GPS logger base physical dimensions?

speedlever

Reaction score
I'm looking to order an A119v3 and would like to use the GPS logger mount on 3M dual lock tape so the device is transportable. However, I cannot find physical dimensions of the GPS logger unit and don't know if I need to order 1/2 inch or 1 inch 3M dual lock 250 tape.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks.

Hi @speedlever

The physical dimensions of the GPS unit won't help, it's the actual footprint of the pad area that is stuck to the windscreen that you need.

I found that 1 inch wide Dual Lock is sufficient and I cut it to a 40 mm (approx 1 1/2 inch) long strip which is slightly narrower by a few mm than the GPS Mount. You'll need another 40 mm strip of Dual Lock for the windscreen.

I used 3M SJ354B Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener, 25 mm x 2.5 m, Black bought from Amazon UK, but don't know if its working temperature range is good enough for your location.

Edit: I'm getting confused with inch and half-inch, as I usually work in metric!

Regards,

Last edited:
A good old UK measurement for us oldies.

Half inch by 40mm (imperial v metric) :)

Yes K, but you knew exactly what I was talking about! :ROFLMAO: (y)

Hi @speedlever

The physical dimensions of the GPS unit won't help, it's the actual footprint of the pad area that is stuck to the windscreen that you need.

I found that 1/2 inch wide Dual Lock is sufficient and I cut it to a 40 mm (approx 1 1/2 inch) long strip which is slightly narrower by a few mm than the GPS Mount. You'll need another 40 mm strip of Dual Lock for the windscreen.

I used 3M SJ354B Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener, 25 mm x 2.5 m, Black bought from Amazon UK, but don't know if its working temperature range is good enough for your location.

Regards,
Thanks for the info. I found it a little confusing because you mention 1/2 inch, but then state you bought 25mm... ~ 1 inch wide tape. So did you just cut the 25mm wide tape in half, length-wise to obtain the ~1/2 (12.5mm) wide tape you used?

Yes, the dims of the landing pad is what I'm looking for. But can't find anything online that tells me what size it is and the info you provided is conflicting.

Might be easier to by a second GPS mount. Keep in mind that the camera also comes with 2 non GPS mounts.

Sorry @speedlever

It is 1 inch wide (25 mm) Dual Lock Tape that I used.

The description and link were correct, I just got confused as I use mostly metric for units.

...I'm getting confused with inch and half-inch, as I usually work in metric!
I don't understand why. I was under the impression that you folks over on that side of the pond purchase your 2" x 4" lumber in meter lengths. :D

We do, I'm used to imperial width by metric length, which is why I got confused by 25 mm (metric width) by 2.5 m (metric length)! :ROFLMAO: :eek:

Thank goodness I'm not an engineer nor a draughtsman! :ROFLMAO:(y)

Sorry @speedlever

It is 1 inch wide (25 mm) Dual Lock Tape that I used.

The description and link were correct, I just got confused as I use mostly metric for units.
Lol. No worries.

So 25 x 40 mm is about what I need. So for my side of the pond, I need to order 1 inch wide tape instead of the 1/2 inch wide tape.

That's what I needed to know.

At least we're not talking about the Gimli Glider and trying to decide between liters and gallons how much fuel we need!

Might be easier to by a second GPS mount. Keep in mind that the camera also comes with 2 non GPS mounts.
Good point!

Unless the dual lock tape is too loosey-goosey (or should I say wibbly-wobbly for your Whovians?), I'd prefer the removable option. And from what I've read here, the DL tape seems to hold the dash cam pretty securely without much play.

Yes, 25 mm width Dual Lock tape, cut to 40 mm length should do the trick nicely - I've checked those numbers carefully to avoid further embarrassment! :oops:

Be aware that there will be some play into and out of the windscreen (not left/right or up/down) by about 1 mm when using Dual Lock tape. You may notice it when pressing a button, i.e. the menu button when you want to quickly check that the unit has GPS, info on the screen, and the view of the recording. At this point, there will be a slight wobble in the footage. However, when you aren't touching it, the A119 V3 with be securely held with no movement.

Regards,

As long as it doesn't bounce around while recording and make me seasick when I view the file, it should be good. ;)

That would be my concern.

Velcro type products won't sit flush as there is 2 layers of hook and loop and I can see vibration being an issue over less than perfect roads. The supplied wafer thin VHB is a better solution IMO.

The proof will be in the clips. My old Nextbase models used to vibrate because having the camera on a stalk on a ball joint was bad design. The easiest way to detect vibration was to watch the parked windscreen wipers. They clearly showed the problem that wasn't evident by just watching through the windscreen.

Velcro type products won't sit flush as there is 2 layers of hook and loop and I can see vibration being an issue over less than perfect roads. The supplied wafer thin VHB is a better solution IMO.

The proof will be in the clips. My old Nextbase models used to vibrate because having the camera on a stalk on a ball joint was bad design. The easiest way to detect vibration was to watch the parked windscreen wipers. They clearly showed the problem that wasn't evident by just watching through the windscreen.
I was under the impression that using the Dual Lock tape was a common attachment method. Perhaps I misunderstood the usage. IAC, I'll have a choice when all the gear arrives and maybe I'll just stick (no pun intended) with the VHB stock adhesive.

As long as it doesn't bounce around while recording and make me seasick when I view the file, it should be good. ;)

Velcro type products won't sit flush as there is 2 layers of hook and loop and I can see vibration being an issue over less than perfect roads. The supplied wafer thin VHB is a better solution IMO....
I've used both Velcro (industrial strength, can't speak for the consumer level product) and dual-lock for camera mounting. With the Velcro there is some, as in very little, vibration on some road surfaces if you're looking for it. Nothing that's noticeable with casual viewing. With the dual-lock I've never seen any vibration in the videos - period.

An example of front and rear cameras both mounted with dual-lock. Camera is SGX2PRO+ mounted on sensor housing.

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any example footage over some rougher surfaces. That stretch of road looks quite smooth to me and the type of surface that my Nextbases would have coped well with.

Over here, sadly, a lot of roads need a rock solid mount.

I've used both Velcro (industrial strength, can't speak for the consumer level product) and dual-lock for camera mounting. With the Velcro there is some, as in very little, vibration on some road surfaces if you're looking for it. Nothing that's noticeable with casual viewing. With the dual-lock I've never seen any vibration in the videos - period.

An example of front and rear cameras both mounted with dual-lock. Camera is SGX2PRO+ mounted on sensor housing.

Are you using 250/250 dual lock?

...Do you have any example footage over some rougher surfaces. That stretch of road looks quite smooth to me and the type of surface that my Nextbases would have coped well with...
It would look the same. As I said, there is no vibration apparent with the dual-lock. I selected that clip because of the 'alligator' I ran over. When that happens you can see there is no camera movement. I'll look around and see what I might have that's 'more challenging'.

Are you using 250/250 dual lock?
In this case yes, but that only has a bearing on holding strength. All combinations I've used once engaged are all just as solid/vibration free. I even use the low-profile version which has considerably less holding power but is still very stable when engaged. There probably is some difference but none that I've noticed in real world use.

It is not a 'squishy' connection like Velcro.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Qat A119 V3 23
Back