GPS track missing?

Yeah I agree it is kind of challenge to make use of that data (maybe I underestimated it). But first of all it would be good to hear from @viofo whether we can expect G-sensor to be recorded or not.
BTW I have tested extracting GPS data from the video file to GPX file using Sergei's python script and it seems to work well with the Registrator Viewer (it's showing speed graph, compass and position on Google maps).

I guess it might be worth checking as the RV might be still a great value added for your product. As I have already python environment set up I can also check it for you if you share the video file.
Since you are manufacturer you must have most insight on recording G-Sensor data. Is it something that can be easily enabled in the firmware? Do you record it in SG cameras?

G-Sensor data is not currently logged to file, unless we have a player that can support it there's really no use at the moment

It's just my personal opinion but I think you shouldn't be reluctant to include G-Sensor data in your recordings as this way we are running into chicken and egg problem. If there is no G-sensor data recorded, developers don't have strong motivation to implement it. They don't even have the data to work with. And also it does not occupy much disk space so why not to do it if the cost is low?

there's no cost, we just don't have a suitable player at this time for it to be a priority, if Registrator Viewer had continued I have no doubt we would have done something with it, right now we have other things that need attention first, will there ever be another Registrator Viewer, I'm not sure, there's a massive untapped user base for any programmer that wanted to work on it though

The last argument from me for recording G-sensor data and I promise to stop bugging you anymore ;). Let's assume the player is going to be created in the future and suddenly all the users are delighted with the fact that it works well also with the old recordings because the data is already in place :)

So Phil Harvey has successfully accomplished his work. Exiftool can now produce GPX file from viofo mp4 files. I simply create GPS directory in the root directory of SD card and issue the following command:

exiftool -p gpx.fmt -ee -ext mp4 -w G:/GPS/%f.gpx G:\DCIM\Movie

Note1: gpx.fmt needs to be taken from the tarball.
Note2: Its good to rename/copy "exiftool(-k).exe" to exiftool.exe to avoid waiting for keyboard input before script termination
After the operation is completed Registrator Viewer recognizes location of GPX files and automatically matches it to respective video files, showing speed, location and compass direction.
It does not seem to be a big price for the possibility of using RV but obviously ideally it would be avoid even small inconvenience if viofo camera could produce GPX track in GPS directory. Unfortunately I got information from the Polish support they are not planning any change in this area. I'm keeping fingers crossed for adding G-sensor data (they promised to provide feedback regarding G-sensor).

So Phil Harvey has successfully accomplished his work. Exiftool can now produce GPX file from viofo mp4 files. I simply create GPS directory in the root directory of SD card and issue the following command:

exiftool -p gpx.fmt -ee -ext mp4 -w G:/GPS/%f.gpx G:\DCIM\Movie

Note1: gpx.fmt needs to be taken from the tarball.
Note2: Its good to rename/copy "exiftool(-k).exe" to exiftool.exe to avoid waiting for keyboard input before script termination
After the operation is completed Registrator Viewer recognizes location of GPX files and automatically matches it to respective video files, showing speed, location and compass direction.
It does not seem to be a big price for the possibility of using RV but obviously ideally it would be avoid even small inconvenience if viofo camera could produce GPX track in GPS directory. Unfortunately I got information from the Polish support they are not planning any change in this area. I'm keeping fingers crossed for adding G-sensor data (they promised to provide feedback regarding G-sensor).

nice work

I have attached gpx fmt file with my modifications to add two extra properties: the speed and GPS heading. What I have noticed - if they are not present in the gpx file, Registrator Viewer calculates them based on relative positions of subsequent waypoints, if they exist in GPX file Registrator Viewer uses values from the gpx file. I don't have much experience with GPX format so - use it at your own responsibility ;-).
I'm also going to ask @viofo to add some other properties that every GPS should have (like altitude) and assuming exiftool understands well the structure of GPS information in the video file - they are not recorded. If you have some better ways of putting pressure on them then me sending polite e-mail to Polish sales representative - you can also consider doing it your way ;-).
@jokiin: it looks like that RV also supports G-sensor data, however I don't know what format it expects but it should not be difficult to find it out assuming there is a dash cam that records it in a way that is understood by RV

Attachments

• gpx_fakej.fmt.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 19
RV supports G-Sensor data as most Ambarella models have this information in the the files, the data is a separate feed from the GPS data though so I'm not sure how RV expects to see this data to be able to interpret it

I can't say I'm very surprised but I received quite prompt response from viofo that enriching recordings with any extra gps data is not possible :/. I quite liked to observe speed graph in RV in conjunction with altitude. I'm sure there is a software that can enrich gpx with altitude calculating it from landform information in google maps but that would be yet another piece of software for something that should work out of the box.

Arrived here as I was disappointed that my Toguard CE20 didn't record altitude, or at least not in a way that RV understands it.

Are there any dashcams out there that do record altitude?

The CE20 embeds the GPS data in the .MOV, there is no separate log.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H A119S 4
M A119S 8
S A119S 20
Back