GITUP GIT2 Review Mode Questions

shredder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The file naming convention for mp4 files seems to be YYYY_MMDD_HHMMSS_nnn where nnn is some sort of seqential number.

I noticed a couple of things:-

1. When reviewing files sequentially on cam the files (repeated Shutter press) it does always show files in sequence (according to file name anyway). It looks like when Review mode is selected it starts with most recent and works back. Anyway it does not follow either date+time sequence or sequence number sequence so I don't know what its logic is (GITUP?)

2. The filename time HHMM and file time stamp on sdcard do not agree many times. Sometimes the difference is quite a few minutes (file name is always less). I would have expected these to correspond exactly.

3. I had some files with the sequence number nnn suffixed with A. What does that indicate?

4. I have only used cam on a couple of test sessions but can see the number of files on sdcard will quickly get very big - particularly if as I was doing keep truning cam on/off (just to capture exciting bits of ride). Scrolling thru all these sequentially would be a real pain. I would suggest in some future firmware release there is improved navigation e.g. by date, forwards/backwards...

1. i bet the logic on-camera is that you want to make sure the clip you just recorded worked right before you record another.

2. i think it's named when the file is created, not when it's finished.

3. i haven't seen this on mine. do you have G-sensor turned on? maybe that's what it is? i turned it off in my camera - otherwise it'll probably get triggered in every file. :p

4. navigation will depend on what software you use on your PC. you might try dashcam software like Registrator Viewer - i think it has options like what you want here.

@Gibson99
1. Yes logically user wants to view most recent file - I agree - its the sewuwnce thats screwed up (or I dont understand)
2. The creation start date/time is most logical for both. If it is time stamping the file with finish time that gets confusing - especially when you have a lot of file you are looking at.
3. G Sensor is off. Gyro was on for some files but that does not correspond to those with A suffix.
4. I was referring to the builtin review features using 3 cam buttons. I agree using PC software is easy but sometimes you only have the cam when you want to find something.

1. yeah i don't pay much attention to the 3 digit number at the end as like you said, it doesn't mean much. maybe it increments until the camera is turned off, or mode changed to still photo/review/menu?

2. filename and timestamp are beholden to the filesystem, not teh camera. the file COULD be renamed when recording is stopped (or it reaches the 2gb max size and begins another file) but they don't do that to prevent possible bugs or file loss. the timestamp is set by the filesystem (not the camera) as the last time the file was modified. so that's why the filename and timestamp don't match.

3. i have to go look but i don't think i have the A suffix on any of my files. but i also don't have the newest december firmware installed yet.

4. ah - i try to avoid reviewing files on the camera because it's so cumbersome using just the 3 buttons. but then i also use 64gb cards in my cameras (i have both a git1 and a git2 which operate very similar), so i'm not too worried about deleting bad recordings to save space. i'd have to have like 6 batteries to be able to fill a 64gb card. :D

1. yeah i don't pay much attention to the 3 digit number at the end as like you said, it doesn't mean much. maybe it increments until the camera is turned off, or mode changed to still photo/review/menu?
I assume that after hours, minutes and seconds, it is milliseconds.

I assume that after hours, minutes and seconds, it is milliseconds.
no, it's sequential and always starts with 001, but the pattern as to when it decides to start at 001 again isn't very obvious. to me the number at the end isn't very useful, but it doesn't hurt anything, so i just ignore it.

no, it's sequential and always starts with 001, but the pattern as to when it decides to start at 001 again isn't very obvious. to me the number at the end isn't very useful, but it doesn't hurt anything, so i just ignore it.

the OS needs those numbers for recycling purposes

the OS needs those numbers for recycling purposes

So would you know what A suffix on number means and is sort key for files meant to be date & time or is there some hidden component to sort key which explains why my files are not all in sequence?

So would you know what A suffix on number means and is sort key for files meant to be date & time or is there some hidden component to sort key which explains why my files are not all in sequence?

the A I'm not sure, will have some relevance but it's not my product so I'm not familiar with any changes they have implemented in the firmware

4. I have only used cam on a couple of test sessions but can see the number of files on sdcard will quickly get very big - particularly if as I was doing keep truning cam on/off (just to capture exciting bits of ride). Scrolling thru all these sequentially would be a real pain. I would suggest in some future firmware release there is improved navigation e.g. by date, forwards/backwards...
It only has 3 buttons, so it is very difficult to implement the forwards/backwards while playback.
If you always turning on/off camera, I suggest you try the quick start capture option, you can enable it system settings menu.

Regarding the file name, I will check if there is specific technical document to explain that.

I don't have any 'A' on any of my files.

I see the final 3 digits can become 4 if you pass 999.

Back