Good SD test (h2testw) not always the full story

->

While searching for suitable memory cards for my most recent dashcam purchases I found this:
(I've found Samsung cards to be among the best in dashcams but haven't tried one of those mentioned below and I have no connection to Samsung)

Samsung PRO Endurance

• The PRO Endurance is specially built for maximum compatibility with the demanding specs of a wide variety of surveillance & security cams, dash cams, and body cams
  • The PRO Endurance memory card provides the longest lasting performance and exceptional reliability, both critical for today’s continuous recording devices
  • A single PRO Endurance card lasts as long as 25 EVO Plus cards, eliminating the need for frequent replacements and reducing reliability concerns
  • As the industry’s only endurance card to support both 4K and FHD video, the PRO Endurance is the optimal card for today’s 4K and high definition monitoring devices
  • Capable in harsh real-world conditions, it is resistant to magnets, X-rays, water and an extensive range of temperatures

I've been using Samsung memory cards in dash cams for a number of years now with excellent results and I recommend them to others.

Still, it is important to recognize that the above bulleted promotional assertions, which you will find quoted all over the internet are a product of Samsung's marketing department rather than an independent objective analysis.

This might work on sd cards, it shows the slowest speed and also also the access time, not sure if that's reading or writing though

The free version of HDTune is very limited and will only benchmark read performance.

I recently stumbled on a program "DiskMark" that looks promising. The interface is very basic but the information seems solid on the 2 tests I've run so far. It does show Average/Minimum/Maximum times in both numerical and graphic format. Tests can be configured for data 'chunk' size, number of iterations, etc. but I haven't played with it enough to comment any further than that.

The free version of HDTune is very limited and will only benchmark read performance.

Yes, I spotted that when I went to download.
DiskMark looks promising though.

Back