GPS: Yes, Speed: No. How?

Wingsy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just recently got my Mini0801, version 20131225. I'm trying to get the GPS coords on-screen but do not want the speed on-screen. How do I do this, or can I do it at all?

Also, noticed that on my first trip with the mini yesterday, the screen would not go off while driving. It recorded fine but I don't want the display lit up while driving. I've explored all the settings but can't find where I set this. Any help?

Define on-screen?
On screen (LCD) while recording - as far as I know not possible.
On screen (computer/mobile etc) while reviewing the files - possible. Set the time stamp to driver info and put the driver info - either some text or 8 x "_" than it will be empty.
For screen off - set the appriate option in menu - (blank screen or screen off = 1/2/3/off)

Define on-screen?
On screen (LCD) while recording - as far as I know not possible.
On screen (computer/mobile etc) while reviewing the files - possible. Set the time stamp to driver info and put the driver info - either some text or 8 x "_" than it will be empty.
For screen off - set the appriate option in menu - (blank screen or screen off = 1/2/3/off)

Thanks Darnok. But on-screen while recording IS possible. I get date/time plus GPS coordinates plus speed in the top left corner while recording and it's there when played back. What I want though, is for it to not display speed, just everything else.

And on my second drive this morning the screen DID go out after 1 minute. I don't know why it didn't yesterday, so I'll assume it was just me.

And now on to another question. When I set the time to the current time (eastern standard time) it maintains the correct time until it gets a GPS lock, at which time it jumps back 3 hours (to pacific standard time). How can I set the GPS to maintain EST and not jump to PST? (What I'd really like is to see is for it to automatically adjust itself to whatever time zone I'm in, like my car's GPS does. But I know, it has no built-in map so it probably can't do that.)

Just recently got my Mini0801, version 20131225. I'm trying to get the GPS coords on-screen but do not want the speed on-screen. How do I do this, or can I do it at all?

The option is not available at the moment. if GPS location is overlaid on the video, so does the speed info.

Also, noticed that on my first trip with the mini yesterday, the screen would not go off while driving. It recorded fine but I don't want the display lit up while driving. I've explored all the settings but can't find where I set this. Any help?

Go to the menu by holding the up error key --> "Power off screen" --> change the timeout setting.

Thanks.

Thanks Darnok. But on-screen while recording IS possible. I get date/time plus GPS coordinates plus speed in the top left corner while recording and it's there when played back. What I want though, is for it to not display speed, just everything else.

And on my second drive this morning the screen DID go out after 1 minute. I don't know why it didn't yesterday, so I'll assume it was just me.

And now on to another question. When I set the time to the current time (eastern standard time) it maintains the correct time until it gets a GPS lock, at which time it jumps back 3 hours (to pacific standard time). How can I set the GPS to maintain EST and not jump to PST? (What I'd really like is to see is for it to automatically adjust itself to whatever time zone I'm in, like my car's GPS does. But I know, it has no built-in map so it probably can't do that.)

Good suggestions, Wingsy. You need to go to the camera menu and change "time setup" to -05 which is correspondent to EST. This should fix the issue for you.

Good suggestions, Wingsy. You need to go to the camera menu and change "time setup" to -05 which is correspondent to EST. This should fix the issue for you.
I'm deaf in my left ear and now I think that has migrated to my eyes. It's there, just like you said. I had looked at that menu over & over and missed that setting every time! Thanks.

I'm deaf in my left ear and now I think that has migrated to my eyes. It's there, just like you said. I had looked at that menu over & over and missed that setting every time! Thanks.

My pleasure. For my curiosity, since i did not do road trips crossing multiple time zones for a long time, does your car's GPS auto adjust when you cross time zones?

Thanks.

My pleasure. For my curiosity, since i did not do road trips crossing multiple time zones for a long time, does your car's GPS auto adjust when you cross time zones?

Thanks.
Yes it does. It's the nav system that's part of the U-Connect system that comes with Dodge products (the Charger for sure, as that is what I have).

Yes it does. It's the nav system that's part of the U-Connect system that comes with Dodge products (the Charger for sure, as that is what I have).
Great, it is nice to know Thanks Wingsy.

I guess I can modify the kernel to not render the speed into the video (would be hardcoded).
I'll give it a try.

That one was easy:
DSC_5899.JPG

Proof on rendered video:
nospeed.png

I could even modify the menu to let you choose between KPH / NO SPEED

1) Turn off ALL embedded OSD (GPS Speed/Location info is still logged)
2) Use RegistratorViewer on a PC, choose to embedd the data of your choosing in the font & location you desire)
http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html

This is the best option so your original video isn't touched. You can add the OSD afterwards via registratorviewer. You can even create a subtitle file if you want the OSD data to be optional when played via VLC player etc.

I could even modify the menu to let you choose between KPH / NO SPEED
Just checked again: I can't modify the menu that way (cause I have no idea how to change the strings included in strings.bin) but I can remove the OSD and rendered speed. Drop me a message if you want that.

Just go to Amazon and order this for about $9.
E-PRANCE New Mini 0801 DVR Recorder Mount Holder,Without GPS Logger
This is the mount only and does not have the GPS. Did your come with the CD? Mine did not, so I downloaded the program that I found somewhere on here. Just curious. I received mine today, ordered on Amazon direct from E Prance. It has the 32G micro SDHC, GPS mount and I used it all day. No problems at all. It has the firmware 20131230. I understand that is the latest and I will NEVER try to upgrade. I have read way too many horror stories about trying that.

the CD is no longer included, it contained very poor playback software anyway, just download Registrator Viewer, far better than any of the included software packages

the CD is no longer included, it contained very poor playback software anyway, just download Registrator Viewer, far better than any of the included software packages
jokiin. Thanks a bunch. I downloaded the viewing program that I believe was what would have been on the disk. I'll now download the "Registrator Viewer" you speak of. Thanks.
BTW, last night I left my 801 in my car and turned on. I have three power point sockets in my car and two are always on. I installed these connected to my inside fuse block on empty slots, and both are fused using
Littelfuse FHA200BP ATO Add-A-Circuit Kit that I bought local. This morning I removed the camera, wrapped in several layers of T-shirts to allow it to slowly reach indoor ambient temperature. The camera does come on, but when connected to my PC via USB, it cycles between "Connecting to USB" and a blank screen and the device never shows up on the PC. Yesterday it would show up as a 'Mass storage device"...today nothing. I believe it may have moisture inside, so I now have it packed in 16 ounces of Mil-D-3464E Desiccant. Of course after it failed to show up on PC I made sure it was turned off so as to, hopefully, prevent a short inside the device.

What advice do you have as far as, am I doing the correct procedure? Thanks.

I'm not sure what you're doing that's moisture related, wrapping in t-shirts etc

If the card is external pop the card out and use a card reader, far better way to access the files

I'm not sure what you're doing that's moisture related, wrapping in t-shirts etc

If the card is external pop the card out and use a card reader, far better way to access the files

I'll do that.
The temperature last night was 31 F, inside my house the temp is 72 F. I didn't want condensation to occur inside the camera due to the 41 degree difference in the two locations. I'm a gunsmith and use Desiccant to keep guns from rusting in the safe. I have used it in the past to remove water inside varies optics and a cell phone.

I'll do that.
The temperature last night was 31 F, inside my house the temp is 72 F. I didn't want condensation to occur inside the camera due to the 41 degree difference in the two locations. I'm a gunsmith and use Desiccant to keep guns from rusting in the safe. I have used it in the past to remove water inside varies optics and a cell phone.

if it's turned off when you bring it in is no issue, if it had been running before you brought it in it would be warmer than the temps outside also

haven't seen a car camera yet that makes a great card reader, better to take the card out and use a proper card reader to access the files

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Mini 0801 0
L Mini 0801 0
M Mini 0801 3
A Mini 0801 0
Back