, and even that can lead to cam overheating and unreliable recording when pushed too hard.

Phil
Hmmm, if I can't see a difference then I guess resolution talk probably doesn't really matter to me then....other than it being a mathematical thorn...but I guess as long as I can see everything in the video with crystal clear definition.....

You can't set the bitrates on the Gators....there's no option...unless its on the smartphone app.... The only middle is 1440p30, and low would be 1080p30 or 1080p60. There is also no shutter speed option, unless that again is on the smartphone app....oh wait you're talking about the A129 Pro Duo unit, not my G4KDVR20?

So we should all rig a high cost DSLR as a dashcam in our cars? Hahaha

Oh well- there's no hope for some folks. For everyone else it doesn't seem like the "Gator" is a worthwhile purchase.

Phil

Oh well- there's no hope for some folks. For everyone else it doesn't seem like the "Gator" is a worthwhile purchase.

Phil
Well is less expensive than the other units I guess....not sure how it compares to other *fake* 4K UHD units though....maybe the features compensates for the extra cost? Or not really? How much would you pay for a fake 4K UHD cam? Or how much do you reckon this particular Gator cam is worth to you?

Back