Goal: Access A139 with Station Mode

Viofo have been very active, but something have indeed changed in the last month, so much so i am a bit worried for the guys out there.
You will find it very easy to name other companies, that pretty much do not care or are not even here on the forum.

I cant tell how much of my more or less naive ideas for dashcams jokiin and the community here in general have listened to, and often shot down quick, not from lack of interest but most often of it simply not being possible with the hardware.
Or what i like pretty much no one else ask for, so not worth the effort to implement.

I wonder if Viofo is listening on the L shaped / 90 degree Cable. I went to look at A139 3ch stock (not yet bought one). And says both on Amazon their website it's unavailable. So wonder if just low stock due to covid or they heard the suggestions from people here. Speculation of course, nothing stated to lead one to this conclusion just curious.

Far as Live View, I doubt Viofo has plans for a cloud solution. So that's why a 3rd party work around was a thought.

I wonder if Viofo is listening on the L shaped / 90 degree Cable. I went to look at A139 3ch stock (not yet bought one). And says both on Amazon their website it's unavailable. So wonder if just low stock due to covid or they heard the suggestions from people here. Speculation of course, nothing stated to lead one to this conclusion just curious.

Far as Live View, I doubt Viofo has plans for a cloud solution. So that's why a 3rd party work around was a thought.
Yes, they listen.
However on the 90 degree cable, it is not quite as simple as you might expect!

As for the stock, I get the impression that the A139 might be selling rather better than expected, there are a surprising number of people wanting 2 channel, or even 1 channel versions in place of A129, so I'm guessing that they didn't make enough!

For the cloud, what is really needed is for some third party company to produce a dashcam cloud and associated app, that will work with Viofo and many other dashcam brands, then there might be a decent business case for it. So far that sort of thing doesn't seem to have been doing too well though, most people are happy with standard dashcams with no cloud connectivity, and even people who specifically buy cloud dashcams like Blackvue often don't use all the cloud functionality or keep up their subscriptions.

Here's another twisted idea on how to do it, an Android phone that is connected with 4G and WiFi to your dashcam, and using a script on Termux (basically Linux) on your phone it would automatically get the latest recordings and send them to an FTP server.

Viofo have been very active, but something have indeed changed in the last month, so much so i am a bit worried for the guys out there.
I wouldn't read too much into it, they've never been very active, there is however plenty of activity in the Viofo sections and they post occasionally, sometimes once a week, sometimes once a month they'll add a few replies

Yes, they listen.

As for the stock, I get the impression that the A139 might be selling rather better than expected, there are a surprising number of people wanting 2 channel, or even 1 channel versions in place of A129, so I'm guessing that they didn't make enough!

For the cloud, what is really needed is for some third party company to produce a dashcam cloud and associated app, that will work with Viofo and many other dashcam brands, then there might be a decent business case for it. So far that sort of thing doesn't seem to have been doing too well though, most people are happy with standard dashcams with no cloud connectivity, and even people who specifically buy cloud dashcams like Blackvue often don't use all the cloud functionality or keep up their subscriptions.

@kamkar stated his beta came with an L shaped cable. So Viofo did have at least limited production on them.

Overall, Viofo does make a good mid level product that's reliable in the inclement weather (very cold and very hot) - At least as far as the A129 is concerned. The comments regarding the A139 seem generally favorable, too.

I guess it really depends. Far as the Blackvue 4g LTE modem, that requires a cell phone operator sim card. Does the cloud connectivity come at a monthly fee?

Cloud connectivity does give one an extra level of protection. Say Police wrongdoing or an accident, the video is sent to a secondary storage. So the sim card can't be tampered with and the video erased.

I wouldn't read too much into it, they've never been very active, there is however plenty of activity in the Viofo sections and they post occasionally, sometimes once a week, sometimes once a month they'll add a few replies

Our of curiosity, does street guardian have plans to branch into the 3 channel or cloud connectivity market? Seems the 3 channel market is wide open with few competitors.

I guess it really depends. Far as the Blackvue 4g LTE modem, that requires a cell phone operator sim card. Does the cloud connectivity come at a monthly fee?
they give some small amount of free access, might be 10 minutes a month or something like that, if you want more you have to pay a monthly subscription fee

Our of curiosity, does street guardian have plans to branch into the 3 channel or cloud connectivity market? Seems the 3 channel market is wide open with few competitors.
not looking at 3 channel at this time, remote access is something we've been working on already

@kamkar stated his beta came with an L shaped cable. So Viofo did have at least limited production on them.
Yes, making the cables is not the issue, or the functionality.

And VIOFO do know that people would like the 90 degree version; don’t expect one to become available in the near future though.

Yes, they listen.

I wish there was a 90 degree cable because now I’m paranoid the rear camera is eventually going to break!

As for the cloud you are spot on. Seems like a potential business opportunity for a third party to work with the camera manufacturers to offer a service. Could be worthwhile monetarily for them either via charging a subscription or some type of advertising revenue integrated.

Overall, Viofo does make a good mid level product that's reliable in the inclement weather (very cold and very hot) - At least as far as the A129 is concerned. The comments regarding the A139 seem generally favorable, too.

Cloud connectivity does give one an extra level of protection. Say Police wrongdoing or an accident, the video is sent to a secondary storage. So the sim card can't be tampered with and the video erased.

It’s kind of too late even if an L shaped cable is offered to those who already bought the camera and had it installed because it would be very intensive to swap out.

Regarding the cloud connectivity the reasons you state are exactly why I want the feature. I didn’t do my homework to be honest and thought it was possible with Viofo. Oh well maybe in the future :)

Also, I would pay a monthly / annual fee as long as it was reasonable.

It’s kind of too late even if an L shaped cable is offered to those who already bought the camera and had it installed because it would be very intensive to swap out.

Regarding the cloud connectivity the reasons you state are exactly why I want the feature. I didn’t do my homework to be honest and thought it was possible with Viofo. Oh well maybe in the future :)

Also, I would pay a monthly / annual fee as long as it was reasonable.

Well it is "possible" to have live view remotely. Again, you could either root an android phone and run a hotspot + vpn or invest in a configurable lte modem. Those options I presume would work.

Far as investing in a camera with cloud and easy connectivity, it would have doubled your price as we'd discussed. Neither blackvue nor thinkware offer a 3 camera setup. So you'd have to run a Dr750 or 900 2 Channel with a $150 USD LTE Modem + install a single channel camera to get interior with another $150 LTE Modem. Plus, you would be paying a subscription fee per month to view that footage according to @jokiin.

So honestly, your $285 + 350 install (Viofo A139) would be more like a $1400 project (cameras + install) with a contiguous monthly fee. Far above what you stated you were willing to invest.

Chances are, your camera will do everything you need from it without ever needing cloud or remote live view. I've had my camera capture 2 accidents and one debris flying into my car incident.

At some point this summer, I will be ripping out the Zenfox T3. Damn thing drops the interior camera on "hot days". And by hot, not even close to summer like weather. Just a pain in the ass to rip everything apart and redo my setup. Dragging feat. That's the exact reason an installer would give your camera cable slack without cost (their fault), but not redo the whole install with an L Shaped / 90 degree cable if one is released.

The process to install a camera is time consuming to take everything off and run the cable.

not looking at 3 channel at this time, remote access is something we've been working on already

Why no 3 channel? You guys looking into doing remote access via a cloud configuration?

I wouldn't buy 3 channel, at least not front / rear / cabin type, but maybe a front / L side / R side, or front wide / front tele / rear.

it's a limited market

I defer to your marketing expertise here. However, I would think there is sizeable market for 3 channel cameras.

1. Uber / Lyft Drivers to record passengers.
2. Record police interactions (Big thing with the United States making news lately it seems)
3. Capture a greater surrounding view in the event of an accident.

If marketed properly, I see a sizeable revenue stream. Maybe I'm a bit bias, having garnered the benefit of being hit and my dash camera capturing it all.

there is a market, just not a large enough one to support multiple options, in some markets single channel still outsells two channel by a large amount

Most of those do not apply in Denmark.

1: ride share companies are not legal here.
2: cops not really a problem here in that sense, though they are not as good as one would like.
3: i dont feel the interior cam add to anything in a normal setting, aside for claims like " he was on the phone i saw it"

They are welcome to examine my phone and see screen time / what apps used how much, which are all record low for a Dane, possible championship low for a person that actually have a phone.
Anyway looking at those parameters and the fact i have no social apps installed, or to a large degree no aftermarket apps at all installed.

there is a market, just not a large enough one to support multiple options, in some markets single channel still outsells two channel by a large amount

Hell, I got 2 cameras running my my mother's car. She's 70 years old. She'd tell me about how she was driving and there was a bad driver on the road. (Shes got a Gecko Gear 950 F/R and an A129 Duo. No interior camera just cause I haven't even gotten around to swapping out the Zenfox Yet on mine.

Point aside, I've said hey mom, I can show you that driver (pops out memory card) and plays video. Didn't take her long to understand what and why a Dash camera is beneficial. If my 70 year old mother can see the "light", I would think some marketing could convince others the real value of a 3 channel setup.

I bet if I offered to do a 3 channel option for my mother, she'd be all game. She's glad to have a camera recording at all times now. Even brags to her friends about it LOL.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H A139 68
S A139 3
Back